Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Nah. It screams Texas, which is a different thing.

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

3. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

That looks a lot better than the outgoing Gallardo imo. It will sell like crazy.

I'd wager that the Pagani Zonda's were pretty akin to the wild Lambo's of old.

Crazy horsepower, wild design, sometimes squirrely handling with all that power sent to the rear wheels.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  4. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Is it me or has the last few generations of Lambos become almost formulaic in their designs? There was a time (which may be entirely imaginary) when each new car had a distinctly new profile and shape. The last 4 or 5 cars have all looked like evolutions of their forebears rather than blue-sky projects.

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

The only company I can think of that their previous car looked nothing like the new car would be McLaren. The F1 and P-Series look nothing alike. All other super/hyper car companies tend to follow a similar pattern.

I am sure someone will prove me wrong but my brain is hazy from too many beers last night. Also only thinking of modern cars and nothing too historical.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I don't think Lambo has evolved as much since... oh... the Urraco from 1972....

[​IMG]

Certainly the Murcielago/Aventadar/gallardo and forward are all very close. I'd argue that, like Porsche, their engine location plus the "bull" styling influence keeps them a in a fairly narrow design range.

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

What was it Richard Hammond said? Something like, when I was kid we all had Lambo posters in our room. The same kids today would have Zondas.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

All rook same to furriners.

9. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Senior member

I was going to mention Pagani, who is clearly the "next" Lamborghini-type manufacturer, in the boutique / wild type of car company. Clearly Horacio's time at Santa A'gata had some influence. However, Lambo always built their own engines ;)

Lamborghinis have always been an evolution of the wedge-shape, ever since the Countach (which roughly translates to "holy shit", btw). I'm happy with them carrying that torch and you could argue that there are worse shapes / designs to use as a basis for evolution. I'll have to see the new "Gallardo" in person to make a call on it's design, but so far, it seems a little tame (compared to the Gallardo when it first appeared). Those side mirrors look huge!

10. chronoguy

chronoguy Active Member

I drive/lease a Fiat 500e. It was the best thing I've ever done. The lease was insanely cheap.
    $1.50 to drive 50 miles. Carpool lane, discounted toll. 1st year of payments paid by the State of California via incentives.

The monthly lease and electricity cost less than one week of gas on my other car, a Range Rover. I save around close to $4,000 a year in gas. In fact, I pay more on my cell phone plan that I do to lease an electric car.

People will make fun of my ride but that is cool because I'm looking at the Jaguar F-Type Coupe, Alfa 4C or Cayman S as my weekend car next spring. Instant torque is insane.

11. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Tell us how you feel about Aston Martin.

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Seriously. If there's one knock I have against AM, it's that their cars all look the same to me.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

As much as I like AM I agree

14. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Initial reaction was-

Get outa here

Goggled for pics

Seems you're right, I'm afraid to say...

15. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Hey, I wasn't saying Lamborghini are better or worse for their creativity, just an observation.

Overall I would prefer a more varied and distinct design for each variation of cars with every brand, it just feels like Lambo used to have a greater gap between each gen.