Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Bought an E39 M5. Probably sell the E92. i love the M3 but i feel kinda stupid just clicking the DCT back and forth and zooming around, the capabilities of the car are amazing but there's a disconnect and I wish it were lighter, given it's size. i will experiment with the M5 and see how I like living with it. I am expecting near E92 M3-like power delivery except with a manual, and then the packaging that I'm used to in an older 5er with the traditional BMW interior. I see myself liking it a lot more than the M3 over the long term.
    Also, frankly i missed having a sunroof. :p

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Wow didn't see that coming at all. Respect. Do whatever you want.

3. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Nice. What colour combo? Post some pics if you can! And I feel you re: DCT. While more spartan in nature, I almost preferred SMG to it but that might also have something to do with me preferring the old M3 to the new 5. Obviously 6-speed would rule all.

My day 3 update: steering is heavy and fantastic. One of the best things about the car.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The later and fast wagons rule, they are inconspicuous, blistering fast and you can carry 4 people a dog and all your crap.

A mate of mine just got a W212 E63S 4-matic, which is going in for a little 800hp tune up.

5. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I love the FF

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

What's with all the station wagon and hatchback love? :uhoh:

8. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Apparently the extra weight over the back axle of the wagon helps in acceleration. There is a review where they preferred the 4 matic e63 wagon AMG over the sedan because the back weight helps correct the under steer. Personally, I prefer cars that go ridiculously fast to look anything but.

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

But the extra weight will make it more of a bitch to launch. I suppose instrumented testing doesn't lie though

10. horndog

horndog Senior member

Argh, I universally loathe fast hatchbacks and wagons. FF, Avants, down to the WRX. "To each their own" and all that but it's too much compromise and they just look too utilitarian.

11. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Do you drive as fast as you can to work everyday?

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I love all GT cars, and some hatchbacks are like mini-GT cars, so I kind of get that (plus I drive an M Coupe), but I have never, ever understood, in any way, why people love wagons/estates. They are always ugly. The only thing about them is the notion that they are contradictory: a utility style vehicle with, sometimes, ridiculous performance simply because it can be done. To me, that is just mashing together things that have no need to be together.

~ H

13. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Where I am, you can be pulled over even if you are going just a little faster than the pace of traffic. A friend of mine got pulled over even though he was going the pace of traffic (cops had a speed trap that pulled several cars in a row). I suspect traffic tickets are an additional source of income for the local government. Better not to be noticed IMO.

14. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

The FF is too insect-like for my tastes. It's also huge and yet doesn't have a 'wow look at that Ferrari' presence about it.

My wagon love has been waning lately. I think it depends on the city where you live, the surrounding cars, the architecture and roads that frame them, and your station in life (it's more romantic to have a hi-perf wagon when you are a family man and like utility plus the cachet) - and we're not talking regular forest green over beige 520d and E500 wagons and shit, I'm talking M5T's, E63T's, RS4's, Alfa 159's, and so on. I think it helps if you're in a surrounding where there are other wagons as a normal form factor, and the high performance stanced-out versions stick out, like Japan or Europe. One of my fond memories of Tokyo way back was when I was just a student and I saw all these little Japanese housewives driving white (then-brand new) W211 E55T's - all that chrome badging, the quad pipes, the bulbous E55 stance and aero, the big brakes - that was like a real movement I saw at the time, it was so fresh to me having come from America, and it looked awesome in Tokyo.

[​IMG]

15. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

Good to see some fellow BRZ/FR-S owners in here