• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Did you debadge yours? Is that Imola interior? Very nice. I would really, really, like to put M6 wheels on mine.

Mine is debadged. It gives the lines a cleaner look and even with the badges no one knew what it was, so I had nothing to lose.
laugh.gif

I wanted an Imola interior, but wound up with black/carbon - just last week I was talking to an M3 owner about changing the color, he'd had a shop take him from gray to saddle on his interior and it was well done.

The M6 style wheels do look good on them, but you'll have to go with replicas - the originals won't fit.

Back when the M Division had some integrity, they often wouldn't follow the party line. The Z4Ms thus didn't get run-flats, electric power steering, or fog lights. I've owned a non-M Z4 and the changes do make a big difference, especially the steering - much more feel than the EPS, though that wasn't awful or anything. I like the concept of run-flats, but the tires simply aren't there yet - on my roadster I swapped them for regular tires and bought tire goo for emergencies.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
At the time, run-flats weren't good enough for M cars, though that seems to have changed with the M trucks. Congrats on a beautiful car, BTW. Hope you enjoy it for years to come. --Andre
Ah. We basically never sell cars, so I hope too, also. Soooooo different from anything else I have ever driven. Still can't nail the 1->2 upshift for some reason.
Originally Posted by epb
Mine is debadged. It gives the lines a cleaner look and even with the badges no one knew what it was, so I had nothing to lose.
laugh.gif
I wanted an Imola interior, but wound up with black/carbon - just last week I was talking to an M3 owner about changing the color, he'd had a shop take him from gray to saddle on his interior and it was well done. The M6 style wheels do look good on them, but you'll have to go with replicas - the originals won't fit. Back when the M Division had some integrity, they often wouldn't follow the party line. The Z4Ms thus didn't get run-flats, electric power steering, or fog lights. I've owned a non-M Z4 and the changes do make a big difference, especially the steering - much more feel than the EPS, though that wasn't awful or anything. I like the concept of run-flats, but the tires simply aren't there yet - on my roadster I swapped them for regular tires and bought tire goo for emergencies.

Hmm, yeah, the first M Coupe I ever saw was up on the Gold Coast area in CT, it was Interlagos, and I thought "what. is. that?" Had a hard time even finding out, they are such rare birds. I was looking for Interlagos over Light Sepang with the Madeira, but only two, I think, were made with that combo. This one is the LSepang/Carbon, which I like, vs. the aluminum, which I don't particularly like. What, has the M division rolled over or something? I am unclear on this a little. Thanks for the tip on the wheels. ~H
dsc4117.jpg

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still can't nail the 1->2 upshift for some reason.

The gear ratio differences are pretty big, so you have to wait a while, and if the car still has the clutch delay valve, that can screw up the shift feel too.

--Andre

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We basically never sell cars, so I hope too, also. Soooooo different from anything else I have ever driven.

The cars look great together. You did a good job with the garage.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
The gear ratio differences are pretty big, so you have to wait a while, and if the car still has the clutch delay valve, that can screw up the shift feel too. --Andre
Wow, I've been reading about that -- remarkable, and I thank you. What do you mean by 'wait a while?' Sorry if I'm being dense.
Originally Posted by JayJay
The cars look great together. You did a good job with the garage.
Thanks, man. Took the Jag to a company function yesterday so she wouldn't feel neglected. Such incredibly different experiences. Actually, this is the first garage I've ever had. It's nice to get in a car in the pouring rain and not have to fiddle with an umbrella, or get in after a foot of snow has fallen and not have to clean off the car! ~ H

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I've been reading about that -- remarkable, and I thank you. What do you mean by 'wait a while?' Sorry if I'm being dense.

Since the gear ratio difference between 1st and 2nd is so big, when you upshift, you have to wait longer for the revs to fall before releasing the clutch so that you get a smooth engagement. However, because it takes so long, the car slows down more, and it feels like a big lag instead of a continuous feeling. If you don't wait long enough for the revs to fall, and engage immediately, the car will jerk forward. If you wait too long, it feels like you're braking jerkily. Judging this timing gets further complicated by the CDV.

Zeckhausen is a good place to get modified CDVs.

--Andre

epb

Reaction score
Ah. We basically never sell cars, so I hope too, also. Soooooo different from anything else I have ever driven. Still can't nail the 1->2 upshift for some reason.

What, has the M division rolled over or something? I am unclear on this a little.

The CDV has some of the blame, but really, I think people tend to under-rev in the US compared to Europeans, which is why they don't complain as much about it. Things should smooth out if you take first up to 3000-3500rpm (which is a bit sooner for me, I've swapped in a 3.91 final drive gear). Seems like a lot, but with an 8000rpm redline, it really isn't. I've got a Zeckhausen CDV around here, but I've never bothered installing it. And if the car's still under warranty, you might want to consider it rather than just removing it, to avoid hassles with the dealer.

The M-division changes heads and started pumping out SUVs, something they once said they'd never do. The M badge pretty much stands for "marketing" these days.

gamblor

Reaction score
A 1990 M3 that I am still learning to let rev up before shifting. This thing is buzzy and stiff, can anyone compare if any newer models ride this stiff? I thought I was kind of hot stuff pushing my 325e around but this car feels like it has a whole levels beyond my skill.

Can I blame the CDV for having an E46 two years in San Francisco and never once nailing a hill takeoff? I practiced and tried to focus so hard as I thought the problem had to be me.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, man. Took the Jag to a company function yesterday so she wouldn't feel neglected. Such incredibly different experiences.

~ H

I know the feeling. It's great to drive one for several days and then drive the other. The experiences are totally different, but just as exciting and enjoyable. The best of both worlds indeed.

turboman808

Reaction score

dsc4117.jpg

I really like the look of the XJS. I have been wanting to get my first Jaguar for a long time now. I'm getting married and was looking at maybe getting a MK IX. But I think I am gonna go the practical and more affordable route. So I am thinking of an early 80s XJ6. The prices on them right now are at an all time low. So it makes alot of sense to buy one right now. Tons of california cars in like new condition for less then 6 grand.

XJS would be cool to get but I have plenty of 2 seater sports cars. Kinda thinking it's time I act a little more family oriented and get something I can put kids and family in.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamblor
Can I blame the CDV for having an E46 two years in San Francisco and never once nailing a hill takeoff? I practiced and tried to focus so hard as I thought the problem had to be me.

Yep. The CDV started in the E46 for the 3-series, iirc, and makes for tricky hill starts. The Z4MC has DSC+, which includes hill-holding and brake drying.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Cdv was extremely bizarre back in 03 when I got my car and getting the 1-2 shift right took a long time but obviously second nature now. I'm so hard on the clutch I actually don't mind the valve plus I replaced the clutch pedal several years back so I much prefer the take-up now. Have been debating on an autosolutions for years now but just can't bring myself to install an ssk.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Have been debating on an autosolutions for years now but just can't bring myself to install an ssk.

Debating?

- B

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I'm just not an ssk guy if I were I'd get the ultra. My shifts are lightning and money and I like the feel even though I need some new bushings, circlips etc to eliminate the play that has developed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads