• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why does the Camry have paddle shifters?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
everything has ******* paddles now

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All this means is that some old lady will accidentally hit the paddle while reaching for her wipers (not her turnblinkers, everyone knows they don't use those), and get so confused by the downshift that she'll crash into you

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I just want to drive and think that the nth order of all this **** is just sophistry. Engine up front. Two wheels at the back. Stick in the middle.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of paddles (and Porsches), I ******* hate how 90% of Porsches are ordered with the base or multi-function steering wheel, rather than the Sport Design wheel that comes with actual paddles. So ******* stupid.

But whatever. I'm starting to think that if by the grace of God I end up in a 991 next year, I'll opt for a 7-speed manual.

Last edited:

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh I don't care at all about 0-60 past a certain point. It just isn't that interesting to me. I'd rather have something that is super-agile. Frankly, I'd probably be okay with a boosted BRZ...

Sounds like you need to drive something fast, and pronto. 2 weeks ago, I would've fallen into the "who cares about horsepower" or "who cares about 0-60" camp. Then I drove an F10 M5 and my entire world got flipped upside down.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of paddles (and Porsches), I ******* hate how 90% of Porsches are ordered with the base or multi-function steering wheel, rather than the Sport Design wheel that comes with actual paddles. So ******* stupid.

But whatever. I'm starting to think that if by the grace of God I end up in a 991 next year, I'll opt for a 7-speed manual.

Eh--- paddles are annoying, even aggravating off the track ... with the vast majority of people NOT tracking their cars... who needs paddles. (Not to mention the earlier discussions in this threak that clutches are destined to follow the Dodo anyway).

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you need to drive something fast, and pronto. 2 weeks ago, I would've fallen into the "who cares about horsepower" or "who cares about 0-60" camp. Then I drove an F10 M5 and my entire world got flipped upside down.

Maybe, I have driven very fast cars before. But I pretty firmly subscribe to the "it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" school of thought.

TheBigChill

Reaction score
Here's to my first post.

My 2005 Mini Cooper S. Well modified, and a hoot to drive at the limit; I'm an unabashed car enthusiast.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jaguar F-Type coupe debuts later this month at the LA.

I'm a big Porsche guy but this car is hard to ignore.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Jaguar F-Type coupe debuts later this month at the LA.

I'm a big Porsche guy but this car is hard to ignore.

Go sit in it. My local Jag dealer is housed with Rover so I do at least sit in them when I am lease shopping Rover. The windshield cants so extremely you bang your knuckles on it when you grab the steering wheel. Makes me claustrophobic.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go sit in it. My local Jag dealer is housed with Rover so I do at least sit in them when I am lease shopping Rover. The windshield cants so extremely you bang your knuckles on it when you grab the steering wheel. Makes me claustrophobic.

Was the steering position correct? This doesn't seem to make sense to me...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was fine in both the XK and the F types. But I don't know if piob is much bigger than me (5'10" about 170).

My real objection to the F type against the Porsche is that they don't know how to set up the suspension and steering as well. And their transmissions blow compared to either the Porsche manual or pdk. The power delivery is pretty smooth, and it's a fast car, but it doesn't hunch back on its ass and blast you forward like a 911 does.

It's still the prettiest car you can buy this side of a Ferrari, though. And that blatting/overrun sound from the exhaust is a bit overdone but pretty cool

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a small car so what do you expect. That said, my biggest gripe against the Cayman was how claustrophobic I felt when I sat in it, which is why I pretty much gave up on that idea and shifted focus to the 991, so hopefully the F-Type isn't that bad.

And on the topic of Rover, my last car was a Range Rover Sport and if you have experience with those, you'll know that they have one of the best driving positions of any vehicle out there (in terms of visibility, etc), so coming from that into a small sports car is a big adjustment.

Never in a million years did I think I'd be in my mid-to-late 20's and considering a Jaguar. How do they lease? On the Jaguar USA site, I'm seeing $800/month with $5k down for a base model and you have to pay for excess wear & tear. Not great but not terrible. In Canada, this means $1,200 with $10k down though :brick:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads