Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

It's also heavy as fuck and ever since I drove the cayman s, my car feels like a fucking boat too.

There's something to be said about small, light, nimble cars like the Porsches and, in your example, the e46 m3. I'm curious to feel the driving dynamics of the new m3/4 since it's supposed to be lighter than the e46 m3.

I think my next car is either going to be a 135is or m235i.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I actually want to drive a M5 and an AMG back to back to see if my theory is true that an M5 is now essentially an AMG product. Bawlin's review basically confirmed my thoughts almost word for word

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Also, just so idfnl's eyes don't pop out, what do you guys think about the Jag F-type coupe? I need to go see it in person....I drove the convertible at a Jaguar event, and initially loved it because the exhaust note is so good. But the street handling was just average and I hated the slushbox.

But man the coupe is pretty.

4. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

After much deliberation, I pulled the trigger and sold the Ferrari this week. It was sad to see her go, but it is strangely liberating to be down to just two cars that are under warranty. :)

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I think the Coupe is one of the better looking, if slightly conservative, cars on the market right now. I heard an F-Type v8 howl a bit ago echoing off the NYC buildings and it was something else. Obviously would sound better with the drop top but I'm sure it's not too bad with the coupe windows down.

Oh damn! How long until you get the bug for a 355 replacement? :slayer:

6. horndog

horndog Senior member

Honestly, and to echo Bawlin's lament, this is why performance sedans are so boring in the long run. So they have gobs of hp/tq. Great. You know what else does? Anything you turbo or supercharge.

If all we're talking about is street performance, you can *always* increase the horsepower of a car through forced induction and tuning. You can't change size and weight of a street car.

Edit: GF, if you like cars akin to the 1 series and could ever extract yourself from BMW's thrall, you'd get twice the thrill for the same money by turbo and tuning the fuck out of a BRZ/FRS instead.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

7. TC (Houston)

Haha, I don't know, it will be a while before I buy another Ferrari, especially an older one. I just don't have the time to properly enjoy it and that makes the service bills just that much more painful. The more logical thing to do would be to get rid of one of our behemoth vehicles and get someting smaller and a little more fun, like an R8, CGT or even a 991S. But my wife loves driving huge sedans and in Houston it's a good idea to have a truck in the household, so we may be without a fun car for a while.

However, my wife is out of town at the moment and I've been driving the S every day--wow that is a great car. Not sure if I'd call it fun, but it really is a great balance of power, luxury and looks.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

CGT as in Carrera GT? that'll do the trick i imagine.

9. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I can't tell you how much time I spend in one of these as a kid. Mini Mokes too

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Saw a V10 R8 yesterday. I could really drive the hell out of one of those.

11. TC (Houston)

LOL, it would but that's way outta my league price wise and not something the Mrs. should be driving. I meant Continental GT, as in the Bentley.

12. horndog

horndog Senior member

Dangerous death traps.

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

LAME!

14. TC (Houston)

I'm luke warm on that one too but it would probably be the Mrs.' top choice of the 3 I listed.

15. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

You probably might in a Morris, Cooper or a Cooper S. You would be Mini royalty though, if you would have in the above: One of the Works Rally Car ...