Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

PSG get an a6 or a 5 series.

If you guys get the 3.0tdi Audi engine I would get one of those, just make sure it's a new one and not the old pd engine, that sounds like a tractor.

2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Get the RS5 instead. The S5 doesn't hold a candle to the first 3 cars on your list. It feels more like a 335i competitor to me tbh.

And if you're able to go with Audi S/RS, M's, AMG or CtSV, don't know why you would even consider the Lexus or the pony cars

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

too bad no manual on rs5

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

In < ten years there'll be none on any mass-produced vehicle... Porsche put the last nail in that one.

And with many of them experimenting with transmission-less cars... well...

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Wait- didn't the RS5 only become available as a 2013? They're almost 20k more than and 2 years old E63... at least around here. What few RS5's are around that are technically used are around $80...

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Doubtful.

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

You are right, but i wasn't clear about his budget. The new RS5 is the price of a new E63, if buying new is an option. The point I was more interested in making is that I find the equally priced S5 inferior to the others mentioned.

I too think that the manual's days are numbered. What a shame, because I've usually had at least one manual car in the garage. guess I have to really take care of my current 997 GT3! I inquired with my dealer about placing an order for the 991 GT3, but backed out when I was told it was pdk only. Don't know if I wouldn't buy one later, but for now, I'm not interested.

Funny enough, the one sporting car maker that is totally losing its way about making sports cars (BMW) is the one that's still committed to offering manuals

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Doubtful on which point? And let's not count Lambo, Ferrari etc as massed produced. But Ferrari said in 2010 the California was likely the last with a manual. And less than 5% of Lambos are ordered with manuals. Ford dropped sticks out of their big selling F150 in 2008.

The car companies to a person have all largely acknowledged that current auto Tx's shift smoother and faster than stick and the increasingly tiny audience for a manual tx is too little incentive and too much hassle for them. Some makers had to be talked into, again, keeping some manual offerings. Not saying I like it, but that ship has sailed.

And with Porsche and Honda's experiments on per-wheel drive systems, synced digitally, the tx becomes superfluous.... But that's not in ten years.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

10. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Not a surprise, but still makes me a little sad 8-(

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

12. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Senior member

13. epb

epb Senior member

Technology with cars is always trickle-down. Like Cary Grant, I think we're headed towards almost nothing with manuals in a decade or so, just specialty cars like Morgans. Factor in the trend towards self-driving cars, and you get a world where not only do we not have them, but no one will miss them since they don't drive anyway. But if you're really attached to shifting your own gears, you can get a motorcycle - we've been holding the line since the 1970s. :)

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

And don't underestimate how much fuel-saving requirements are driving out sticks... with the new automagics getting better mileage than sticks (nice reversal) - they want few cars in the fleets that pull down those numbers.

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I would say upwards of 70% of normal cars in Europe are sold with manuals, as they are still more fuel efficient and cheaper.

I would choose a manual any day of the week, until we reach something like a 5 series or something with a big diesel.