Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

It was a piss poor review, you're right, and that's because I've never cared for the IS-F and that sentiment sadly remained the same after my test drive. I've written it off.

Now that being said, they only had pre-owned ISFs and the one I drove was an 08 model, so it didn't include any of the mechanical changes you just mentioned. I asked the sales associates what the differences were between the 08 and 13 models and unsurprisingly none of them knew jack shit. For example, I had no idea that the 2010+ models had an LSD, or that the ones before that year didn't have an LSD, for that matter.

As for the transmission, I still stand behind my thoughts that it's terrible. I only drove in manual mode. The shifts were not extremely quick and I found that the transmission hung onto second gear in the 3-4K RPM range even though I was trying to upshift to third. This happened multiple times, which was odd. You should be able to tell when a car has shifted and with the IS-F, I could never tell. I found myself constantly looking at the information cluster to see which gear I was in.

Turning radius was very, very good. I was surprised by how easy it was to bust a U-turn on a tight road. It's much wider than my car's turning radius.

Torque was not immediately noticeable, but that's probably because I'm used to a V10 engine. The IS-F felt like an aggressively tuned V6, and not an 8. I liked the exhaust note a lot, though.

Downshifts were atrocious, unsurprisingly. The rev matching was reactionary in nature and didn't feel crisp or deliberate. The car just was too smooth, and not smooth like a DCT's fast, seamless shifting smooth, but smooth as in a comfort-prioritizing 8-speed automatic transmission smooth, which is exactly what it is. That clashes with what I feel the IS-F should be. It should be sportier and raw.

The looks ranked poorly, too, but looks are subjective. It doesn't look aggressive enough. When the associate pulled the car up, I thought it was a regular IS-F. The only hints of aggressive styling were the quad-exhausts, which, quite frankly, look stupid the way they're stacked diagonally on each other, and the slightly wider fender flare. I'm also not a fan of sports cars having prominent fog lights, which the IS-F has.

I'll try out a later model year, but as it stands now, the IS-F's sales figures speak for themselves. Cars should sell themselves and the IS-F clearly hasn't been selling well. There's a reason why it hasn't.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I was at the MB dealership yesterday and saw a 2014 GL63 AMG, reminded me of you.

You should get it next.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I'm too cheap. My vehicles, while I really enjoy them, are mere commodities to me that are designed to be churned and burned. If I go back to MB again, which is only 50/50 at this point, I'll get a GL 450 which now delivers a 0-60 in 5.8 seconds.

4. jet

jet Persian Bro

does anybody like idnfl?

5. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Where do you guys keep your sunglasses in the car? I have nice sunglasses but never wear them because it takes too long and too much effort to get them out of the middle console and the sunglasses case. I was thinking maybe some kind of open, soft pouch in my cupholder so they don't get scratched up. Any ideas?

6. Piobaire

The new BMW keyfob has a sun glasses holder.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

On my face :slayer:

Que greenfrog joke

8. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Instead of a grab-handle I have a hard case lined with suede for glasses. One of the biggest features I will miss when I sell the car; never seen another on any make.

9. Superfluous

What do you mean?

10. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

There's a sunglas case instead of a grab handle over the driver door, it's an option on most vag cars.

European Ford and Renault cars have one by the ceiling light.

11. jet

jet Persian Bro

After my oliver goldsmiths warped I never leave sunglasses in the car anymore.

12. rocks

rocks Senior member

Grab a 2012 ISF when you can and report back; also, make sure you engage the sport button as well as manual mode during your drive. I'm looking forward to your review GF.....

Ps. My beater raybans stay i the car sunglass holder; but not my Dior's....

13. Piobaire

This is the correct answer.

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

15. Superfluous

Those are interesting, but I don't have handles there. I did just realize that leaving my sunglasses in the open will make it susceptible to theft too, especially since I don't have tints or anything.