1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

assuming you just need to recharge your refrigerant, not $$$ maintenance.

still annoying doe.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  2. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I'don't think they will vary too much in terms of depreciation. There are enough 6MT folks out there when it comes time to sell.

I will say, if you chose the DCT, avoid the first two years they were made like the plague. The Getrag had a lot of problems. Since they're out of warranty, BMW will tell you to go pound sand. I doubt they'll do a massive recall like E46 sub-frame issue. They had to do that partially because of some safety/legal issues.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Fewer and fewer people are able to drive manual so your secondary market shrinks and shrinks becoming more and more illiquid.

4. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

^ I don't think that's a real concern at all. For next foreseeable future, there will be enough enthusiasts for the enthusiast cars that we discuss here. Just buy what brings you the most fun. A third pedal for me ...

Case in point: The stupid ass money this 599 brought at RM at Amelia. I was in the room and everybody was shaking their heads ...

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

If I bought a BMW, and have a history of selling them like GF does, I would not want to limit my resale market to "enthusiasts." Just my opinion.

6. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

If the BMW M cars are not enthusiast cars, then I don't know what car is (Save for the few Hollywood Hills housewives and boys and girls that also drive them).

There is simply no indication in any market that manual cars will depreciate more despite the fact that the DC automatics have gotten absolutely fantastic - we rather see the opposite. If I buy a car with an eye to resale value then things like milage, maintenance, use (Track versus street) and color are so much more important before anyone thinks about manual vs. automatic. My 2 cents.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

That's all great but a couple of straw men as I never said anything about depreciation nor about defining what is and is not an "enthusiasts" car. We'll just agree to disagree. :)

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

What are your thoughts on a car that has had its engine replaced because of premature rod bearing failure? It's a 2011 135i with ~56,000 miles on the chassis, but the engine only has 300 or so miles.

9. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Usually for street cars, that's a bit of a red flag as it gives hints to maintenance and car use (e.g. driven hard and put away wet) and should drive a t least a 10% lower value on a 135 (Now and when you would sale the car).

Having said that, it could be a bargain if the car turns out nice otherwise and/ or the rod bearing failure can be traced back to a warranty issue or something. I would have the car thoroughly checked, trace maintenance history and who did the engine replacement and have a thorough PPI done.

1 person likes this.
  10. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Fully agree on this. It's odd he's selling after just 300 miles on the new engine. Also, the N54 engine had issues at the start, but nearly all related to the fuel pump - which BMW did a recall on.

Even if you trace the history, you'll always have that doubt in your mind.

EDIT: Also, you're bouncing all around the place. You want a BMW, like M cars. You had one in the past, so more than engine, the 135 will never be an M3, you'll have to deal with that for 2 years.

11. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

GF: I think you need to get this stupid idea that leasing is bad out of your head and try and scoop up a demo M3/4.

1 person likes this.
  12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Ugh.. I really am bouncing all over the place and it's frustrating as hell.

On the one hand, ramu hit the nail on the head. I think I'd be content with a 135i, but it'll never be the same as having dat V8 in the e92 m3. But at the same time, I'm becoming much more conscious about building wealth as I get older and I feel a bit icky dropping $45K (though, to be fair, I'd finance it instead of dropping straight cash) on a used car that I think will lose 10 - 15% of its value within a year. BUT, on the flip side, YOLO amirite? The M5 was straight up an emotional purchase and I have no ragrets.

Another complication is that I anticipate transferring to my company's Boston office after a year, at which point, having a car will be a royal PITA again. So I'm kinda looking to have a car for one year only, lol.

The cheap fuck in me says I should just drive my dad's old A4 and save more monies. But I probably won't do that. I'd go insane.

bawlin -- do they have 1 year leases?

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

If you only want a car for one year why not look to assume a lease? I know there's websites for that stuff but never looked into it.

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Shieeeeeeeeeit, that thought never occurred to me!

Piobrah you da man!

15. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Check the Bimmerpost forums. There should be a fair number of F8x lease takeovers posted there as well.

16. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Financing a used car sounds bad to me. Especially with big depreciation

17. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

By that definition, financing anything outside a home is likely a bad idea.

Also, with a used car, someone has essentially given you huge savings. The exceptions are the rare collectible car,

My final take on it is that the E92 M3 after the LCI (2011-2013) is very easy to find in around within roughly your boundary conditions.

2011M3

That's 2011, relatively decent mileage, clean CarFax. Not a fan of the interior color, but this was a search in just Atlanta's metro area. The Google bitching of that dealer could be applied the dealers I've bought from.

If you're looking for a car and you're an enthusiast, get the M3, you'll regret the 135i everytime you drive it when you see an M3 on the road. They're a country mile apart.

18. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

[​IMG]

Dat gated shifter doh

19. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

But a new car buyer gets hit with the biggest depreciation not a used car buyer. New = buy high sell low while used = buy low sell low

2 people like this.
  20. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

WTF....did two idiots get into a pissing contest or something?