• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please share your comparisons when shopping for a new car. Highlanders are surprisingly hitting luxury brand prices depending on how they are spec'd. I have an uncle with a Highlander I think he said was $60K when all was said and done.

We won't be spending anywhere near that on whatever we buy. We always buy 1 vehicle that we basically drive into the ground (take to grocery stores, trips to NYC, and other places where parking sucks, etc), so we try to keep it as inexpensive as possible. Our basic criteria are AWD, at least 30mpg, and if possible under 30K. The last 3 vehicles that we used for this purpose a Nissan Atlima (204K miles), an '04 Legacy (202K miles), and '10 Legacy (246K miles). My wife and I actually like Subies more, but with their falling drastically in terms of quality rankings, we are leaning toward either a Camry when AWD is available or Rav4 Hybrid. So nothing exciting. We were just surprised to find out how long a Camry is. It is about an inch longer than a 4Runner.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Parking space where he just fits and needs to back it up into the wall to fit?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My best explanation is that he is an awful parallel parker who parks by "feel" and that he thought getting a rubber pad might make it ok to back into people's cars?

And when you see a rear bumper this bad, it is always a sign of an asshole. Occasional bumping might be unavoidable in tight city spots, but your rear doesn't get that bad unless you consistently back into cars while parking.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My best explanation is that he is an awful parallel parker who parks by "feel" and that he thought getting a rubber pad might make it ok to back into people's cars?

And when you see a rear bumper this bad, it is always a sign of an asshole. Occasional bumping might be unavoidable in tight city spots, but your rear doesn't get that bad unless you consistently back into cars while parking.

My high school teacher park by feel , ALL the time, and it’s a tiny hatch too...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My high school teacher park by feel , ALL the time, and it’s a tiny hatch too...

My friend had just finished parallel parking his car, and a guy with a small car pulled up, put down his window and said, "If you pull forward a little I can park behind you." My friend said, "If I pull forward, I won't be able to get my car out when I want to leave." The other guy responded, "Just use your bumpers man. That's what they're for!" :brick:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
He would have for extra money...

Washes are good. I have about 3 options I use depending on scenario. 2 bucket shampoo with microfiber mitt, quick spray down at the coin op, or coin op spray down followed by the method where you use a stack of folded microfibers saturated in ONR and simply never reuse a so side (the coin op won't yell at me because it doesn't really look like a bucket wash... More like just drying the car). Can't convince myself to just use ONR without an initial pressure stage... People say it is fine, but I just wanna blast the grit off first.

The latter was mostly when my building's garage was out of commission... Now the wash bay is available again (and the hose even has hot water).

Now that there is salt on the roads, I wouldn't mind finding a good touchless with an undercarriage sprayer... Coating guy said that's ok as long as they use decent chemicals, but most of the drive throughs around here still have contact brushes...

Good that you're doing your best to maintain it, I imagine most people don't keep up with it for too long or think ceramic is impenetrable. Not a fan of rinse less washes but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess. That's the problem with automated washes, harsh detergents. Ideally you'd have an undercarriage sprayer for a pressure washer for that application though. I'm thinking of doing a light ceramic on a couple of our cars but the polymer and sio2 spray on sealants are so good and easy it's hard to convince myself.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
#savethemanuals

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Uh oh...poor 718 owners. This news will turbocharge (pun intended) their inferiority complex...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads