Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I thought I was buying a car I'd keep at least 10 years, which I usually do. But it wasn't the car for me, as it turns out. It happens, even after lots of research and test driving.

I've also had a leased car that I wish I kept. I actually tried to buy it after the term, but the salesman distracted me with a killer incentive on another car. I still wish I kept it.

2. razl

razl Senior member

+1. I for one am getting seriously disinterested in newer cars as the price increases mostly for tech I don't want, don't need, and is inevitably going to break (especially post warranty) and be probably be near impossible and/or cost prohibitive to fix. I expect to see a lot of current gen cars on lots with lots of dead electronics in the near future.

Electronic buttons instead of switchgear, built in touchscreens, lcd's for dashboards instead of gauges, etc. I expect 90% to be junk after 3 years of real world usage...

3. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Funny, since the reason they are switching is because an electronic switch is much, much more reliable than a mechanical one. But, of course, the trade-off js that when it fails, the parts may be harder to get.

4. razl

razl Senior member

At the specifics, you're right - but when every/most of a cars inputs are all squeezed into a single/few panels, and even those are grouped upstream, you end up with more single points of failure. I can't wait to see people's faces when their gee-whiz lcd dashboard doesn't work (does the car even start in that situation?) or the touchscreen which controls 90+% of the in-cabin electronics (air,infotainment,seats,etc.) goes up.

Yes, yes, I'm sure they've done the testing that simulates 8 years of use; lets see how that fares in a non-simulated world. I'm not a curmudgeon, but I am a form via function person, and I am getting grumpy that so many people are falling for the gimmicks and it's affecting my vehicle landscape. Off my lawn, kid!

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

So if 90% is junk at three years what % is junk at two years? At four?

6. razl

razl Senior member

0% at two. 90.0001% at four.

3 years is the sweet spot I can make a seat-of-the-pants guess that sounds vaguely plausible and is still far enough out not to be fact checked and corrected after the fact. Whoops, I hear somebody bookmarking me for a can of "I told you so" right now...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I somewhat agree with the 3 year reliability estimate. after all, it's the point at which the warranty usually expires :lol:

both these facts make 3 years the sweet spot for leasing

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Hey guys what price does a Honda Euro Accord generally run for in the US?

There seems to be a massive price disparity between the US and AUS.

9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

The closest thing to a Euro Accord in the US is the Acura TSX.

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

why wouldn't it be the Honda Accord? :confused:

11. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Hit me with the Accord.

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

Greatest review of the Cayman ever:

13. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

The North American Honda "Accord" is built specifically for the US market and not sold in others.

The Euro/JDM Honda Accord is rebadged and fiddled with a little bit and sold as the Acura TSX here in the States.

edit* My take on the Cayman S and options/pricing is that I'd only want things like Climate Package, parking assist, nav, etc if the Cayman were to be my daily driver.

In real life I'd never use the Cayman as a DD and only use it in the warmer months. I'd get it with nice paint, leather, maybe a sports package, and that's about it. Use a luxury sedan as a DD with all those amenities wanted for daily or long distance use. A sports car is a fun toy I'd take out for spirited drives on a weekend.

I'd also buy it used so the original owner can pay for all those options and I get it heavily discounted, as option pricing tends to normalize greatly in the used car market.

edit 2** I drove my RL my 800 miles this weekend and it is by far the best highway cruiser I've ever been in or driven. The most comfortable seats ever, auto climate was perfect, quiet cabin, effortless drive train. It really was a pleasure to cruise in.

That said, it's far to heavy to drive in a spirited manner when corners or braking are involved haha.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm going to check out more of his reviews. They are too good to miss.

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

The Miata and S2000 ones are great for car guys, and the Saturn review is a surprising bit of social commentary.