• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Probably biased because I live in SF and drink the Tesla kool-aid, but can't fathom getting a cls63 or an s-class when you can have a Tesla for same price. Was at MB dealership on Friday dropping my car off for service and decided to check out the new S-class. The cls63 and Tesla have almost identical performance figures (acceleration, braking, skidpad) so they are a pretty close match. Both the S and CLS are nice but don't have the Tesla's wow factor. I should note that I haven't driven the s-class or a cls63 so I am not presenting this as a particularly credible opinion. I would also through the panamera into that group. I'm sure it's a nice car, but wouldn't touch it. What's interesting about Tesla is that they're selling cars to guys who own M5s and Porsches, but they're also selling these things to people who've never had anything nicer than a Prius.

Finally saw a Model S in the wild today, my first thought was mehh..., a minute later a 500 Abarth rolled by and I was like :slayer:

The sound of an MB V8 is reason enough to get one.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has "wow" factor?

I can't think of a more underwhelming looking vehicle. If it didn't have a Tesla badge on it, I bet most people would mistake it for a Buick.

And I definitely don't think anyone is cross-shopping an AMG with an electric car.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If nothing else, it has the best integrated c-pillar I've ever seen.

This has "wow" factor?

I can't think of a more underwhelming looking vehicle. If it didn't have a Tesla badge on it, I bet most people would mistake it for a Buick.

And I definitely don't think anyone is cross-shopping an AMG with an electric car.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
if you don't think that's a great looking car it's time for an eye exam

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Haha - BMW already figured out an answer there. I guess Tesla drivers could play the BMW "dat exhaust" mp3 when they want to pretend like their car makes sweet internal combustion sounds.
:rimshot:

Touché ! ******* BMW

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

if you don't think that's a great looking car it's time for an eye exam

Model s is good looking car, but it's missing some wow factor in stock setup, like a non AMG S Class.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This look pretty good to me. I have a mercedes and like the way they look generally, but think the Tesla is better. I don't like the nose cone on the Tesla and hope they improve it for the model x, but otherwise think it's a nicely resolved shape. I think MB kind of butchered the current generation CLS by chopping up the clean lines of the first generation.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But to be fair, a banana with wheels looks better than the CLS, too

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right. Because every Tesla is slammed on HRE's.

And I never said it's an ugly car. It's just an underwhelming, inoffensive design that does absolutely nothing for me. YMMV.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wtf you guys are smoking crack if you think the model a looks better than a cls63.

EWWW.

Not that the model s is an ugly car or anything, but c'mon!

David23

Reaction score
Right. Because every Tesla is slammed on HRE's.

And I never said it's an ugly car. It's just an underwhelming, inoffensive design that does absolutely nothing for me. YMMV.

To be fair someone did post a CLS63 dropped on different wheels with CF bits.

The CLS63 does nothing for me like the Tesla for you. The pre-2013 W212 E63 AMG was the nicest looking in the lineup. Not a Merc fan both BMW M and Audi are better cars to me.

Last edited:

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand why someone would prefer a CLS the same way I understand why "import tuner" fans do what they do, but I don't have the same values as those people and don't appreciate the same things.

If you poke around forums you see Tesla owners that come from that crowd and vinyl wrap their cars, powder coat or plastidip their wheels or whatever it is those folks do (carbon fiber cup holders?).

I prefer a more understated look hence think the Model S looks better than the CLS AMG. I also think the MB black series AMGs look worse than the regular cars they are based on - they just look tacky to me.

vs.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads