1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Stylish Dinosaur

A friend of mine traded in his B7 RS4 for an e90 M3, both 6MT. He's enjoying it immensely so far and hasn't missed the Quattro yet, despite the rainy/slushy weather. He's running on Conti DWS ExtremeContact on the M3 but hasn't tried it in actual snow yet.

He's said the better balance and grip offered is immediately noticed and prefers the engine characteristics and intake/exhaust note as well. Quite smitten. I really like the look of the LeMans Blue with Tan interior on the e90 as well.

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

would take rs4 instead

3. horndog

horndog Distinguished Member

Yeah, no. I get a 1.99% interest rate on auto loans through my credit union, so I will finance as much as I possibly can. It's free money at that rate.

I'm looking for a daily that's engaging and has some thrill to it, and so I don't mind a pay-to-play model. My weekend is a 95 TT Supra so I'm used to it. My main concern (and not with BMWs specifically) is buying something whose engine, transmission, something major, is prone to catastrophic failure, and I'm stuck with a $4k bill a few months into ownership. The E46 seems more of the nickel and dime type.

Anyway, thanks for the input GF and dah. I'm not set on the 330ci ZHP but it does have: good looks, two doors, four seats, RWD, MT, 220+ hp, quality feel, and is relatively affordable. Not a lot out there that also meets that criteria. The RX-8 is close but reportedly presents a cacophony of risks (and anemic low-end torque).

4. horndog

Also, the next decade is shaping up to be one of the most exciting in recent sports car history. From Detroit:

Toyota FT-1 Concept. Mark my words, the production version is the Supra successor. Powertrain predictions range from a mutated version of the LFA V10 to a hybrid twin turbo 4L inline 6.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Corvette C7 Z06. Gorgeous and brutal at 620+hp/tq from the factory. Should break most production car lap records.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. bawlin

bawlin Distinguished Member

Hopefully Toyota doesn't fuck it up. Looks very promising. Z06 looks great as well.

6. horndog

The good news is that the LFA and FR-S were both pretty damn close to their concepts. Lexus took their gloves off with the new RC-F and hopefully that means they stay off with the FT-1 production model.

Comparatively though, I don't see anything on the horizon beating the new C7 z06. Also, both the the FT-1 and z06 make the new NSX look totally forgettable.

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

I'm just glad that Lexus launched a performance vehicle with a V8.

NA FTW!

8. bawlin

bawlin Distinguished Member

What's the lowest-priced Z06 going for?

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Distinguished Member

Is not the salt a concern? My cars are benched and it is killing me with these random warm days.

10. mike1445

mike1445 Senior Member

that FT-1 looks bizarre. Not knocking it though, its nice that its such a departure from the norm.

11. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

They dump lots of salt on streets here, but I'm not as concerned about the salt as I am the potholes. I rinse the car off often to keep the salt at a minimum. On the other hand the potholes are huge and deep and I fear one is gonna blow a tire or bend a rim.

12. mbaum

mbaum Senior Member

The Toyota looks indeed promising. They got the proportions right but not the detail. All those openings on the front and side look what a car designer friend likely would call "vulgar design" (Words he uses to describe most anything coming out of Muenchen these days ...). Honestly though, I cannot see a car like that go into production at ... ahem ... Toyota.

They did a very nice job with the new Corvette, although a lot of the design cues are borrowed from Pininfarina's 458, though not a bad place to borrow from at all. It's a clean design and they also spend the money on the pieces that needed improvement (Handling and interior). Probably the coolest sports car at that price point right now.

I am most excited that the double bubble roofline can be seen in most current sports car designs. Validation for Zagato some 60 years after they started it to allow drivers to wear their helmet and clear head room.[​IMG] (I owned the car in the pic below a few years back when they weren't so astronomically expensive like today. Pic also looks way better than the car was: It honestly had way more bubbles in it's body than 2 ...)

Mike

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

13. whiteslashasian

He was dangerously close to the end of his CPO and wanted a change of pace and to go back to BMW, he had an e46 M3 about 8 years ago.

The e90 M3 is his daily, a 997.2 GT3 is his weekend/track car.

If I had his money I wouldn't mind changing things up every couple years. He's holding onto the GT3 for a while longer but was seriously looking at the R8 V10 or LP570-4 Superleggera... but doesn't fit too well in either, especially with a helmet.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

14. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

He has an e46, a e90 m3 and a gt3?

I wonder if I had an identical twin separated at birth

15. whiteslashasian

He got rid of the e46 a long time ago. Also had a Lotus Elise and a 355 Berlinetta... 355 was a maintenance nightmare he said.