Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I even had my radar detector on.. but the cop didn't radar me. Chances i can fight this in court?

Thinking of hiring an attorney..

2. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Were you driving like a 16 year old?

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Yes. Guilty as charged.

4. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

Got one of those last week... I feel your pain... :fu:

5. Kai

Kai Senior member

Got pulled over last week for speeding. No ticket.

It's kind of strange, but I don't seem to get tickets. I've been pulled over 12 times in my life. Only received 1 ticket, and on that one, the cop wrote me up for 5 over instead of 20+ over.

Once, I was pulled over for going 140+mph. No ticket.

I think I just have good cop karma.

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

You must teach me the ways of getting out of 140+ tickets.

I get maybe one ticket every year or two, but no points in FL yet because I lawyer up every time, and when he can't get it dismissed, there's online traffic school.

The radar detector has dramatically decreased my ticket likelihood - I just recently got my first ticket since owning it, and it was from instant-on, from a cruiser hiding on the opposite side of the freeway. Nothing a detector can do about that

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Was approaching a year without tickets.. then I get this.

To make matters worse, I'm turning 25 in a couple weeks, which, I believe is supposed to lead to an insurance premium drop.

:fu:

what speed were you going and how did you get out of the ticket?

The cops I got were actually very nice and knew a lot about cars. He was asking me about my mods and cracking jokes at how I get shit gas mileage, etc.

I was extremely polite and asked if I could get a warning or anything, but said he couldn't since it was all on the traffic camera lights.. somehow I don't buy that, as I don't recall a camera being at the light I sped off of from.

Just as I was lamenting how my radar detector hadn't saved me from any tickets on my drive back home, I got pulled over 1 minute away from my apartment because I accelerated aggressively off the line when the light turned green.

Fucking hell. I was driving so carefully on the highway, too, maintaining 65 in a 60 and cruising in the middle lane.

:fu:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  8. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I think sometimes cops feel like if they see young guys speeding, no matter how polite they are, they need of teach them a bit of a lesson.

I had numerous friends in college whose parents bought them RS4's and Porsches and they were always getting stopped, even when not speeding, to check and see if the car was stolen or being used recklessly.

I can kind of see the cops point, as well, if my job was keeping the streets safe and I spotted a 24 year old with 500+bhp speeding, I'd have a hard time letting it go.

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

For sure. I was reckless and I own that. I deserved the ticket and am willing to face the consequences.

I'm just trying to figure out what kinds of time and resources I can throw at this issue to make the repercussions as minimal as possible. I've already contacted several lawyers and I have a special connection to the Dallas PD through a taxi driver friend of mine... crossing my fingers that that connection will get the ticket dropped. Otherwise, time to lawyer up.

10. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Yeah, especially if it impacts your insurance premium. I guess if it jumps up by $500 this year and declines by $100 each subsequent year than as long as your lawyer costs less than $1500 it is worth it.

11. Kai

Kai Senior member

I was going around 85 in a 70mph zone.

I didn't do anything to get out of the ticket. Just pulled over, talked politely with him. He asked about where I was going.

He told me to slow down, and gave me his business card.

I don't ever really try to get out of a ticket. Somehow, the cops just seem to like me.

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

What car were you driving? And how old are you and what's your ethnicity (serious), if you don't mind my asking?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  13. Kai

Kai Senior member

50 years old, white, driving a Fiat Abarth.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Last time I was pulled over for speeding was a few years ago doing about 70 in a 45. There's a curve in the road and then the road T-bones and you can't turn right on this red and it's a super long light. I saw it was green and floored it. Cop pulled me over and asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I said I really had no idea, just saw the green and floored it, and said something about how surprisingly fast the vehicle takes off when you stamp it at 45 and that I don't make a habit of speeding. He said he believed I do not usually speed, commented on what a bitch that light is too, and said to slow down.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Have had many tickets over the years, only talked my way out of a ticket twice.