• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No teaser pics of the new daily? Any side by side of the old vs. new?
29178533-322C-442F-BE3F-5DE1E0FA4315.jpeg
0AB60018-287E-4362-9CEC-57243CB606E1.jpeg

So far these are the only photos I’ve taken. This is at the dealership’s underground garage. The senior partner’s brother owns a Toyota dealership and a Honda dealership, and I could get a nice deal on something from either brand. Main criteria were not too expensive (since we driver our daily drivers into the ground), AWD, good gas mileage and reliable. It’s a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid XLE.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s what the RAV4 looks like now? It has design cues from mid-2000’s Mitsubishi

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My buddy got a base model awd rav4 hybrid recently and it is quite nice. Would be high on my list if I were looking for something in that vein. Seems like a good car for the mountains since the electric motors don't care much about altitude and the regenerative braking does great on the descents.

Although it does have a bit of that overly aggressive angular trend that automakers are applying to everything. Not as bad as the recent civics, but the rear taillight is surprisingly angry.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My buddy got a base model awd rav4 hybrid recently and it is quite nice. Would be high on my list if I were looking for something in that vein. Seems like a good car for the mountains since the electric motors don't care much about altitude and the regenerative braking does great on the descents.

Although it does have a bit of that overly aggressive angular trend that automakers are applying to everything. Not as bad as the recent civics, but the rear taillight is surprisingly angry.

In keeping the price reasonable since it won't be worth anything after 200K miles, there wasn't much that fit our basic requirements. I could have picked up a nicely equipped 2019 WRX or 2020 Legacy for less money, but they just haven't been doing well with quality control in recent years. The WRX seemed too small, and most people that I've known with turbocharged Subies have had a lot more issues with far less mileage than we had with our basic NA Legacy, not to mention I already have one thirsty car that loves visiting gas stations.

The CRV was the closest competitor, but we didn't like its looks, and a service adviser we know- for an independent shop said he would choose a Toyota over a Honda. Yes, the new RAVs are rather angular, but I can live with that. I've always thought most Toyotas were a bit bland an boring looking (although I did like the old 2000GT and the 1984 Supra, which itself was a bit angular). Overall it's nicely equipped and has the 3 main option packages plus a few small options. Knock on wood it will serve us well and be something I don't have to worry about when the Mrs wants to park it in a lot filled with shopping carts (grocery, store, Target or the mall).

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should check out bimmerforum, so the current lane keep assist in BMW will try to force you back in lane if you turn without using turn signal first (IMO still very easy to over power it so in true emergency you should still be able to do it)... and that was like number one complain...
We all turn that off lol, I do on my M340i, that thing is more trouble than it's worth.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found some old photos. The first two vehicles I purchased, drove them back to back.

83 GTI, purchased in 1990 while in college. 1990 GTI purchased in 1995, right out of college. I still have a fondness for those old school BBS wheels. That massive wheel gap!!

vw_gti_83_1.jpg

vw_gti_83_2.jpg

vw_gti_90_1.jpg

vw_gti_90_2.jpg

Note, 1972 Opel GT in background. My dad bought it new. I learned to drive a stick on that thing.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool! Love seeing old GTIs on the road. So many guys I knew obsessed about owning one when I was in high school.

The BBS wheels bring back memories. I still have a 16" 3 piece BBS wheel in my garage, that was on one of my Dad's Porsches in the 80's. He curbed it parking and bought new rim for the car. I've been meaning to get a piece of glass cut to turn it into a coffee table for the "Man cave," but haven't gotten around to it.

Very cool that your dad bought that Opel GT new and still has it. My dad's friend had one when I was a little kid.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool! Love seeing old GTIs on the road. So many guys I knew obsessed about owning one when I was in high school.

The BBS wheels bring back memories. I still have a 16" 3 piece BBS wheel in my garage, that was on one of my Dad's Porsches in the 80's. He curbed it parking and bought new rim for the car. I've been meaning to get a piece of glass cut to turn it into a coffee table for the "Man cave," but haven't gotten around to it.

Very cool that your dad bought that Opel GT new and still has it. My dad's friend had one when I was a little kid.

thanks @Dino944

I love that table idea. Too bad you only saved one! Makes me want to look for an old one for my home office.

RE: the Opel, anytime I smell Bondo to this day it brings me right back to working on that car with my Dad when I was a kid. It stopped running by the late 90’s. I think my Mom made him get it out of the driveway around that time.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Found it!!!!!!!

@OtterMeanGreen won't remember. but this is what i used to do.

flashback:
postal3.jpg

Wagyu farm find. Japanese Postal Van. Painted white.
had a strapping farm lad help lift it out of the ground. and reeled it onto the truck.

postal pasture.jpg

which led to. .
postalrust.jpg

The "Deff Star"
- note the twin Turbo Legacy Wagon in the Background.
postalrust2.jpg
postal4.jpg

This thing was solid. built for a 4g63 engine swap. wearing BBS RG's, and ready to go.
it even had an interior. (Momo "Race" steering wheel not pictured.)
postal interior2.jpg

This is all my hands. a Rat Rod JDM Postal van.
half done project i wish i kept.
Did'nt get to finish it.
A long time ago. - a dude bought me out. didn't swap it.
The engine died so sad .

Last edited:

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found some old photos. The first two vehicles I purchased, drove them back to back.

83 GTI, purchased in 1990 while in college. 1990 GTI purchased in 1995, right out of college. I still have a fondness for those old school BBS wheels. That massive wheel gap!!

View attachment 1327260

View attachment 1327261

View attachment 1327263

View attachment 1327264

Note, 1972 Opel GT in background. My dad bought it new. I learned to drive a stick on that thing.
Very cool to see those again. The GTI truly was the it car for everybody where I lived back in the mid nineties, even greeting each other when passing like motorcycles. Every 18 year old wanted one when they got their license. And as a result, killed quite a few of them, invariably wrapped around a tree at high speed.

As a result of that my first car back then was a VW polo with 75hp, My parents way to make sure I survived those first few years. And considering I still managed to lose my license for speeding with it, they where right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads