• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can respect anyone’s opinion, but if you think this looks bad my opinion is you have terrible taste.

View attachment 1394528
I have that same color scheme (basically) on my Range Rover Classic. Just take that car and turn it into a giant box with much bigger tires and you'll get the idea.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have that same color scheme (basically) on my Range Rover Classic. Just take that car and turn it into a giant box with much bigger tires and you'll get the idea.

Like I said, nothing wrong with the color itself, but rather the context. Earthy, country-ish colors like dark green make perfect sense for an SUV.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s British “racing” green for a reason tho

(Unless it’s Brewster...we’ve established that greens are not my strong suit)

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely not racing anything in my old Range Rover. :D

When I restored my 2002, I toyed with the idea of repainting it BRG, but ultimately decided that it seemed wrong to me. I stuck with the original Anthracite Grey.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It’s British “racing” green for a reason tho

(Unless it’s Brewster...we’ve established that greens are not my strong suit)

I went over this though. BRG makes sense on vintage sports cars, given trim, materials, etc. The GT2 is laden with black plastic, carbon fiber, vents, a giant wing, etc.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went over this though. BRG makes sense on vintage sports cars, given trim, materials, etc. The GT2 is laden with black plastic, carbon fiber, vents, a giant wing, etc.
BRG isn’t a vintage racing color, though. Jaguar no longer has a racing team, but they used the color until the bitter end in the mid 2000’s (?). Don’t know if Bentley and Lotus still use the color but they have done so fairly recently.

maybe the issue is that German racingcars are supposed to be silver? It’s exhausting keeping up with all these “rules” :laugh:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
BRG isn’t a vintage racing color, though. Jaguar no longer has a racing team, but they used the color until the bitter end in the mid 2000’s (?). Don’t know if Bentley and Lotus still use the color but they have done so fairly recently.

maybe the issue is that German racingcars are supposed to be silver? It’s exhausting keeping up with all these “rules” :laugh:

It’s not a “rule.” Coherence is a fundamental principle of good design.

And it is a vintage color, no matter how long it has remained in use.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, it’s ok not to like the color on a certain car. No rules or principles needed. But that principle as stated makes no sense. “Coherent” with what? A time period? But like I said, BRG has no “time period”...

there was a really great BRG GT3 touring down here in Miami. Really made me re-appreciate the color. Sadly I think the owner totaled the thing

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I can't figure out, based on what I've seen the last few pages, is how this Porsche interior stuff has developed to where it is. Like is the obsession with 1 of 1 because people think there are going to be big $$ in the future for their precious car or for bragging rights? It this a cars and coffee thing? Or is there something I'm missing? Does this have something to do with consumers being more educated and wanting to make everything exactly the way they want it? Like is this what drove Burger King to let you have it your way?

Porsche has always offered customization of their car exteriors and interiors. I can remember reading a story in the 1980s, about a guy who wanted his Porsche's paint to be the same color as his wife or girlfriend's lipstick. So he sent them her lipstick and they matched it. Even in the 80's the list of custom options where one could cover just about everything in leather existed back then. However, it seemed far rarer for people to actually go as far as they do today and spend such insane amounts on leather extras. Perhaps, it is that there are more millionaires and billionaires today who are used to having things customized to their taste. I suppose for someone who loves cars, it is also the closest one can come to building your own vehicle without starting a car company.

I agree, with you that there are many people who customize things and end up with a product that simply doesn't look as good as the stock item.

Uggh. This is atrocious. That green on a Touring is a fine choice for the exterior. But brown leather and wood trim? Combined with black plastic trim, black webbing, and black nylon door handle straps?

I'm not sure I like the wood trim, but the funny thing is dark green on brown is how Professor Porsche liked his own personal cars to be spec'd. He was an avid hunter and liked these colors. His personal 930 in the Porsche Museum in Germany is in Oak Metallic Green (dark green), with color matched Fuch wheels, and a brown interior.

As for BRG being a vintage color, yes may be it is, but can't the same be said about black, white, silver, red, yellow, or perhaps even your Miami Blue color as it isn't that far off from French Blue the color worn by the original Bugatti racing cars?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
all these porsche talk made in go to the porsche website and look, some of these options are so... Porsche, why do I want fire extinguisher in Panamera...

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

Sounds like what I'm hearing is a mix of people with particular tastes (Foo), people who have become accustomed to custom and appreciate the personal touches (Hroi), people who think someone will be impressed by the color of their seat belts, etc. (eg Veblen showoffs), and perhaps a few others.

I feel like there are so many functional options (and aftermarket choices) to agonize over, that I couldn't be bothered to customize the interior, but I recognize that I'm probably an outlier because I am very adverse to running errands. Although I enjoy driving cars, and would love to do some performance driving courses, track days, etc. I find shopping for them to be a loathsome errand. Figuring out which seats, suspension and brakes would probably by my focus as those would be more likely to impact my enjoyment.

If I'm being honest with myself, this is probably not something I need to worry about for at least another decade. I have so little personal time that I can't imagine taking any of it to tend to an extra car and drive it just for enjoyment. Every time I think it would be fun, I realize I would rather be mountain biking, skiing or doing something else. I'm sure that will change as I age.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

Sounds like what I'm hearing is a mix of people with particular tastes (Foo), people who have become accustomed to custom and appreciate the personal touches (Hroi), people who think someone will be impressed by the color of their seat belts, etc. (eg Veblen showoffs), and perhaps a few others.

I feel like there are so many functional options (and aftermarket choices) to agonize over, that I couldn't be bothered to customize the interior, but I recognize that I'm probably an outlier because I am very adverse to running errands. Although I enjoy driving cars, and would love to do some performance driving courses, track days, etc. I find shopping for them to be a loathsome errand. Figuring out which seats, suspension and brakes would probably by my focus as those would be more likely to impact my enjoyment.

If I'm being honest with myself, this is probably not something I need to worry about for at least another decade. I have so little personal time that I can't imagine taking any of it to tend to an extra car and drive it just for enjoyment. Every time I think it would be fun, I realize I would rather be mountain biking, skiing or doing something else. I'm sure that will change as I age.
Yeah, so you’re likely a “forget the affectations and pick from the menu” customer. Who is the kind of customer who leaves the dealership with more money left in his pocket.

you will find a good enough exterior and interior color and would just have to decide the functional options that have value to you - like ceramic brakes, bucket seats, upgraded sound system, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads