• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Top Gear featured the 4C.

That's a bespoke rebody of the big-brother 8C.

Headlights appear to be off a Ferrari 599... Custom body panels are relatively easy, but repurposing headlights is a corner that's often cut.

The episode from this past weekend was the Disco Volante.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the most fun and somewhat practical car for $40k?? I'd say it used to be the VW R32, spunky, nice interior and the handy hatchback.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perhaps an E60 M5? It gets double digit gas mileage (highway-only) and is practical. Seats five people and has lots of head and leg space. Trunk capacity is ample.

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BMW 335 sedan............or, as previously mentioned, E90 M3.

Doesn't get more fun and practical than those.....

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my 2012 base 6sp GT. I paid something like $22.7K OTD. If going used that opens up the door quite a bit.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mitsubishi Evo X. 4 door, AWD, fast as hell, handles like its on rails. Decent mileage. Japanese reliability. ~35k brand new. WRX STI would be my other vote. I'd stick with AWD in general for practicality and bad weather purposes (not to mention immediate traction if you have to accelerate from a light). 335 xdrive and C350 4matic would be other contenders for ~40k if you prefer ze germans.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Mitsubishi Evo X. 4 door, AWD, fast as hell, handles like its on rails. Decent mileage. Japanese reliability. ~35k brand new. WRX STI would be my other vote.
These would be my recommendations, too. Good cars for the money, and lots of fun, too.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd drive the Evo for a day before buying it, though. The ride and NVH aren't for everyone. Also, if you care about what people think, it isn't a car that's perceived as for "adults"

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some cheap used Germans. for those who are in to that kind of thing. just add shipping and taxes.
Porshe:
http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan car/porsche/911/14394333/

some merc E55 action:
http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan car/mercedes-benz/e-class/14423987/
C63!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan car/mercedes-benz/c-class/14355261/

and a Bimmer:

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan car/bmw/m+model/14384313/

all good for the money. and around 40k or under to own. either buy the best German, or get Japanese. if you want fun and quality.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Just asking for problems...

there are ways to verify the legitimacy of the companies and car condition. (ie: make a appointment to view, if you are spending the coin.. go the extra mile) or you can employ a dealer to purchase to order from the car auctions on your behalf. you can see the cars live, and bid. getting a sweet deal, and saving money.
- though it's a 2-3 month process for you guys to cover shipping etc.

those listings were just examples. i would go the private/auction dealer route.
and did it last year in my hunt for a 2000 Subaru forrester STI for mrs 38R. we had no luck, but it was fun.

my painter recently got a S600 2004-ish for 10k. = a steal.
so those looking for a "Luxury" car. can get the best, at a reasonable price.
really not a fan of german cars. but due to rapid depreciation, a decent one can be had cheap. i only use that site as a guide for current wholesale prices.

hope this helps .

Last edited:

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Custom made Alfa Disco Volante, by Carrozzeria Touring coach makers, is pretty stunning. I could do with more interesting headlights though.

Too bad you have to use an Alfa 8C as the donor car...

image.jpg

image.jpg

A nice shot of the rear haunches and nipped waist (lol MC)

Alfa_Romeo-Disco_Volante_Touring_2013_photo_07.jpg

These forms and these lines make this machine a perfect Italian style .... although the brand was finally dropped by Fiat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads