• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Dark green and dark brown interior is the best combo. I'm not wild about those gold wheels as a rule, but I don't think it looks bad.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey, it’s ok not to like the color on a certain car. No rules or principles needed. But that principle as stated makes no sense. “Coherent” with what? A time period? But like I said, BRG has no “time period”...

there was a really great BRG GT3 touring down here in Miami. Really made me re-appreciate the color. Sadly I think the owner totaled the thing

Signal Yellow is a "vintage" colour and you're lying if you say you don't think this looks good:

Haven’t I said I think Signal Yellow is one of the best Porsche colors (and yellows) ever? Looks great on a GT3.

Let me be more specific. The issue is not that dark greens (including BRG) are “vintage” alone, but that they work best with trim and materials from older eras (like chrome and tan leathers) as opposed to the carbon fiber or black plastic prevalent with modern sports cars. In a less aggressive, less edgy, less technology-forward, more heritage-inspired car—such as a Touring with chrome trim—BRG can work. On a GT2 RS that has zero “vintage” or “heritage” quality to it? Nope. Some of this is due to poor contrast with dark plastic and CF styling details. But to me, it is mostly a thematic issue. Dark greens are earthy, naturalistic, gentlemanly colors. A winged GT3 or GT2 RS or Huracan or Pista are not any of those things.

Signal Yellow is more versatile, though it is vintage. Contemporary colors tend to be much more saturated. Signal Yellow happens to fit in. It does not look any bit “old timey”. Also, it is a Porsche color. In the same way, if McLaren were to put BRG or a dark green on a car even as radically modern as a Senna, it gets more of a pass. After all, coherence has as much to do with clear expression as anything else, so voicing heritage and history matter. Sure, Porsche has used dark greens on its historical cars, but there is no intimate entanglement with Porsche identity the same way as with BRG and English cars.

Also, I don’t think darker colors look as good on current GT cars from Porsche in general. They have a lot of black/dark exterior trim pieces. Brighter colors highlight them rather than blend together. With black, BRG, very dark blues, etc., you muddle a lot of the detail that makes these cars interesting to look at.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure I like the wood trim, but the funny thing is dark green on brown is how Professor Porsche liked his own personal cars to be spec'd. He was an avid hunter and liked these colors. His personal 930 in the Porsche Museum in Germany is in Oak Metallic Green (dark green), with color matched Fuch wheels, and a brown interior.

Like I’ve been trying (and evidently failing) to communicate, to me, the issue is not that there is anything inherently wrong with dark green as a color or wood as interior trim (and they do often go well together). However, the way materials and technology have developed, we are seeing a lot more black/dark trim on the inside and outside of modern sports cars. Dark green muddles these details. Moreover, for right or wrong, dark green is broadly construed as a very traditional, clubby, often more country-appropriate, even rustic color. This is true not just with cars. So when the car in question is styled to wear its modern technology on its sleeve, dark greens generate dissonance.

As for BRG being a vintage color, yes may be it is, but can't the same be said about black, white, silver, red, yellow, or perhaps even your Miami Blue color as it isn't that far off from French Blue the color worn by the original Bugatti racing cars?

As mentioned above in my other post, some vintage colors fit it better with modern colors than others. Generally speaking, modern colors are bolder and more saturated. French blue would look great on a modern sports car.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seriously who order fire extinguisher on Panamera... I want to talk to him to find out his reason...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seriously who order fire extinguisher on Panamera... I want to talk to him to find out his reason...

Maybe he intends to do DE events every now and then and a fire extinguisher is required?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well to be fair, more then a few Porsche’s have burst into flames over the years, so a fire extinguisher is probably one of the most important options you could choose. It should be standard equipment on not just Porsche but every sports car for that matter.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shots fired.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shots fired.

Not really, just being observant. That’s why I ended it with “every sports cars for that matter”. Because Porsche isn’t the only car with fire incidents

I was driving to a Sunday F1 dealer event in the Ferrari 328 when all of a sudden a hose split that sent antifreeze all over the engine bay. For 15 agonizing miles smoke billowed from underneath the bonnet. Luckily no fires were started but had they, I would’ve been SOL. No fire extinguisher in tow.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well to be fair, more then a few Porsche’s have burst into flames over the years, so a fire extinguisher is probably one of the most important options you could choose. It should be standard equipment on not just Porsche but every sports car for that matter.
McLaren is telling Porsche “hold my beer” right now.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

yea but it’s Panamrra! Ie their between bmw 5 and 7 series SEDAN!

edit size wise

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In another news Supra gets same B58 as M340i starting 2021, nearly 50hp bump without more weight... I would not be happy if I bought 2020, Toyota should have gone that way from the get go...

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
friend (also a former mechanic) is telling me if i had $10,000 to buy a fun car, i should buy a $5,000 2010 Mazda RX8. and save the rest for when you need a new engine.

not a bad idea. hmmmm. . . .

He did like the Benz E class idea tho. it's a good ongoing topic.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you want a toy how about RX-7, imagine they’re not cheap though...

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Too pricey, and the Chassis in the Rx8 is better, i like the look, and the rear doorlets for my son.

but the engine sucks.
he's saying keep half the money, add to it slowly, then buy a fresh "built" engine.

they are an absolute bargain right now.

Something like this?
the premium model.
Or this, the lowest price,lowest kilometer manuel car currently for sale right now. (base)

Bargains.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads