1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I definitely want one but I can't justify spending more than a grand per month on a lease. I hate the idea of leasing a car.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Stay out of finance then.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

What do you mean

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Your statement shows an internal distrust of advanced financial tools to manage risk, cash flow, and flexibility.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Not at all mang. I know you're a huge proponent of leasing and it works for you, but I like the idea of owning my cars and being able to modify them.

Leasing makes it difficult to do that.

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Can't you just turn up the stereo. :nest:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

7. GregV

GregV Member

I was a car guy long before I ever took an interest in men's fashion, so this thread seems appropriate for my first post. Currently driving a Subaru BRZ Limited.

[​IMG]

Maybe not the most practical vehicle for NJ winters, but it's damn fun to drive otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I love how the brz looks. Shit maybe I should get one and supercharge it.

How much is a bone stock one? 20 grand?

The lotus Elise is growing a lot on me too. Seen a couple of those here in florida

9. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

Hey! No offense taken! Everyone has their own view, mine I think was influences by the fact that the Cayman S was my daily driver for 8 years, so maybe I'm just "desensitized" to the Porsche's qualities. My view was that they were just "different". Porsche certainly feels lighter and more direct. F Type I loved the engine sound and torque. The steering actually was surprising good, not as good as my 987 Cayman but at least equal to the 981 Cayman.
    Certainly loved the styling of the F Type. Since I've been on Styleforum I definitely have increased my appreciation for all things "design" related and have wanted for a while for my next car to have a bit more character. I really wanted to own a beautiful car, something that I never felt about my Cayman (although I am really liking the new Cayman).

10. GregV

GregV Member

25 for the BRZ, 20ish for the FR-S I believe. Forced induction is definitely the way to go if you don't care about the warranty (which I do); there's a lot more potential to be had from turbocharging over the current superchargers though.

There's a lot to love about the Elise if all you want is a fun MR go kart. Interior is a bit spartan for daily use IMO.

11. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

you know, I use to be a guy who never considered leasing. Never even looked at the option. Bought my 06 Cayman S new after a TON of consultation with PCNA and my local Canadian dealer. The car just came out and PCNA priced it at 1.43 CAD while the current CAD/US $ at the time was 1.08. They promised me that they wouldn't drop the price and that they were taking steps to make it difficult for Canadians to import cars. Foolishly I trusted them and less than a year later they dropped the price $15K. Such a shortsighted decision by those greedy pricks to treat their loyal Canadian customers that way. If they hadn't I would have never considered the F type. Anyways, had I leased I would have just given the car back. As it was, I had to drive (and maintain) the porsche for 8 years just to get my monthly cost down to around $650-700 per month (again I'm in Canada).

So after reading all of Pio's comments on leasing it really made sense and for this car I am paying $900 for 3 years at 2.9%, first three payments waived, and still got a $10K discount on a car that was equipped virtually exactly how I wanted it.

I did look at the new Cayman S just to be objective, I find them equal cars with different strengths. But to lease the Cayman S would have cost me $400 more a month driving 8000 less km a year, with the same residual and virtually the same price (minus the $10K discount on the F Type, you can't get more than $2500 off a Cayman/Boxster in Canada).

Bottom line, I wish I was open to leasing 15 years ago. EDIT I know I'm paying $200 more a month to get the F Type vs keeping my old car or leasing something less expensive but for me driving a beautiful car is worth it. I work SO much for most of the year, sometimes driving home from work is the only recreation/stress relief that i get for a few months and again, to me it's worth it

12. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Ken - how much did you put down? That sounds like a fantastic payment for the Jag. Is the $900 inclusive of tax? PM me if you'd like.

Enjoy.

13. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

0 down. $923 per month tax in, getting pretty excited. Car not here yet, probably end of the month. I won't be driving it till March though because I haven't bought winter tore/rims yet. Lucky in Alberta we have no sales tax so just our 5% gst tax.

14. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Wow that's fantastic. It'll be here before you know it and I look forward to hearing your review of the thing.

15. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

RS5 is far from the "most gorgeous car under 100k." Very ordinary looking.

Here's another contender

[​IMG]

[​IMG]