1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

As long as they retain dat snap crackle and pop, should be fine.

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

You mean the pumped in sound?

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

That's a false equivalence, and honestly, a bit disparaging. No one is saying hand cranking is better than electric starters. A lot of people still prefer high revving, great sounding NA motors, and see a greater benefit in them despite the undeniable efficiency advantage of FI.

Have "enthusiasts" drive a GT3 and a Turbo together, and they'll all have a clear preference for one or the other. And neither of them would be wrong. But what if you never had a choice?

4. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Porsche won't screw up something as important as the exhaust note. That much is fact.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Ugh, turbo flat fours for the boxster and cayman?

Fuck. That. Noise.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The current Turbo is a TT, so no news there.

8. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I don't really care about 4s vs 6s, I just care about torque curves and power. Frankly I don't care about engine noise either - I'd rather have a sports car that was silent.

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

You want a turbo then. Or a tesla

10. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

People were up in arms over the 488 being turbocharged, yet Chris Harris tested it and said it sounded just like a 458.

Like I said, I can't imagine Porsche screwing up something as important as the 911.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

People are idiots, it's the same with (almost) everything new until they try it.

12. mimo

mimo Senior member

On the plus side, some dyed-in-the-wool Porsche nuts will be glad to see the 911 getting smaller - more sport and less tourer - like the earlier versions. And although it is a massive change, in some ways the principle is really quite a natural fit for Porsche: there was a time when engines were improved by adding cubes and cylinders, and Porsche always insisted on staying with smaller and more efficient engines. So maybe it's not so bad.

Still, that GT3 of yours is probably looking like a very good buy right now. A GT4 on order might be a real unicorn in not too many years.

13. Stone

Stone Senior member

[​IMG]

5.2L naturally aspirated flat-plane crank V8. 8250 RPM redline (!!!) $48k.

I want this thing so bad.

1 person likes this.
  14. mimo

mimo Senior member

Talking of adding cubes and cylinders....

I'm glad the Big Three in the US can still see room for both in their offerings: making some of their big sellers more efficient, but still able to revel in the unique indulgence of the American muscle car for those who like that sort of thing. (I've not driven one, but I think I might). New Mustang, Dodge's Hellcat, the Camaro Z whateveritis and that's just for the modest end. So the year's not all been about restraint and austerity, has it?

15. horndog

horndog Senior member

I'm with you 1000%. The sound plus redline height is nutso. Gotta say, the GT350 and its R variant are the coolest cars by an American company in so long.

2 people like this.
  16. horndog

horndog Senior member

Don't forget the new gen Viper. It's leagues more refined than its predecessors and still a total track beast. IMO one of the best looking cars around.

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Indeed. The 'Vette is no slouch either.

18. otc

otc Senior member

I think the big 3 can do it because lots of people are content with buying a shitbox chevy because it is cheap.

I don't see Porsche stuffing the ballot box with a 1.4L 2-door economy hatchback for $14k

1 person likes this.
  19. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Had the very first year of the WRX. Very fun car but the turbo lag was annoying. Ill take a NA V8 anyday. Or the NA inline-six of the old M3 for that matter (current M1 engine). NA is the shiznitz.

That being said ive never driven a Porsche Turbie so maybe I lack sufficient breadth of experience on the lag issue.

Now, the supercharged CTS-V motor? Thats a lag worth waiting for :p

20. Stone

Stone Senior member

Yeah, I think NA is cool too, but the supercharger on my V is pretty awesome. Driving around town, you never notice it. However, if you get on (and stay on) the throttle a little bit...the PSI needle jumping as the supercharger kicks in, feeling that extra wave of torque rolling in behind you, the crazy whining sound...it's great.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.