1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I'm sure the city is immune to being sued on this.

2. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

It's Chicago. Pretty sure they are immune to anything.

1 person likes this.
  3. brokencycle

Also, why is everyone in a two block radius filming/photographing this?

4. otc

otc Senior member

I don't know why everyone thinks this...maybe it is true somewhere, but in most civilized places, they can't just fuck up your property and say "too bad". People in the chicago reddit thread where I found this kept claiming that with conviction until people showed up with proof.

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e...s/traffic/svcs/overview_of_towingprocess.html
    Somebody posted some stats saying there weren't that many claims actually filed and paid each year, but I'm pretty sure the combination of a trial lawyer with a lambo, and an insurance company that is not happy about dropping a ton of money repairing that lambo, is the kind of combo that is willing to be persistent with the city and not give up.

5. brokencycle

I said it jokingly, but it isn't like local governments have been able to get away damaging or seizing people's assets even without the owner committing a crime.

6. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

#thiswillbeawesome

Cars being picked up for SF. Front to back:
    • 53 Appia
    • 56 1900CSS
    • 53 Comete

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. Phil T

Phil T Active Member

Here is mine 2013 Mercedes C63 AMG, Bought brand new (no parents did not buy me it) was looking at different cars for a while after previously having an 2009 370bhp Audi S3, Lotus Exige S and VW Golf R32. Love the car to bits and wouldn't swap it for much out there. The car now runs 525bhp and on a recent trip down the autobahn on the way to and from Austria did 200mph very easy and was still going haha. Never had a car that instantly puts a smile on my face when you turn the key.

No point in having the car if you don't drive it how it was meant to be driven.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Very nice. I drove one a couple years back. All I can say is: DAT TORQUE

9. Phil T

Phil T Active Member

Thanks, Yes rear tyres only last 5000 miles without the burn outs haha

10. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Did you stick with the stock Continentals or did you switch?

11. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Did Vegas to LA in 3 hours in a C63 a few years back. Craziest drive of my life. Thought I was going to die a few times and go figure the driver had actually killed someone in an accident a few years prior (unbeknownst to me at the time). Did the same drive in an S63 but it wasn't quite as thrilling. Fuck I love those AMGs.

12. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I thought they were all on PSS.

On a side note, I received my 6th flat today on a decent car. I avoid just about every construction site and have ~16k miles between the previous M3 and current M4 and P85D. 5 flats due to a nail or screw.

13. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Good friend just got an RS5. He was choosing between F Type and Maserati. Oh and I guess he considered a Vette. He liked the engine best on the RS5 and thought it felt the "sportiest". Kind of surprised because he's mostly buys cars to impress people (he acknowledges this - I'm not editorializing) but he wanted to get the v8 since they are a dying breed. The main pull to the Maserati was their "Ferrari" engine but he said the car has no excitement to it so it was an easy decision. He didn't say much about the Jag or the Vette.

14. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

deleted

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  15. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Hold a second: You are saying that those tanks make 200mph (~320km/h)? You guys serious? Even with the electronic frippery that limits them addressed?

16. mimo

mimo Senior member

Limited to about 155 or 175 for the S version. Tuning packages can remove the limiter, and soo,300kmh/186mph or a touch over is supposedly possible - probably needs different rubber too.

But this is the internet - the laws of physics are not applied uniformly, and if you have a black cat, someone has one blacker. Whether or not he has a cat.

17. Phil T

Phil T Active Member

Mine came with Yokos and they wear so quick, put them on the rear again until the fronts go then ill put PSS all around as that's what everyone on the merc forums use.

Only good thing the yokos do are 11's

[​IMG]

Quote:
    I love the car to bits so under estimated and not a lot of people know what it is and when they hear it they are looking around for a Ferrari of something haha. It took me a while to tame the car without the TC on but the more you practise the easier it becomes. I am going to supercharge it in 14 months when the warranty is done as it seems pointless to do anything before then as it will void any parts related
    Some come with Contis and others with Yokos. Heard the Contis last longer but still are not good on this car. How you finding the M4? I love the look of them just the engine sound is lacking for me. Any pictures?
    Yep easy with the tune, standard limited to 155mph, PP, 507 and black series to 175mph as standard but this was just pulling to 200mph like it was nothing like below at that speed think I need better rated tyres as I could heard a lot of noise coming from them at those speeds so only did it twice.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  18. Phil T

Phil T Active Member

I understand what you are saying in regards to people talking bull on the internet but I have no need, a lot of videos of other youtube users actually proving 200mph down the autobahn in them but like you say the tyres did not like it above 185mph to 200mph

19. Phil T

Phil T Active Member

Nice looking cars but not for me, was beating them in my old Audi S3 (2.0lt Turbo) running 370bhp including the R8 V8's with the same engine but would have had no chance against a v10 as my friend has one. As on Clarkson showed on Topgear they under steer a lot too

20. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I posted these back a few pages ago:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/17839/cars-we-drive/16590#post_7746138

My thoughts on the M4:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006898&highlight=ramuman

And Jim's who drives partially for BMW:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005166

Mine is M 1787 Z towards the left.

[​IMG]

Regarding sound - I coded out Active Sound via E-sys. I know the S55 had to sound different from the S65 it replaced. However, all things considered, I'm fine with it. It's more exhaust noise than induction noise compared to the S65, but it's a fantastic engine. You should look at how well it's packaged in the engine bay and also the design of the intercooler alone is a marvel.