1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I have prime. The savings on shipping have paid for itself several times over

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

We have Amazon video through Prime. The video streaming part comes as part of the package, though we've only used it once or twice. Will give this a shot though for sure.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

We don't get 90% of the good amazon stuff.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I have Netflix and do a family split for prime with several people, meaning I get the free shipping and shit, but no access to the videos and music. Only the "head of the family" for the account gets the streaming.

I only pay like $10 a year for my prime doe.

5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I pay $200 a month as it is for tv/internet, so I'm not keen on adding an extra xx a month for multiple streaming services.

6. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Apparently someone drove an R8 to work today.

7. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

115 orders ytd, 232 year prior.

use music through our echo and have used streaming vid through our blu ray (pissed my tv doesn't have it built in).

1 person likes this.
  8. razl

razl Senior member

This. Seriously.

I read an article where part of their thinking was "with prime, if the customer always has 2 day shipping, they will buy more" and I have proven that point. With 2-day to-my-door shipping on almost everything, there's local shopping that I just don't even do anymore. It's easier to click buy and know it will be here in 48 hours (or 72 max) rather than drive around and hunt. Heck, I'm to the point where my bathroom regimen restock - shave cream, blades, shampoo, conditioner, etc. - is just a click away. Why waste the time going to the drug store for it?

Thinking about it at a macro level, a lot of my local businesses are losing out because I am just not buying there any longer. The drive, parking, time, hassle, is beat by prime. Plus, online I can shop the reviews meaning I tend to have better purchases than buying "blind" off the shelf locally (or at lest not having to mess around on my phone at the store).

That said, for items that require some hands-on experience to commit to - "showrooming" - I make a point of buying at/through the retailer. That's something Prime just can't do (other than offer refund/return).

/off topic.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I've had a trial version about 3 times and then cancelled it on the 29th day. I never realized prime offered any other benefit than free 2 day shipping

10. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

At the risk of continuing this conversation re: Prime / Amazon in a thread where we are supposed to talk about cars, I would also add that Amazon Prime is really not that much worse than Netflix. The selection isn't quite as good, and their interface is clunky / ugly, but on the whole it has a lot of good stuff for streaming (HBO catalog, for example). Anyway, considering you get the 2 day shipping, then prime is a pretty good value at less than $10 per month. In addition, their streaming music app / webservice is really quite good and vastly superior to iTunes Radio. They have a pretty big catalog that you can listen to for free with Prime membership.

At the risk of poking the bear here, I personally am not a fan of Chris Harris. I think he is incredibly annoying as a person. I think he is very informed and has great access to a lot of cool stuff, which I appreciate. But ultimately I would hate working with / living with / going to school with someone like that. He's a hyperactive dweeb. I am glad that he exists and that he is helping create change in auto journalism, but I would prefer a different host.

11. Ryan Holden

Ryan Holden Active Member

My current ride- 2014 Ford Fusion:

[​IMG]

My dream "throwback"- mid 1960s Ford F100:

[​IMG]

When I have room in my garage and budget dream car: AMG C63:

[​IMG]

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Saw a 918 and a LaFerrari today, before today I would have said the 918 was the better looking one, but having seen the Ferrari in the flesh, I have to say the Ferrari is stunning.

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I always thought the 918 looked rather dull compared to my P1 and LaFerrari. I do like the exhaust setup on it doe.

--

Just test drove a GTI. Zippy little car but the steering is way too light. The DSG was disappointing too. There's a noticeable lag between 1st and 2nd. The other gears are pretty quick though.

14. accordion

accordion Senior member

Can anyone comment on the maintenance and ownership costs of a recent BMW 3-series? I'm deciding between the 2015 TLX and a new or low-mileage 328. I plan to drive the bimmer until the warranty runs out and trade it in, but I imagine they depreciate very quickly. I would keep the TLX unless the new model has some reliability issues not present in older models. My other options are a new or recent Accord EX. Mercedes is too expensive, don't like the handling on Toyota/Lexuses. Worried about ease of repair for smaller brands like Buick, Kia, etc. I value power/handling and reliability, the car will stack up a lot of miles on it. Thanks for help.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  15. chimpskibot

chimpskibot Well-Known Member

What model e90 or f30? The 328 has been a solid performer for BMW and is probably one of the most reliable cars they sell. I would opt for an e90 LCI not as new as the f30, but it is still an I6 not a turbo 4, and the f30 apparently has poor handling, road feel if it doesn't have the sport package. I'm a bimmernut family has owned 3 3-series bout to pick up another soon cheers!!

16. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Lease the BMW and turn it in before the warranty runs out. BMW's have a lot of manufacturer support and usually lease more favorably than the competition.

17. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

In other BMWBJ news, looks like they're making another Dat ZHP. Based on the 435i couple. Higher power ratings, M performance exhaust, LSD, the usual cosmetic bits, and limited edition fanboi-ejaculation badges come standard :lol:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    2 people like this.
  18. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

@GreenFrog be like.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Lol dat shit's old news brahs

20. HRoi