• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
different as i am in Europe, but here it doesn't pay to lawyer up for a ticket. I've had waaaaay to many over the years, and only had one retracted due to an administrative error. (lucky, as that one was some 200€).

Lost my license when a judge found out it was the 4th time I had to appear in court for speeding, and had to use public transportation for three months. Probation ended two years ago, my insurance thankfully never took a hit and I never speeded since(on public roads, track is another matter).

Moral of the story: you'll never learn until it really hurts.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn. You sound a bit more reckless than me. I can't believe your insurance hasn't taken a hit. You'd be lucky to get insured with a decent premium here in the U.S. with that kind of record.

The other two tickets I got did not go on my record because I took the online driver's safety course.. twice.. and paid admin. fees of around $200+ each time.

I don't think I'll be eligible for the driver's safety course this time around. Probably will finally have to lawyer up.

Fuckin' hell.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Have had many tickets over the years, only talked my way out of a ticket twice.

Sorry, but :laugh: and :slayer: at the same time.

I still haven't been able to talk myself out of a ticket.. well, actually, one time I was doing 60 in a 45 in Massachusetts and the cop just gave me a warning. That was my first 'ticket' ever, so I think that's why he let me off easy.

All the times I've been pulled over in Texas, I've been given a ticket. First two were in my ZHP doing 80 on the left lane in a 65.. yes, I was technically speeding, but ****. I was going with the flow of traffic and got unlucky both times.

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had a speeding ticket (or even been pulled over for speeding) in about 15 years. I guess I have never been one to drive fast on a regular basis. My fiance thinks I drive too slow, but I'm rarely in a hurry and I drive a large SUV. If I had a sporty car I'm sure my driving habits would change some. I've had a couple of undeserved, bad experiences with police in the past, so my goal is to avoid them at all costs.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, if you don't speed, you won't get ticketed :laugh: I have to admit that I am almost always a few mph over the posted, so I thought a ticket a year is not doing too bad.

GF my philosophy is try to get the lawyer to remove the ticket, with traffic school as the backup. The reason is that you only get so many chances to take the safety course, so you want to save them as much as possible

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn. You sound a bit more reckless than me. I can't believe your insurance hasn't taken a hit. You'd be lucky to get insured with a decent premium here in the U.S. with that kind of record.

The other two tickets I got did not go on my record because I took the online driver's safety course.. twice.. and paid admin. fees of around $200+ each time.

I don't think I'll be eligible for the driver's safety course this time around. Probably will finally have to lawyer up.

Fuckin' hell.

meh, it was classic conditioning. Parents who always speeded, growing up with fast cars and no consequences for them led me to believe there wouldn't be any for me either. stepfather lost his license twice, but hired a driver the instant it happened. Difference was, I couldn't when I lost mine (would have been ridiculous too!)

My insurance comes down to sheer persuasion and a VERY good broker. Never caused an accident, so 12 years of no claim go a long way in convincing them that i wasn't a big risk.

Still, public transportation is a very good motivator to not lose your license ;)

My only advice is: use backroads that you know and can't be ambushed on. 100km on a very curvy road with ditches on two sides is a lot more fun than 240km on a highway, and a lot less dangerous for your license.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, if you don't speed, you won't get ticketed :laugh: I have to admit that I am almost always a few mph over the posted, so I thought a ticket a year is not doing too bad.

GF my philosophy is try to get the lawyer to remove the ticket, with traffic school as the backup. The reason is that you only get so many chances to take the safety course, so you want to save them as much as possible

The first two tickets I got, I didn't think I needed a lawyer. Rule here is that you only get to take the defensive driving course once per year, per county the violation took place in. First two tickets were in different counties, so I got to take the driver's course twice. This most recent one is in Dallas county, so while I'm eligible to take it here, I also can't because I was going too fast.

Is there a set number of times you can take it, overall, though? Never heard of that.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would think that after the first 5 times you take the course, they would realize it isn't doing you any good.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have to admit that I am almost always a few mph over the posted, so I thought a ticket a year is not doing too bad.

Same here on the highway, but I don't consider 5mph over the limit on the highway to be "speeding," if that makes sense. On this part of the 95 you've really gotta be doing 12+ mph over to be stopped. The roads around here have pretty generous limits, so normal circumstances don't tempt me to speed. Speeders don't concern me as much as every 3rd person using their phone as they drive.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The first two tickets I got, I didn't think I needed a lawyer. Rule here is that you only get to take the defensive driving course once per year, per county the violation took place in.

But that's my point, if a lawyer had been able to strike the ticket from your record, you would have gotten to save the benefits of taking the course for your next ticket :happy:

I have to disclose that I have a prepaid legal plan from my employer, so it's a no-brainer for me to retain one.

In FL there is a lifetime limit for times you can take traffic school. I may or may not have found this out because I may or may not have unknowingly come up against that limit :laugh:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i got a 79 in a 65 when I was like 17. I slipped my father's lawyer like $100 or something, and he had it changed to some BS thing like "failure to yield".

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But that's my point, if a lawyer had been able to strike the ticket from your record, you would have gotten to save the benefits of taking the course for your next ticket :happy:

I have to disclose that I have a prepaid legal plan from my employer, so it's a no-brainer for me to retain one.

In FL there is a lifetime limit for times you can take traffic school. I may or may not have found this out because I may or may not have unknowingly come up against that limit :laugh:

:laugh: at the last part.

I didn't even know legal plans existed. I definitely don't have one. This will be my first time hiring a lawyer so I'm not too familiar with the process or what to expect. Cab friend said his cop buddy is on vacay till Friday. Guess I'll have to sit tight and wait in the meantime.

In other news, I went to the Porsche dealership to test drive the cayman s and holy **** is that car light and nimble. Feels just as fast as my car.

The PDK transmission was fantastic. Also drove a 911 and it felt almost exactly the same as the cayman.

Such fantastic cars. Very DD friendly too.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
100 bux says your friends cop buddy can't do ****

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, everyone has a cop buddy. Also, those ******* "I support police" license plates don't help one bit either

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno. I give it a 50/50 chance, but at the end of the day, I don't really know what to expect. At least it's a chance. He patrols the same area that I got pulled over in, so maybe he'll know the cop who got me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads