• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea but it’s Panamrra! Ie their between bmw 5 and 7 series SEDAN!

edit size wise

Better make it two fire extinguishers then :fonz:

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
friend (also a former mechanic) is telling me if i had $10,000 to buy a fun car, i should buy a $5,000 2010 Mazda RX8. and save the rest for when you need a new engine.

not a bad idea. hmmmm. . . .

He did like the Benz E class idea tho. it's a good ongoing topic.

I was considering the RX-8 before the Civic Si. I was talked out of it by my Lexus service manager with how much you have to rev out their engines to keep them running efficiently. He had a 2007 Civic Si just like my future one. All it took was one ride in the passenger seat and I was sold. This guy was a maniac; he hit 110mph in a 50 zone at 12pm on a busy local highway.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
d7lvlicihyp41.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure if it works with that particular Ferrari, namely something so famously Red. Wonder if that once belonged to the Sultan of Brunei

Although strangely I like it on the 246 Dino GTS

BD72963D-B248-4428-9953-E5AC7BF57789.jpeg

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I was considering the RX-8 before the Civic Si. I was talked out of it by my Lexus service manager with how much you have to rev out their engines to keep them running efficiently. He had a 2007 Civic Si just like my future one. All it took was one ride in the passenger seat and I was sold. This guy was a maniac; he hit 110mph in a 50 zone at 12pm on a busy local highway.
Yeah, he ( Mazda/air cooled/F1 guy) was like, bro. these cars are the jam. but you gotta bounce the limiter regularly. all the time. they don't like short trips and traffic.
me: they want to sing?
Exactly!
me: can do.

I'm a subaru guy, i get the special care thing. if it means clutch in, make musical sounds? so in.

The rumored problems have made them a steal.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was driving to a Sunday F1 dealer event in the Ferrari 328 when all of a sudden a hose split that sent antifreeze all over the engine bay. For 15 agonizing miles smoke billowed from underneath the bonnet. Luckily no fires were started but had they, I would’ve been SOL. No fire extinguisher in tow.

If a fire started, its unlikely that the fire extinguisher in the car would have saved it. If a fire breaks out and your or your passenger's clothes catch on fire it will save you. The techs that work on my car said, once hose or line breaks and you have a fire, unless you have a full fire suppression system built into the car, consider it gone and get out ASAP.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a fire started, its unlikely that the fire extinguisher in the car would have saved it. If a fire breaks out and your or your passenger's clothes catch on fire it will save you. The techs that work on my car said, once hose or line breaks and you have a fire, unless you have a full fire suppression system built into the car, consider it gone and get out ASAP.

Sounds like an expensive upgrade. I’ve only seen that system once, and it was in a Scuderia.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an expensive upgrade. I’ve only seen that system once, and it was in a Scuderia.
Interesting anecdote:
One of the organizations I work with does a lot of homologation and testing for Europe. It’s one of the few independents in the world, so a lot of traffic and quite a few very very new cars. Anyway, for testing they have what is basically a freeze box and An oven to test the cars at extreme temps, as well as your normal roller benches. From olden days on they only needed foam and water to put out the cars if they caught fire. In the last two years they had to outfit their sites with quite expensive nitrogen pumps. It’s the only way to kill a fire in battery systems, no matter if it’s a mild hybrid, plug in or the worst, full electric. The thing is, that only works in an enclosed environment.

So now they have a small r&d program to see what can be done mitigate roadside e-car fires. From what I hear the only thing they came up with is a fire resistant harpoon like device to basically pull the vehicle off the road, where it can burn out. It’s quite the interesting conundrum.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First track day of the year on in a couple of days. Many months overdue, and beyond excited. Curious to see how terrible the car performs, given the stock coilovers are turned all the way down (I'm running 19" wheels right now).

As nerve-wracking as it is, the track is the only time I can fully disconnect from the world and be 100% present and in the moment. For me, it's the best form of therapy and how I can easily justify owning a car this expensive and maintaining a hobby this expensive.

miles end 2019May Area27 Trackday_371.jpg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about that vs jay leno...

Jay Leno would look like an amateur collector by comparison. Although judging by that insane list I would argue that the Sultan had some unusual taste for a man of his wealth. I lost count of how many Toyota Corollas he had. Like WTF!?!

Also it appears he organized his cars according to color and had dedicated wings for certain brands. That's insanity

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads