Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Were you driving someone else in that A8L or were you the one being driven?

2. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

Hehe.... that was my car.
    I drove it myself for the most part though and only had someone drive me for longer one-day business trips with two 5-6 hour drives and exhausting mettings inbetween. That way I could rest in the car and not have to stay over-night.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I keep telling myself that if I were baller enough to afford a Rolls Royce in the future, that I'd actually opt to drive it myself.

Then again, having a driver is pretty damn nice.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

4. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

The cost of a driver in England, at least, is pretty darn low. About £15k per year would secure you a gentleman with a bit of experience. When you look at the depreciation on something like a rolls, £45k/ 3 years is nothing, you could easily buy a gently used rolls at £150k instead of £300k new, and spend the rest on the driver.

I've been trying to convince my father to stop buying a new A8 every 24-30 months and spend the savings on a driver, more for his stress and health than for any increase in prestige.

5. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah.... If you are driving your own Rolls, you're doing it wrong.

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

But if I'm the one driving, that means there's space for one extra Gold Digger whore for the orgy!

7. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

sharp looking car, id be happy no matter what seat i was in.

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Recently saw the new Sting Ray, and this B7....first Alpina I have ever seen:

[​IMG]

9. nootje

nootje Senior member

The reason a lot of them like to drive themselves is that it's a great short escape from working. Once they get driven, the work becomes non stop. Mine lost his drivers license twice due to speeding (a lot) and twice he asked mb to send him a stretched s class, and hired a driver. He hated it, and would as soon as he could revert back to driving himself (in that period the obligatory Daimler).

For some driving and thus not being able to work is a small pleasure, be careful in taking that away from him.

10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

You buy a Rolls to be driven in. Buy an Aston to drive yourself.

11. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I've always found the back of a rolls (not that I've been in any significant number of them) to be quite... Boring. If I were going to spend more than about an hour in te back of a car if have to look at S Class/7 Series/A8L type configurations with reclining seats and media centres. At the very least I have to specify the rear tables on which to place a laptop.

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The new s-class looks lush inside, I would go that way or a bentley over a Phantom.

I would drive myself if I had a ghost.

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'm actually really liking the new design style MB has been adopting as of late. Very fluid lines and curves.

It's a refreshing departure from the sharp angles we've been seeing in the past couple of years (Cadillac... Ugh).

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Cadillac design is not so bad. It's different and coherent, but probably won't age very well. Actually, there are a lot of companies nailing it from a design perspective nowadays, IMO. MB, Audi, Porsche, Ford and Hyundai (for the most part) off the top of my head

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

If you're baller enough to afford a driver, why aren't you baller enough to play angry birds or nap while in the back seat? Who's permission/approval does he need to even tell people what he does/doesn't do while being driven?