1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. mimo

mimo Senior member

One thing I'm wondering: maybe you're looking at this all the wrong way around. I have three children, all big now. But when they were small, they were all in car seats at the same time (born within three years of each other). I didn't have a massive car with three rows of seats. But I did put all three car seats perfectly comfortably in one normal second row back seat - in my '98 Cherokee, my '93 Rover Vitesse, my '03 Discovery 2, and a hundred rental cars down in size to a Ford Focus. Rather than being difficult, the smaller the car, the easier it is to put the kids in the child seats - especially as the biggest one can climb in to the middle and just be buckled in!

So perhaps, if the behemoth isn't your preference, try another approach: get a small AWD SUV with good trunk space, not too tall for your wife to reach in and fasten the harness in the middle, and three proper rear seat belts in the second row. No climbing around, no impossible parking, and just that all wheel thing for the winter roads.

*That Tiguan mentioned above is a nice little car. Really quite comfortable, very pleasant and fun drive with the 2.0T - my friend has one and it seems like an ideal family/second/wife car. And a nice height for putting babies in the back.

**And so is the XC60, see below. Another friend has one of those.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

The performance of the Macan S and SQ5 seem similar, with the Macan utilizing a twin-turbo V6 and 7-speed transmission and the SQ5 a supercharged V6 and 8-speed auto. MSRP is a little higher on the Audi but I sense there are better deals to be had, and you have to compare them similarly equipped (which I haven't).

Given the reliability concerns you cited (no idea what Porsche/Audi are like from experience), I would definitely keep BMW and Volvo in mind. I own a Volvo S60 which has been worry-free in the almost 18mos I've had it. Mine is only the T5 version but it still handles well and is pretty peppy. Also, AMAZING winter capabilities with the AWD - I can only imagine how the XC60 would be by comparison.

3. TimelesStyle

Where do you live? For the 2015 model year in the US market, every four-door AMG comes with 4MATIC standard, aside from the S65. This is relatively new, however, and I believe previously there were issues mating such powerful engines to AWD in the sedans. The pics I saw on the UK website show the previous generation C63 so haven't seen the specs for the latest generation sedan/wagon (I'm in the US, but the UK site has more Euro-spec cars and is in English).

Perhaps other markets are different in terms of what is standard vs. optional? Interestingly enough, some models which used to come with 4MATIC standard now have it as an option, such as the S550 and E400 (replaces E550, even though by comparison, it sucks).

4. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

It is another way of thinking about it (and we have, albeit briefly). She currently has an RX400 and it doesn't fit 3 car seats across; however, 2 of the car seats are massive and I understand that there are newer models that are thin and very safe. Maybe we just buy new seats and keep the RX for now...would save me a bunch of money.

5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Denmark

6. TimelesStyle

Ah, now "Legoland" makes sense (my absolute favorite activity as a child; could keep me busy for HOURS)!

Must be different specs for vehicles there vs. here. AWD seems to be something that automakers are starting to feel they need to have as standard (or at least optional) in the US market, as so many more of them are available than ever before. Used to be that it was Subaru and Audi that offered most of the AWD cars here (BMW and MB had a couple, but they were absent from the market for many years after their initial introduction), but now even the domestic makers are doing it. Hell, even Jaguar, one of the companies whose cars historically should be driven ONLY in good weather, has started...

7. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

For the people who are considering Explorers, why an Explorer over a Toyota Highlander? Just the bigger engine or am I missing something? (I have NOT driven a Ford lately).

8. TimelesStyle

A more rugged appearance and much more rugged history, perhaps. I also think that Ford's latest designs are really something, while the latest Highlander appears over styled for my taste; new one looks a bit like a Dodge Durango on estrogen...

The Ford is also roomier inside, comes with 2nd row captains chairs and has far more trunk space when all seats are upright. The one thing that could potentially swing me towards the Highlander, though, is that I think it has a slightly better IIHS safety rating.

9. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Next gen highlander will be going bigger.

As for car seats, we pretty much use Britax 90s since our kids are f'ing huge and they are just big. Nothing to be done about that really. They are just bigger and bigger every year. Plus side airbags have narrowed the cabin.

If you want easy access to the third row - nothing does it. Our minivan barely does it. I am waiting for someone to introduce third row doors. On a body on frame system, it wouldn't mess things up too much. Maybe the Tesla Model X will have better access?

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The Explorer is available with three engines so pick your poison.

11. TimelesStyle

The one thing I would say, though, is that it can only be easier to reach the third row if you go for an SUV with captain's chairs in the second row. Or hope that someone revives the rear-facing third row (like in my mom's '88 Volvo station wagon). So much fun to ride in the way back seat as a little kid...

What you really need, though, is a rear door system like the doors on the Toyota FJ's doors, or the original pickup truck crew cab doors. Rather than three sets of doors, a "half door" that gives rear seat access.

12. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

I just recently priced out an SQ5 at what I thought was only about $53k. That seemed like a good deal

13. jfranci3

jfranci3 Well-Known Member

Seems like the big differences between the SQ5 and Macan are:
    1) SQ5 has better around-town power with lower end Tq. The Porsche power plant needs revs.
    2) The Macan has longer rear control arms, which interferes with rear cargo room.
    3) The Macans longer control arms handle better without the SQ5s firm suspension.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/11/capsule-review-2015-porsche-macan-s/

14. jfranci3

T

They are going to be exactly equal. I think Ford's turbo 4 is going to give you a better power/gas mileage ratio over Toyota's engine options. Having said that, modern 4cyl engines are powerful enough unless you are doing light towing. In any case, pick the one you like more and don't look back.

If you go three row, go rear captain's chairs. No modern car seat will let you go three wide if one of those is a baby/infant seat. I'd take a minute to really consider which has better visibility in the rear and front (wind shield pillars).

I wouldn't go AWD as these cars do have worthwhile AWD systems and current state traction control is pretty darn good. We have a 2008 RAV4 Front wheel drive, and it's fine in Chicago winters.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  15. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Thanks all for the input.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Fucking Mercedes! My SA insisted we put together a built to order 450 on "good faith" to see if I'd take the car if they offered me a good enough deal. I was supposed to have it for TG weekend. It won't be built until mid-December now.

:fu:

I think the universe is giving me a message about MB.

Edit: just found out residual fell to 58% from 60.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  17. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Final bill was $608 for my car. Noise is gone and my new clutch is quite springy. I assume the GM of the dealership has heard my complaint and with the survey I took will probably see/hear about it again.

Volkswagen will not get my business again though I love my GTI. Who wants a car with only a 3 year reliability period?

1 person likes this.
  18. jfranci3

The clutch issue can be either
    1) The flywheel needing to be bedded in. This will self-correct.
    2) The hydraulic clutch line needing to be bled. (remove slave cylinder, press rod a few times, reinstall). This may self correct.

19. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Drove a Volvo XC60 all over Ireland (diesel model) and found it to handle nicely with plenty of room for 4 adults along with a ton of luggage.

I'd look at one if I had a kid or two, or a dog.

20. TimelesStyle

Great car if one needs a smallish SUV, but I'm biased as a Volvo man myself (S60 T5).

Maybe some of the diesels will make it here eventually, to compete with the Audi/BMW/MB offerings. I'm just a little disappointed that the venerable I5 and I6 gasoline engines are on the way out. They can still be had in the AWD models, but I think of those as some of the most reliable, durable engines out there, particularly the I5, which has basically been around with few major changes for about 20 years (Volvo's I6 offerings haven't always enjoyed the same reliability, admittedly). Nothing else has quite the same "rumble" upon ignition. My T5 sounds just like the 850 I drove in high school/college, something I missed when I drove Japanese cars for a seven year stretch.