1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. sonick

sonick Distinguished Member

The temperature adjust/display in the vent knob is slick.

2. rocks

rocks Senior Member

edit

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

3. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

Everyone is going to electronic bitmapped dashboards: no more physical needles. It's all computer graphics on an LCD screen now. These dashes are generally developed by their suppliers like Bosch or Conti, and customized to each manufacturer's needs. The next generation of BMWs will all have these kinds of dashes. The problem, besides reliability, is to keep the design and styling elements focused on driving instead of looking like an early 90s website.

The Audi dash above is pretty bad, as is the Chevy Volt's: WTF do you need a picture of the car you're driving on your dashboard? The Lambo's not bad.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

The LFA was one of the first cars to use an electronic tach but that was out of necessity because of how quickly it revved.

I much prefer the smooth action of an analog tach.

Those above look tacky and worst of all, extremely distracting.

If anything, maps and directions are better placed on the windshield through a HUD.

5. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

I think that's a myth. Needles have been computer controlled for a while now: a computer drives a motor which turns the needle, and that needle can move as fast as it needs to. The McLaren F1 and sport bikes rev faster than the LF-A and have analog dashes.

The digital speed display in my Cayman often lags the needle because the LCD refresh is pretty laggy.

6. mbaum

mbaum Senior Member

There goes the world … again with those dashes … and I am aging myself terribly. Anybody remembering the Aston Martin Lagonda? The car that broke new ground (And wallets fixing it) with "digital" crap dashes?

I am off to buying an early 70's Merc 250C. No electronic/ computer controlled crap and the ideal (Shall we say slightly pimp-ish) car for LA. Know of a good one around?

Mike

Pic courtesy of Mercedes Motoring in Glendale. Check out those crazy, fantastic guys.

[​IMG]

7. GreenFrog

I don't believe it's a myth, but I was also unclear in my post. It's not about how fast the car can reach redline; rather, it's the fact that the rev range for the LFA can fluctuate wildly, and quickly. An analog tach's needle would not be able to keep up, at least not accurately, with the up-and-down motion required to match the rev count. Thus, only an LCD tach needle can.

If you watch some youtube videos of the LFA revving, you can see just how drastically and quickly the tach needle moves. No analog tach would be able to display that accurately.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Stylish Dinosaur

The Audi dash was developed nvidia, who's mainly known for their pc graphic cards

9. Blackhood

Blackhood Distinguished Member

Glass cockpit has been inevitable for years.

Eventually they will be customisable, so you can have a range of pre approved dashboard (a brand-lead one, maybe a fighter pilot one, and an old-timey one ). There will also be the capacity for flash a new OS onto them with each service, should faults start to show up.

10. GreenFrog

Wait.. I thought nvidia was known for their 300 thread count sheets?

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Stylish Dinosaur

Not everyone on here is a nerd, who knows the name on the all the components in their computer. ;)

12. poena

poena Senior Member

:slayer: i've thought about picking one of these up as well!

13. mike1445

mike1445 Senior Member

I'm surprised its taken this long for navigation to be and car information to be integrated into the dash in this fashion. I only hope that these can be swapped/repaired/updated as you would a phone that gets glitchy. I wonder if there will still be options for analog style dashes for those that prefer the simplicity.

14. Superfluous

Superfluous Distinguished Member

I don't like navigation being in the dash because it makes it harder for passengers to see who are helping.

15. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

I got what you were saying. Needles in cars are attached to little servo motors that are controlled by a dedicated computer. The computer can move that needle as quickly as it needs to and to whatever position it wants.