Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

^ Sorry, I meant the Cayman. What a stunner.

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

Many BMWs also have the manual rev matching feature these days. 5 series for sure, and maybe even the latest 3/4s.

I heel-toe out of habit on the street, and I mostly drive between 2 and 4K RPMs. It's not just for turns, but also stop-and-go traffic. And I'm not racing up to a stopped car and braking hard. I look far ahead and am trying to maintain the average speed of the traffic flow. That also means maintaining at least a 2-4 second gap in front of me. The downshifts happen when I drop below 2K RPMs.

With lighter brake pressure on the street compared to very heavy brake pressure on-track, you have to alter your technique a bit. Most people find that it's easier to learn at first with heavier brake pressure, because it's easier to blip the throttle more when the brake pedal is lower. One way to get the feel of it is to just blip your throttle while you're stopped with your foot on the brake. You want to think of a quick stabbing motion when you do it. Don't ride the gas pedal especially with many of today's manuals having very heavy flywheels.

The street is actually the best place to learn. There's too much going on during a track session to figure that stuff out.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Cost and longevity are two other big factors in the choice of SMG vs. manual. I think the jury is still out on the longevity of SMGs (though I shudder to think what the repair cost on one of those could be), but a properly maintained manual transmission will easily go hundreds of thousands of miles. There probably aren't too many manufacturers left who care very much about longevity beyond the warranty period on their cars, though. We small-timers who drive high mileage cars still appreciate it, though.

4. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Manual transmissions are generally far less expensive to repair, refurbish, or replace than any kind of auto box.

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Yeah- like the woman driving next to me a while back with a phone on her shoulder- soda and cig in one hand, hair brush in the other and somehow managing to shift in stop/go traffic... :fu:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I like the Cayman quite a bit

7. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally back from the paint shop. Now for the rest of the interior bits and the bumpers, and it will be done.

8. sonick

sonick Senior member

9. dah328

dah328 Senior member

What's almost equally as encouraging is that it will be significantly lighter than the E90 M3 and about the same weight as the E46 M3. It sounds like it will be a beast with the increased torque of the turbo motor and lighter-weight drivetrain components such as a carbon fiber driveshaft.

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Bets on base pricing for the M4?

I'm gonna say $69K.

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Wow a whole 10 hp increase? Whoopty doo

12. David23

David23 Well-Known Member

I'd say that is about right.

You forgot at least 74 lb-ft of torque increase, a lot lighter than previous gen, better fuel mileage, and etc.

Also BMW underrates it's HP and TQ numbers, look at the F10 M5 and F13 M6.

13. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

This is correct. The torque and weight saving figures alone will produce a much faster car.

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

Hroi you ever hear of powerband?

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

But the jalopnik article also says 0-60 in low fours. I understand this is all speculation, and there are better performance indicators than 0-60, but low fours? Current DCT m3's are already testing out faster than that