1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

While I'm sure this has already been explored, do any dealerships that are close enough to you still have '14s on the lot with good incentives attached?

Problem with this is that the smaller engines aren't readily available here to counterbalance the larger ones. Currently, only the SUVs and E Class offer Diesels and the smallest petrol engine available on each model here is larger than the smallest available on its European market counterpart. So, unlike, say the UK, where the offerings look very much like a barbell (tiny diesels on one end, AMG V8s on the other) the US market seems to converge more on the middle.

As long as MB remains the displacement leader on its larger engines, I'm afraid its smaller ones will remain wimpy when compared to the likes of Audi and BMW.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Don't RR still have wait lists on their cars and charges sizeable markups, I haven't seen or tried current caddy or Lincoln, but I suspect they are not as nice and they don't have the same badge prestige, as the other two so alot people go that route due to that.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The new Caddy is pretty nice, the current (old) Lincoln is pretty lack luster.

4. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

The reason we're seeing so many turbos now is because the combination of turbo and direct injection has led to huge gains in fuel efficiency while maintaining power. The ecoboost nomenclature that Ford uses isn't bollocks. Even ferrari is moving to an all turbo lineup, the days of readily available performance oriented naturally aspirated engines are numbered.

And HRoi (regarding Teslas) - the good news is that at some point, if there isn't already one available, someone will make an app that will mimic the sound of a gas engine through the Tesla stereo so you can get the same synthetic engine sound people currently enjoy in their BMWs. *shudder*

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I'm sure you can choose between "ferrari v12" or "lambo v10" or " mustang v8" every time you set out

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

7. sonick

sonick Senior member

Since that gadget works off of the electric 'noise' (or whatever electrical signal) coming off the alternator when engines rev up, I wonder how it would sound with the Tesla (or if it would even work)...

8. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

Ford pumps fake V8 sound into the new ecoboost Mustang. Not an electric rig, obviously, but same principle.

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

BMW enhances the sound as well.

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

FWIW, the new MB turbos sound nasty.

12. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Is there anyway to turn off the pumped in sound in any of the cars?

13. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

14. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu Senior member

Audi told me that in settings you could disable it if you chose to.....

FWIW.....Winter Tires/Wheels is not sexy $$......Yet !!!!!

15. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

This is the first year I've run dedicated winters and holy crap do they make a difference. We put studless Blizzaks on our SUV and the difference is incredible. Had snow and ice this morning and I literally couldn't break it loose, never bothered with putting it in 4WD.

16. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

So James Bond 24 will have a limited edition Aston Martin DB10 (not for public sale). But I assume this is the future direction of Aston Martin design. The current design is definitely showing its age (and making all the models look the same doesn't help), but this new streamlined design is oddly bland.

[​IMG]

17. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

At a glance, It looked barely different than the current model to me

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Isn't usually the other way round, Jag copies Aston not Aston copies Jag.

19. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Funny how Porsche can maintain the same design language for 5 or so decades without getting stale, but Aston struggles.

20. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Oh the 911 is stale as hell - people can argue about how its a classic - but I think it is a dull / safe choice in midlife crisis. The Cayman is better looking (and more fun). The Panamera was a reasonably successful execution of the 911 design language but new in the context of sedans (although I know people hate it). The Cayenne was a failure of that design language (and still is in its newest iteration - the Audi cousins are much better looking).

Just saw pics of the Volvo XC90 - that interior looks really quite lovely. Be interesting how it plays out...