Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Thoughts on the M5:

I initially thought, wow, M division built an AMG! And I was right, and not in a bad way - this thing is a missile. I gave myself motion sickness in 3 launches (didn't use launch control). Steering is pretty damn good, but it's still a massive, heavy car. I haven't driven the all-new E63 but there are quite a few reviewers who prefer it over this car, so I can't imagine how much more fun the E would be. But yeah, the 500 tq is the major reason to buy this car. And almost no turbo lag, which I hated in all the N54/55 engines and the Mini motors

I have to admit that the hated active sound really isn't obtrusive or feels like a factor at all

Dislikes: rear seat leg room (come on, this thing is old 7-series long). Ventilated seats are completely pointless. It's not as pretty as a M6GC.

2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Oh and apparently they are leasable at close to invoice and MF of .00135. Tempting.

3. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Three words - told you so.

BMW hit a grand slam with the F10 and the fact that they are practically giving them away for the same monthly payment as an M4 makes it an absolute steal.

Enjoy you time with her. Handing back the keys is going to be painful.

4. habitant

habitant Senior member

I'm looking into buying a mini cooper S. Are there any tuners that do supercharger upgrades or anything like that? There are some ECU upgrades from Dinan, and wheels from Alpina that I found, but there must be more.. Right?

5. shumi31

shumi31 New Member

you always wear a helmet when you drive? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Really funny! Driving car wearing helmet!

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

John Cooper Works, all bmw tuners have a mini program.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

First post quoting a post from 06 and making fun of someone wearing a helmet while on a track. :facepalm:

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Driving it back to back with my e90, I still think the M3 is the better driver's car. Lighter, more nimble, sharper,higher revving, makes nicer sounds....it's more of what you'd expect an M car to be.

I don't know if M cars are evolving to be more like this M5 - if they are, then there's no real differentiation with AMG and they will have to build their cars faster/ more torquey, etc. to win in the marketplace, especially now that AMG has finally built cars that can turn and shift nice. I read a few comparison reviews and some hate the M5, some love it. The performance numbers on the E63 are slightly better.

Anyway, I don't mind admitting that I loved driving the car. I haven't comparison shopped yet, but BMW has always had superior pricing to MB for similar cars. Piob may comment with greater expertise on leasing deals, but I haven't seen a fantastic deal for an MB that I can remember.

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Chris Harris did a head to head with the M5/6, E63 and some other car that wasn't an Audi RS (which it should have been).

Edit:

Here

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

an Aventador passed me while i was in Queens today.

it did not, how do you say, go quietly.

11. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Finally got around to scanning a couple pictures from 2004 from Blackhawk Farms Track Day. It was mostly Lotus Elises but somehow I snuck in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

13. chimpskibot

chimpskibot Well-Known Member

Is this your ghibli?

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Imola 20th ani mk4, man I know a lot of guys who would kill for that car, we didn't get that color in Europe.