1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

2. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I see your spoiler and raise you:

[​IMG]

3. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

It never hurt Porsche.

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The 911 isn't stale, its purified.

There's no way in hell, the Q7 is better looking than a 958 Cayenne, Macan vs SQ5 is another discussion though.

5. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Finn - I usually agree with you but of the two monstrosities, which are the Cayenne and Q7, I would have to say I think the Q7 better suits it function. I find the Cayenne and Panamera to be two of the ugliest cars on the market.

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The Q7 is close to a decade old, with no real facelifts and it looks like an overturned bathtub coming down the road and I seriously doubt either get used to do anything else than picking the kids up from school and going shopping on Kings rd.

7. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

And any Yummy Mummy in London would not be seen on the Kings Road or Sloane Street in anything less than a Range Rover.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Well, that rules out the utilitarian premise and prestige, so there's no reason to buy a Q7.

The Panamera and Cayenne have both gotten better looking over the years, hopefully they don't peak like the X5.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  9. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Oh well, driving and upside down bathtub sounds like loads of fun, can't wait.

10. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Q7 is still better looking than the older Cayenne and the newer, more feminine Cayenne.

New XC90 looks better than both of them.

And purity implies, to me, honesty of design, and shoehorning a rear engine architecture through decades of iteration while hampering your better mid-engined platforms is hardly purity.

11. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

You think the trend in similarities will continue now that the two are under completely separate ownership?

I do remember that prior to going all V8/V12 AM's DB7 shared much of its underpinnings with the Jaguar XJS and its I6 engine was a version of that in the XJR of the day.

12. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

I put a deposit down on the XC90, really liked the interior and exterior styling. Ultimately, I pulled the deposit because pricing and driving dynamics are still unknown. Might revisit for the next car, but with the Q7 being built I will wait.

13. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I think you can build an XC right now on their website with pricing. Dynamics are a bit questionable.

If the interior matches up to the pics - then I think it will be a winner.

14. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Yup, went to the local dealership, went over the options and put in the order and deposit. That would have held my spot as they told me basically the first wave of cars would be accounted for. Drove the XC60 as I thought I would get a feel a la ML350 vs. GL350. It really didn't do it for me and being able to drive the Q7, with the tank like feel, I was sold. Plus, not sure I want to be a first owner on a brand new car with tons of tech, reminds me of the days when I had the new LR3.

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The ugliest of all of the current (non Asian) SUVs, is the X5, what the hell went wrong with the rear on that thing, it looks like it comes with an ugly body kit as standard.

16. romafan

romafan Senior member

Is the Acura MDX considered ugly? We are 5G miles into our ownership - everyone likes it so far :nodding:

17. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

if you already own a car, dont ask for opinions on it. you'll never look at your car the same again.

1 person likes this.
  18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Plus, you'll get opinions on it regardless of whether you ask anyway :happy:

Enjoy your overturned bathtubs, I'm loving my upjumped beetle with lazy design and an inherently stupid engine layout :laugh:

1 person likes this.
  19. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Haha, i own a Lexus GS - and most people hate the grill and like to tell me so all the time. It just doesn't bother me.

Acura MDX - looks like a crossover (basically anonymous). LED headlights are kind of neat, but they could have been more creative than a row of them. The beak works okay since it is a much bigger vehicle.

I am actually kind of interested in the new 3-row Lexus CUV that is going to be based on the LS platform. I've been waiting for (a) a full size crossover (b) based on a top-line platform (c) with the amenities at that level. Why crossovers stop at the lower-middle lux market for the most part surprises me. I think an S-class based crossover with the same level of amenities would outsell an S-class every day of the week even if it was $25K more.

20. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Did you read back to the point in the thread where we were trashing Lexus for being rebadged Toyotas? :laugh: no one is safe