1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

For me it felt like you owned that car for far longer.

GL? The new big Infiniti based on the Patrol platform?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014

2. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior Member

3. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

Unfortunately, it's hard to come by good TCO numbers. The ZHP has the same known weak points as other E46s -- rear subframes, VANOS seals, control arm ball joints, oil filter housing gaskets, etc. As much as I like them, they are not low maintenance cars. The ZHP does have an exceptional combination of handling and ride quality. It's not too hard to find one or the other, but both are pretty unusual to come by. I don't know anything about the Evo, and I can certainly appreciate the desire to make the fiscally prudent choice, but the only way I can see a ZHP being the more economical choice is if you're comparing it to a new car that costs 4x as much.

4. bawlin

bawlin Distinguished Member

Please don't finance a 90k mile BMW. Actually, don't finance a 90k anything.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

Actually you're right, now that I think about it. I bought it in June 2011 and sold it in April 2013, so close to two years.

6. GreenFrog

I understand where you're coming from but this blanket statement is too simplistic of a view to apply to every car with such miles.

BMWs can obviously cost an arm and leg for repairs and maintenance, but a properly cared-for bmw will be extremely reliable.

The fact of the matter is that most people neglect their cars; even "enthusiasts."

7. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

i know this topic comes around every hundred pages, but i will finance anything if my opportunity cost of capital is higher than the cost of the loan. over the last 10 years the highest interest rate on a car note i've paid was about 5%. i know i can do better investing that money.

8. GreenFrog

+1

Financing is a very smart move with today's interest rates.

I financed my zhp and it was only 16 grand at the time but my returns in the stock market greatly surpassed my interest rate of 2.99 at the time.

Most people use financing as a tool to purchase shit they can't afford, but it's an absolutely invaluable tool one can use to their advantage.

9. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

You found @L'Incandescent 's pedo-van!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

10. mbaum

mbaum Senior Member

So much awesome stuff in here. Monteverdi anybody? Interior shots so confirmed why I lust for an Espada (Take three friends out for dinner in fucking style) or a S1 Esprit. Only green plaid interior, please (And yellow outside). Underappreciated Bertone and Giugiaro high points (And cheap cars. $90k for a BMW? No, sir, I take the Lambo, please).

Do you have info on the 2 door Merc 600 special?

Mike

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

11. Viral

Viral Distinguished Member

90K was the mileage, not the price.

12. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior Member

Apparently there were two factory 600 coupes built, and a third converted from a SWB by the pre eminent 600 restorer Karl Middelhauve.

And they don't have to be amputees. It's an actual four seater. Obviously a lot of money was spent restoring the interior (and the rest of the car too probably), but the Espada is a whole lot of sweet, sweet automobile for not a lot of money.

S1 decked out in it's plaid interior.....again, a whole lot of fun for essentially beer money.

13. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

Love the 600 coupe. Yes, I'm a 80's despot, but a very rakish one thank you

14. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

15. Blackhood

Blackhood Distinguished Member

Hey already have four control knobs in the four-door cars. I'm not sure that the location changing is all that big of a risk.