Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Foo- the "economy" issue used to be true but is now largely myth. Edmunds and others have written on it of late. Two reasons: in the US at least most don't drive them economically. They rev high, thrash, or just shift at the wrong time. And today, the new automatics are smaller, lighter and more economical than ever before. With joe average behind the wheel, the chances are better than ever that the auto trans might be better.

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

I'm curious how manual purists feel about manual gearboxes that do the engine blip for you when you downshift. Okay or corruption?

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I'm sure they're viewed with contempt by those who have learned to heel-and-toe (or heal-and-toe, as the kids are wont to say) properly. Myself, I kind of suck at heel and toeing (need more practice and it's not the kind of thing you can practice on a public street) so I can see how it makes track driving with a manual more accessible to more people.

I also suppose that it prevents drivetrain wear by people who never rev match when downshifting. But mostly I suspect that car makers realized people found the automatic throttle blipping on DCT's cool, so they put it onto the manuals

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I don't get how people don't rev match while down shifting. To me, it's almost a sacrosanct requirement when driving stick.. It's terrible for the transmission not to, not to mention plain uncomfortable with the jerking motion at the lower gears.

*scratches head*

5. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Most people simply don't need to do it. If you're breaking so hard that your speed is dropping at a pace that requires you to select a low gear be yore you hit your corner then you're probably driving too aggressively to be safe.

If you're on a track it's a different matter but the number of track-drivers in any given city numbers in the hundreds while the street driers number in the millions.

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Well I tend to downshift in anticipation before braking so I have a different driving style. The one you're describing is just plain boring.

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

also, if carmakers were serious about making manuals more accessible to more people, they would focus on creating a device that prevents the car from stalling when getting underway from a standing (or hilly) stop. that's the number one fear of (novice) manual drivers.

but i guess they have realized that their market consists more of the people who want to sound like Ayrton Senna while they're downshifting to take the turn into Winn Dixie, hence this throttle blipping device.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I would hope hill brake-assist would suffice for these drivers.

also, the only car i know of that has automatic rev-matching is the nissan 350/370. Are there any others? I'd be surprised to find it in the higher-end sports cars.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  9. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

People could just learn how to use the clutch, it's not that hard.

10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Or the parking brake trick if you're THAT BAD on hills.

11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I believe teh Foo was also referring to the relatively high purchase price of the auto-manaul option and high maintenance costs when he was talking about economy.

The new 911 manual has rev-matching.

Subaru, VW, and I think the Fiat 500 have hill holder feature in the US.
    For some reason, I think VW has it on their DSG too.

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

That the 911 has it genuinely shocks me. Wtf?

13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was in the Porsche dealer yesterday. They had a new Boxster S on the floor in white. $77K. It looked like a 911 and a Lotus had mated. Impressive looking and quite a change from previous editions.

Next to it was a 911. $112K.

Who says there is no inflation?

14. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

I hate to admit that I love the new Boxster more than the 991, which to me looks like a bloated piece of shit. And I'm a die-hard 911 guy.

15. David23

David23 Well-Known Member

I think the new Cayman S is currently the best looking of the bunch.