• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone else think track ready STIs just look awkward on a track?

Not trying to hate (and I've considered a WRX before they axed the US hatchback), but taking this tall-looking 4-door sedan with a big wing (especially if you slam the suspension and throw in an aggressive body kit) cornering hard on black asphalt just looks totally out of place.

Not this bad but...

It is a god damn rally car, let it look like it could still touch some dirt.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, just own it. No problem with a little trash talking - Thrift does the Subaru v world all the time and we have a little friendly banter. what i was calling out was the whole “oh my, how triggered you all are” shtick.

Regarding the videos, i loved the Integrale and the production of that video. I briefly met Magnus at the Amelia Island concours in 2018, and found him to be a friendly, gracious guy. Even gave me a sticker of his little logo :laugh:

But i don’t know about that Subaru “womping” a base Cayman. It gets a jump off the line and gets reeled in like a largemouth bass by the mile marker. Sure, it gets the “W” to 60 and the quarter mile, so i guess it depends on whether we’re going to the next stoplight or farther out. Not something i put a lot of thought into - i lose every time to STi drivers anyway, because I’m not racing :laugh:

All part of my plan. Was trying to redirect the conversation away from depressing **** like unforeseen quarterly loses from the virus, so I went with a little Thrift Vader style.

No denying the Porsche finally caught up and eventually tied which was impressive, but it did take plenty long (like 98% of the mile). Would be interesting to see who wins after a cars worth of mods get put in.

Cool that you met Magnus, his story is very inspiring.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else think track ready STIs just look awkward on a track?

Not trying to hate (and I've considered a WRX before they axed the US hatchback), but taking this tall-looking 4-door sedan with a big wing (especially if you slam the suspension and throw in an aggressive body kit) cornering hard on black asphalt just looks totally out of place.

Not this bad but...

It is a god damn rally car, let it look like it could still touch some dirt.

Ever hear of Isle of Man TT? This isn’t your average tarmac track or your average driver.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s a function of starting with a sedan body that’s originally designed to maximize interior space/headroom. It’s the same thing with M3’s and Evos.

Adding crazy fender flares balances the aesthetics (along with the functional benefit of being able to fit wider rubber) but there’s only so much you can do to mask the tallness.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean I'm not saying they won't perform well or be fast on the track...they just look out of place. Same goes for the Evo

M3 doesn't look as odd--I think it is the longer hood line and more sloping rear windshield (and all of the other bodylines).
1586279039254.png

Look much more at home here
1586279168833.png

I'd say it was because the M3 was designed as a street car and the sti was designed as a rally car, but I'm not sure that is actually true. Maybe the performance arms of the company have some say on the overall car design (and the designers of later models obviously want to capitalize on racing heritage), but at the end of the day both the 3-series and the Impreza are designed to be small sedans and the performance models are just built on top of those bodies.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean I'm not saying they won't perform well or be fast on the track...they just look out of place. Same goes for the Evo

M3 doesn't look as odd--I think it is the longer hood line and more sloping rear windshield (and all of the other bodylines).
View attachment 1367515

Look much more at home here
View attachment 1367516

I'd say it was because the M3 was designed as a street car and the sti was designed as a rally car, but I'm not sure that is actually true. Maybe the performance arms of the company have some say on the overall car design (and the designers of later models obviously want to capitalize on racing heritage), but at the end of the day both the 3-series and the Impreza are designed to be small sedans and the performance models are just built on top of those bodies.

I can appreciate that outlook. The WRX will always shine (figuratively speaking...see what i did there?) in the dirt/mud/snow. I personally don’t know why people prefer tracking an STI anyway. The same goes for those that slam and stance them...why? One of the greatest attributes of the WRX is the ground clearance and the ability to get through almost anything in its path.

Speaking of looking out of place, meant to share this sooner. Maybe if one day i ever buy my Dentists 1987 Ferrari 328, I’ll eventually rebuild it like one of these.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd say it was because the M3 was designed as a street car and the sti was designed as a rally car, but I'm not sure that is actually true.
Not in the way that i think you mean. The STI bones are the Impreza’s, which is a street economy compact car.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree, but then i saw the name Gemballa and realized that the car was ruined long before it crashed

That company peaked during the height of the Gumball 3000 rallies

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same guy totaled a McLaren 12C back in 2013

He also allegedly damaged a CLK GTR. Apparently he's some trust fund kid (Ben Chen) with $6 Billion in the bank, so I doubt he will even care about "one" of his Carrera GT's being wrecked, let alone learn a humbling lesson from it. He seems pretty lucky though, as he keeps escaping the Darwin Award.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads