Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

They seem to be doing pretty good on their own, so unless they want to do gt cars I don't see what they would gain.

The 12c and p1 is probably two of the best looking supercars to come out in a while.

If anyone should merge with them it would be jaguar or tata should just buy them and do what have done to Land Rover and Jaguar.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I doubt either wants to be that big... too tweedy

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Seen a lot of the new S-class recently. Still getting used to figuring out what it is when they pull up in my rearview mirror. It's pretty nice looking, but only in black or dark colors. I saw one in light silver and the taillights look weird as hell on light colors. I suspect white will be really nasty too.
    The new Hyundai Genesis must've started deliveries here too, I've seen a bunch in the past few days. I even saw one with disguise tape on it, driving around. It's pretty nice looking from the back and rear 3/4, but the front is hideous. I have no idea why they let designs like that go to production.

4. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I once heard someone talk about car design as planned obsolescence. You could make a new icon, but every revision would be down hill, but by putting in features that will date the car quickly you can force your loyal upgrades to make their jump sooner.

There was a lot of beer being drunk by that point, so no idea how true it is, but there is a twisted kind of logic there....

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

if I get a big luxury barge, I would want the back seats to recline. do most of them do that? the only big cars I've owned have been SUV's

6. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

How do you plan for a design aspect to be modern in the moment but dated in just a few years?

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

Dave Hickey, a somewhat controversial art critic who's also a car guy, makes an interesting case for the existence of planned obsolescence in cars by drawing parallels to the art market, and blames Harley Earl, the guy who elevated design at GM and the car industry in general, for it. Earl had introduced the 4-year life cycle at GM in the 50s. He lays out his reasoning in his essay, "The Birth of the Big, Beautiful Art Market" in his Air Guitar book.

I think it's pretty obvious given that cars have mid-life facelifts. It's the same as the fashion industry where designers want you to buy new clothes every year, and they do so by making new clothes look different.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Aston and Jaguar shared engines etc. for years and years, so it would make sense to make it one big company and share the budgets.

It's an option on the s-class, 7 series etc.

Most large cars do, it's rare to see a large car pull of a light color (besides white), I saw a 5GT in champagne the other day, an ugly car with an ugly color. :face palm:

Most car design is very much of its time, so focusing on having it fit the general feeling of the buyers and whats happening in the design world, will make it sell better.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I put a set on my car a few weeks ago just in time for all the snow we've had. They have been great. Headed to NYC and thereabouts in a couple days, and will need them to deal with snow along the way. Great tires.

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

So sorry to hear this.

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Thanks J-

The upside... I have a Hyundai Elantra for five days :facepalm:

12. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I'm not a car designer, but if I were taking a shot I'd say excessively swoopy design, lots of LEDs, basically take a normal car design and put it in a microwave for. 70 seconds.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Obsolescence these days is very driven by the options/OEM add-ons. Nav, LED, luxe seats, auto-dimming roofs etc

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

One of the reasons HD radio never caught on (other than the lack of mandate and FCC feet dragging), is that the development and install curve in new cars was too long. The tech kept changing so fast that a 4yr development cycle was a real problem.

15. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

In the uk there is a massive commitment to get digital radio to be the new standard. Something like 80% of transmission will be digital by 2016 and there is commitment from all English, French and German auto makers to make it standar or near-standard [an option that will be basically impossible not to tick]. Not sure how that relates to HD Radio (are they the same thing or like LED vs Plasma?) and the American production market.