1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

It's a simple solution, really: if you don't like the contents of the thread, don't visit it.

I'm (we?) not (aren't) going to deliberately not talk about what's top-of-mind just to cater to your personal interests.

I have no idea why this bothers you so much. I wouldn't be pissed off if half this thread talked about Audi if half the participants drove Audis.

--

Anyway, test-drove an IS-F. What a joke of a car. The transmission is le suck.

8-speed automatic FAIL. Exhaust note was decently aggressive for stock.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

2. darnelled

darnelled Senior Member

Finally got my S5. I went with a 2011, 9k miles and CPO to get the V8 and coupe body style. I'm lovin it so far. It has all sorts of nice stereo tech, but I keep it off most of the time to hear the incredible sounds the engine/exhaust make. Pure aural bliss.
    [​IMG]

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

drove v8 s5 when it was new, was not an exciting car at all to drive

then i hopped into the m3 and it was far far more raw and visceral, s5 is just a luxury gt nothing sport about it really

enjoy

4. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

That's a nice S5.

GF, I did the M-school - I thought I wrote about it here on this thread. TL;dr - worth it, drive up and do blue ridge parkway/tail of the dragon afterwards, and join BMW CCA because the school discount more than pays for the membership

5. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

It's simpler... do us the favor of taking it to a separate thread.

You over-post in this thread about all kinds of inside-baseball stuff about 1 and only 1 brand, and most don't care. Rather than be sensible you're getting stubborn and dug in. I'm not the only guy complaining, just a few posts ago someone complained that you've asked this same BMW question 2 times already. Its better to keep this a generalist thread.

If we were talking shoes and you incessantly posted about cordovan, it would be sensible to create a cordovan thread. Most don't give a shit about BMW tire pressures, tire wear, all these Exx comments, etc. A BMW thread would give folks not interested less to parse thru here. If I wanted to obsess about Audi, I'd do everyone the favor. Please do the same thing for us.

6. epb

epb Senior Member

^ This. I did it, the club discount is worth years of membership dues (I think the discount was $600 or so when I went), you do a lot of driving, the hotel and meals are included, and they dump a ton of swag on you as well.The helmet they gave me was worth a few hundred at least, and there was a jacket, t-shirts, polos, hats, etc. It's a good value.

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

Uhh, you are the only guy complaining. As far as I'm concerned, this is called the cars we drive thread so you can bet your ass I'm going to talk about cars I drive.

You don't even contribute to this thread and you're going to show up out of nowhere and bitch about the fact that no one addressed your late ass about Aston martins having similar design styles when we were already talking about it pages ago?

Fuck off.

Your behavior and demands are cute and precious, but ultimately worthless.

Come again next time. I'll tear apart your baseless argument again. It's not my fault that no one gives a shit about what you have to say.

8. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

Speaking of BMW bj's, hard-ons, or whatever, I've seen several M5's over the last few days that I've been in NYC. Each one I saw got me all giddy with excitement. Tonight while on a walk I saw and heard a beautiful Silverstone E60 (thought of you, GF) and a few minutes later saw a parked Monte Carlo blue F10. Earlier today I saw a white E60, but wasn't close enough to hear dat V10 exhaust note. I'm a fanboy of the M5 though I don't own one.

9. MarkI

MarkI Distinguished Member

Thinkin of buying a used Wranger to put about in during the winter in NY when I can't ride my motorcycle.

Would like to pick up an example under 10 grand, these things retain value like crazy i've noticed from the little research i've done. Anyone ever owned one here?

10. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Distinguished Member

First car I ever bought was a Wrangler. Not these new fancy independent suspension ones but one with square headlights and leaf springs. Mileage sucks, about as aerodynamic as a barn door, soft tops are loud and drafty and the standard stereo is underpowered but they never get stuck and are fun in the snow and the sun.

11. bawlin

bawlin Distinguished Member

I've owned a pair of YJ's and a TJ. Absolutely loved them - fantastic summer vehicle with the top down.

12. rocks

rocks Senior Member

Gentlemen, chill out, you both are taking this way too seriously. Lay off the condescending remarks and be respectful. The bickering going on here is childish and reflects badly on all of us. While I drive a BMW, I appreciate other cars; in fact., I've been driving BMW's for more than 10 years and currently on my 3rd and final one. My next car will be a Lexus, BMW has lost its way....

We all need to act our age in this thread, neither of you are teenagers so please act like it.

PS. GF, that was a piss poor review of the ISF, did you engage manual mode? If not, you have not driven the car properly. Aside from looks which is subjective, the only ding on the ISF is lack of a manual tranny; however, the 8sp direct shift auto tranny is phenomenal and shifts extremely quick, plus it won't hunt for gears in manual mode either. It is very close to the DCT. Furthermore since 2010 they have put in a true LSD and the 2012 model with revised suspension lapped the same figure 8 time as the M3. It also has lots of torque. So please, go get another test drive...in short the ISF is a genuine competitor to the M3 with far more advantages than disadvantages.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Don't you need mBrace though? I'm too much of a cheap ass to pay for that.

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Stylish Dinosaur

Audi's 4.2 V8 is known as being a bit boring, which is why they dropped it for the 3.0T V6 in the S4.

The B8 RS4/5 still got it though, but looking at the reviews, Audi has to drop it for the next rendition.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

If I make a thread about Audis will that mean idfnl will only be allowed to post there? I'll give you the BMW fanboi talk can be annoying but this is ostensibly the thread for everyone to talk about their cars in.

Now let's have a few pages about the new GL550 please.