1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

#2 really searched hard when I was looking for my last car and just couldn't find one I was comfortable with. I'll own one some day

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i always wanted the 540i with the 6 speed (did this actually exist or is my memory from 14 years ago fading?) and the spikey wheels.

like this

[​IMG]

i'm guessing the V8 is a bit of a money pit though.

1 person likes this.
  3. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

My car ('12 VW GTI) has been making some low RPM whining noises in 1-3 gear but don't really appear in 4-6 gears. Took it to the dealership and they said it is the Throwout Bearing and while there in there they might as replace the clutch at 43K miles. I told them I will bring it back next week.

After some searching online, the throwout bearing is quite the issue in these GTIs and people have posted videos of their issues. My issue is not where close to their issue. Getting a 2nd opinion on this from an independent Euro vehicle shop next week. I can't imagine a new clutch at 43K but some are reporting this happens with mods but mine is stock.

The internal debate has come up if I want to make this repair ($1,600 if it is the clutch) vs. a new car (new or CPO) as we are thinking about a kid next year and 2 2-door cars are probably not the best with a kid in a car seat.

Any good cars for <$30K that would be good for a family? It is right out of the CPO Mercedes E350 range.

4. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Correct on both points. For whatever reason, BMW can't seem to do V8s nearly as well as they do I6s. Even the current generation of V8s have a propensity for expensive-to-fix leaks.

5. poena

poena Senior member

With all the talk of BMW and v8s. Here's mine

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

nice. how has maintenance been?

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

BMW bj club is in full effect I see.

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I don't agree with bmw I6's being better than the V8's. While it's true that the former is "classic" bmw, the V8's in the e39's were IMO better for that generation, and the modern V8's (NA and turbo) are absolute marvels

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I was under the impression that the S65 engine is pretty much bulletproof and that the e9x M3s are very, very reliable.

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

but I don't even own a car :(

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Why does the X5's interior suck wind? For an 90k ride its interior is truly wretched.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  12. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

As I mentioned a few days ago, it's because BMW interiors have very little differentiation between the cheapest car they make and the most expensive. I could tell the difference between the $35k 3-series and the $120k 650 GC but it wasn't substantial. I guess the good news is that the interiors are familiar to anyone who's had a BMW in the last 15 years?

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

my mother loves the "luxurious" interior on her Lexus SUV. She also has a BMW, but doesn't use the interior of that one.

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I felt this way when I was at an MB dealership a couple months back. I hopped in a GL63 AMG and multiple other AMG and non-AMG variants. They all had the same interior feel to me, honestly.

It was especially evident in the dial knobs they use (the silver ones with ridges for grip). They felt loose, wobbly, and frankly, a bit cheap for $100K+ cars.

In any case, interiors were never BMW's strength. The current cars are much improved, but still lag behind MB and Audi.

15. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Certainly there is some commonality between MBs but I don't think it's to the same extent. The other difference is the interior in the MB c-class is nicer than the best BMW interior. I say this as someone who owns both a recent MB (2012) and a recent BMW (2014).

[​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

16. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Not sure why that is in quotes - Lexus interiors are at a minimum competitive with the Germans and frankly better in some areas. BMW interiors have never been much to write home about, even on the 7 series. Audi's always got lots of plaudits, but I never really understood it. Mercedes, when they do a good job (i.e., not in the last gen C-class), have been quite good.

17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I agree with your assessment. I really like MB's new design language.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

just a quip on the the typical poo-poo over anything Lexus.

rented a Q5 back in March, hated the interior. Caddy ATS (or something like that) wasn't any more enjoyable.

19. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Fair point, I never thought I would buy one since they have typically been perfect luxury cars in the sense of being appliances that you never need to think about. I did buy a GS350 F sport since it really is an amazing sports sedan, so maybe their direction has changed - because if you can get old-BMW driving dynamics with Lexus reliability and build quality, that is pretty much a complete win.

But I suspect my next car will be a Tesla.

20. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

to me, I just see a better use of contrast and color. The Merc looks better, but is that a trackball mouse in the console? In any event, IMO these pictures are meaningless without using either system for a few days. Both the Caddy and Audi interiors I've been in were pains in the fucking ass, but I'm slightly more used to BMW. I don't give a shit about vanity.