1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The e46 m3 is kind of "the one that got away" for me. Back in 02 or 03, I pretty much bought one. I'd already shook hands, gave them the keys to my 330ci in trade, and was sitting in the F&I office. Then they started reneging on the interest rate, tacking on fees, and asking me for additional cash down payments. So I told them to fuck off, walked out, and for whatever reason...never tried to buy another one.

That one was a carbon black coupe with cinnamon interior and a stick shift. If I ever see a cream puff in that exact spec I might not be able to resist

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  2. mimo

mimo Senior member

Yeah, the German cars hold their value pretty well around here, whereas a used Mustang GT can be had just about within that range only five years old. A friend of mine had the V10 M5 from about '08 (forgive me, I don't know the model references) and it was a monster. He broke the transmission twice...that thing is powerful. Surprisingly poor interior though, I thought.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

E60 M5. I had one, an 08 model with SMG. Sold it this past winter and miss it everyday.

Disagree with your interior assessment: I thought it was rather nice. The fucking I drive though. Holy fuck. Worst ui and ux ever.

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Greenfrog had an M5, WHAT!?! How did I miss this.

2 people like this.
  5. mimo

mimo Senior member

Well GF, I suppose my feelings on gadgetry are well established! As for the interior, it was just one thing actually: the wood trim. An equivalent Jaguar has walnut veneers matched from a single piece of wood in flawless symmetry left and right. The wood in this one looked like it came from an orange box. But what a car.

6. nootje

nootje Senior member

Really? You really missed this? He practically posted about it every other page, if the buyer read this forum he or she would have known to the cent what GF had spent on repairs and maintenance during his time of ownership..

1 person likes this.
  7. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Do you hear that? That's the sound of Finn's sarcasm going right over your head.

8. nootje

nootje Senior member

at 6'4" I doubt it. But it is my cue to move to the drunk thread..

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

If I were to have an M5 it would have to be a E39. I am not trying to shit on GF but I really hate the E60 and even the F10 M5's

1 person likes this.
  10. mimo

mimo Senior member

I'm sure you're right, but it seems to me that the more famously exciting the car, the hard it is to find one that hasn't been beaten to hell...and that's, what, twelve years old now? (Yes, I looked it up...) Even with lower than average mileage, it sounds like a liability. Then again, so does two transmissions torn up by a massively powerful V10 in three years of very low mileage...

11. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

I love 'em... the design, the engine, everything. I didn't know it was possible to hate this:

1 person likes this.
  12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I specifically hate the design :p

The engine is wonderful, though. A masterpiece trapped in the wrong packaging

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

1 person likes this.
  14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I LOVE the design of the e60. Grows on you over time. Everything people hate about it, I find great: the bangle butt, the tail lights, and the eyelashes on the headlights (makes it look aggressive af at night).

And v10 over v8 any day of the week, hands down.

1 person likes this.
  15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I personally think the E39 and F10 look very much alike and you can clearly see the styling cues.

16. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

When it comes to M5s I love the E39. 400 nat aspirated horses. Dirty.
    The V10 in the next one was sick too obv, but the stylings weren't quite as cool "sleeper".

17. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Great article. The engine-out bit isn't a surprise tho. The headers and valve guides is probably true but he's a bit hyperbolic. He could have been writing about a late 80s XJS V12 the way he went on. Great points for anyone's actual pre-purch DD nonetheless.

...Tho obv if you want a daily driver and to *never* be waiting for a flatbed at 845am get an NSX.

18. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

The 3M scratch restoration kit works pretty well.

19. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Has anyone gotten the UC/heat protection on their windshield/glass? Its supposed to keep your car cool when it sitting out in the sun?

20. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

@GreenFrog MB is hiring an associate product manager for "AMG and exclusive cars" in their new Atlanta HQ. Too bad it would be a step down for me. :(