1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. djh

djh Senior member

^Think he was just making a general statement about Escalade drivers. In LA they're mostly commercial car service drivers that don't check their blind spots before merging. Fucking assholes.

I would 100% take an Explorer over a GL450 for an extra $1k a month.

2. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Chill, brah.

3. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Well damn!

4. suited

suited Senior member

I'd also look at a Denali or Tahoe (apologies if you've already ruled these out via the thread). I put a new Denali through the paces by driving it around Vail, CO for a week. The ride was excellent and the seating is very comfortable. Cabin noise was very minimal. It had adequate power and the redesigned manner in which the rear seats fold down is a massive improvement over my slightly older Tahoe.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Hah! This says my prediction about the V6 in the 450 will only be in the 2015 model year is correct: http://www.newcarnewsandreviews.com/2016-mercedes-benz-gl-class/

Summary: in 2016 and entry level model, the GL400, will get the V6 and the 450 gets its V8 back.

Okay, 24 month lease on a 550 is the numbers work. And wow, are a bunch of people that get the 450 at 450 prices in 2015 going to be pissed when that lower priced 400 comes out next year.

6. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Won't people be pissed because a refreshed model is coming out just a few months after they bought their car? That would seem to me to be a big differentiator. There is no way I'd get into a car right now that doesn't support Apple CarPlay and guessing the 2016s will get the upgraded comand unit in the C-class that has it now.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the new GL400 is priced like the current GL450 and they bump the 450 price. Finally, if the EPA rating is near 25 mpg for the 400 and it does 0-60 in 6.7 as advertised I think the sort of people that by GLs (where I live exclusively soccer moms) will be quite happy. I guess some of them may get "walked" over the price increase.

Sounds like you're getting the car you really want at a price you can live with so congrats on that.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

After driving it I think that 6.7 is optimistic. Also, even my SA agrees with me, passing is highly degraded. Again, there's just no replacement for displacement to get real world usable torque. As to the model line up Benz has already done to the SL what the article says is going to happen to the GL. The new SL400, with the V6 in question, is the entry level SL for only 84k. The SL550 starts at 107k. The SL400 also shows it's not a bad engine given the performance numbers (5.1). It's just not a good match for a 5400# SUV.

Btw, that was just me being optimistic myself at the thought of a 24 month lease working for me. Given the limited run of 550s I sincerely doubt we'll get together but I'm going to give it a shot.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I disagree with this notion. It used to be the case in older turbocharged variants, but turbo technology has come a long way since then. The new M3/4s are an example of really usable torque at the low end. Granted, the engine is highly-engineered, but I wouldn't dismiss turbocharged cars so readily anymore.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I am not saying modern turbocharging has not improved but part of this is basic physics. Here's the definition of torque from wiki:

So the explosion in the piston chamber forces the piston down, the connecting rod transmits that force to the crankshaft and we get rotational movement. I've probably not said that completely correct but that's the gist. With larger displacement the stroke can produce better leverage. The concept of torque was first developed through medieval folks studying levers so this makes sense. Smaller engines must spin faster, due in part to smaller stroke, and this is why peak torque is higher in the rpms on smaller engine than a large displacement one. Again, I probably have some detail not stated correctly but I'm pretty sure the basic physics has to do with the leverage advantage of a longer stroke in the larger displacement engines.

Found this picture and it helps relate the idea:

[​IMG]

Edit: another comparison would be similar displacement motorcycle engines with different configurations. Think four or six cylinder inlines vs. a big V twin. The stroke in a 1 litre V twin is obviously much longer than in an inline 1 litre four. If you've ridden you'll know that V twin will pull your arms out of the sockets at 1k rpm. Where the other engine has the advantage is in peak HP and ultimately speed.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

You're definitely not wrong, but at the same time, a higher displacement engine is not the only way to get higher torque. Turbos are excellent at delivering high torque figures and, again, with modern technology, at usable levels at the low end.

Now, if you're dissatisfied about a lack of linear delivery, then yes, nothing beats a naturally aspirated engine, but I still really disagree that you need to have a V8 engine, for example, to get good torque numbers.

No point in arguing over this -- I think the takeaway is that the turbocharged 6s that MB is making for the GLs just aren't tuned / calibrated to your liking, which is totally valid and fine. It would make sense they'd tune them with fuel efficiency in mind first and raw performance second, or even third, after reliability.

Now, excuse me while I go for a cruise with my v10-powered vehicle and listen to dat exhaust.

:slayer:

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I found the Tahoe to have better handling and a smoother ride than the Escalade. The Escalade had a constant vibration that made for an uncomfortable ride. The sales guy attributed it to flat spots on the tires, but I've heard that several vehicles have had the differentials replaced to remedy the problem.

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

To be honest, a hybrid would probably work the best if geared correctly. Torque at zero is just amazing.

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Definitely. No substitute on earth for instant torque via electric motors.

In other news, saw an M4 in the wild for the first time. Sounds much better than expected. Also much louder than expected, which was surprising, given that BMW's exhausts tend to be more on the conservative side.

14. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

How annoying is this ECO/engine cutoff nonsense in the new MBs? I can see offering it as an option but having it as a default that you must defeat every time you start the car is ridiculous. Who buys a car with 520 ft lbs torque to limp it around? LOL

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Based in my test drive: very annoying. It's like the car stutters when you let off the brake and hit the gas.

Also, don't mention that 520 ft/# of torque too loudly or you'll find yourself in a V6!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  16. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

NEVER! Lollll

In addition to that I've noticed that the A/C isn't as effective when the engine cuts off--there's an immediate notable increase in humidity. Not cool (pun intended) in Houston.

I was bitching about it when driving us around this weekend and my wife admitted that she only drives it in Sport mode and hadn't even tried it. lol That explains the gas mileage.

Oh, and one other thing, I finally tried out the active parking assist. I'm sure we've all seen the vids but sitting in the driver seat while the car parks itself is insane! LOL My son thought it was ghosts! It does have its shortcomings--I managed to put it sideways into my neighbor's driveay.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

This image gives me mad anxiety.

[​IMG]

18. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Why, you travel with used paint cans on your back seat?

19. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Looks like my back seat the morning after prom night

1 person likes this.
  20. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Some idiot did the same thing just with their trunk a couple months ago and there's still white paint on the pavement.