Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Senior member

Well, if Jalopnik says it... [​IMG]

BMW (and Porsche especially) tend to release more conservative performance stats, so low 4s seems reasonable.

Based on the stats, some testers will probably pull around mid 3s.

I've heard that Porsche tends to release stats that are achievable by most buyers, not what some pro driver can do at a track, under ideal conditions... Never been able to confirm that, but playing around with vBoxes and various cars makes that believable, even if just by coincidence.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

A couple things:

I don't put too much stock in the jalopnik claim either. But if that's likely to be bullshit, then every M4 fact mentioned should be viewed with the same skepticism unless you guys are getting this from BMW. The dangers of arguing over vaporware.

Second, the performance underrating is not relevant when comparing M3's. Because if 424 hp is likely underrated in the F30, then it's likely to be a wash because the E90 would have also been underrated in a similar manner.

I'm likely not going to be an M3 buyer in my next go-around, but I am curious about what they do with this one. Especially since all the reviewers seem to hate the new M5/M6

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

i have a neighbor that has interesting cars in his driveway often.

[​IMG]

I've seen a couple R8s, and other large expensive sedans. I just moved in a couple of months ago so I was embarrassed but eventually asked him about the awesome cars, and he's a professional detailer, he's a nice guy.

4. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Jay Z's ride?

The really scary thing is the number of hits Google image search gets on "chrome bentley continental".

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't care if Jay Z owns that car, those wheels look awful. And a chrome car....too much auto sprez

6. darnelled

darnelled Senior member

I'd love RS5 but budget is $40-50k. I need a backseat for 2kids and want to be able to track it 1-2 times a year.

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I checked your horoscope and it said C T S V

8. chronoguy

chronoguy Active Member

Anybody interested in the new Alfa Romeo 4C? The reviews are hitting the net. I thought they were gonna price it high but it is coming in at $54K. Sweet price. Except, they shift back the launch until Q2 of 2014 here in the USA. I am seriously thinking of putting a deposit on one.
    I'm concerned about the lack of boot and no glove-box. It is as spartan as you can get (thinking Lotus Elise). I don't mind the DCT tranny so much because it will be a commuter.

I also know it will be compared to the Cayman/Cayman S but there is something about those Italian curves. $54K is a darn good price. The porsche is probably better no doubt.

9. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Looks cool, but as a DD I would go with the Cayman.

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

0-60 is all about traction and low-end torque. Power affects your top speed the most.

4C looks cool, and an all-carbon tub is really something else, but $86k for a 4-banger?

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

The 4C concept had much better headlights than the production.

[​IMG]

I seriously can't stand these headlights...

[​IMG]

I seriously hope someone makes OEM looking aftermarket lights for it.

CTS-V "Vagon" sport wagon! Seriously quick wagon for half the price of an RS6 and you can still get it with 3 pedals!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

12. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Having seen one chrome car on the road- I won't be surprised when they are banned. The sun hits it just right and it's like a million laser pointers hitting your eye.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Those new Fiats. Now I know a poster here I quite admire has one, and that one or two of you have driven them, but gawd damn I have nearly rear ended about 10 of these slow fuckers in the last few weeks.

14. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

My 5 year old dragged race in his Peg Perego against one. He lost, but it was close.

15. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

The Abarths are faster than most cars on the road.

Am I the only person in the universe who thinks the new 4C is hideous, even overlooking the extra-hideous production headlights? Too many intersecting, confused lines and curves breaking into each other.

The last iteration of the Lotus Elise was much prettier, and served pretty much exactly the same function for what looks to be 30-40% less than what they're going to charge for the 4C. The 4C's carbon fiber chassis is impressive, but you save more weight much more cheaply by cutting out unnecessary luxuries and features. A car like the 4C will never be a luxurious grand tourer, so why bother trying?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013