Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

In the last five years I think I've spent 2k on maintaining the two Benzes I've had. I had no idea what a deal I was getting!

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Coopers are fun little cars but an S has about 180hp while an R32 has 240+hp. Much prefer the ride and driving position in the R32.

3. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I mentioned before, but for me the Mini just doesn't feel like a robust car compared to a Golf.

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Compared to a mk4 r32, which is the only one I've tried I by far prefer the Cooper, it just feels much more responsive, in the end it's a preference/driving style thing.

5. nootje

nootje Senior member

John cooper works would be a better comparison. My gf has one that's upped to 230 bhp. Clutches come and go, but 'monster' as she calls it, is a blast to drive. Although any drive over 45 min would require earplugs due to the stainless straight exhaust..

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

On danish city roads the normal S is more than sufficient and I have done some crazy shit in coopers, including scaring a grown man, who just had been tearing up a E61 540.

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

The main reason I don't like the tesla is that it looks like a cheap car and the enormous ipad console looks ridiculous. I think I saw somewhere they had a range of about 200 miles. What happens if you're driving further? Are there random places for you to charge up? If so, how long does that take?

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Saw several in Chicago last weekend. Got a close up look at one parked in front of my hotel. Beautiful.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

To each his own, but you have a 17 in screen doing nav. That's badass. And the car's software updates itself over 3G. The car comes with internet. Best thing about that console: no moving parts.

The range is more than 200 miles. Read previous posts about charging stations.

10. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I'm with IDFNL, not hard to imagine electric vehicles taking a huge chunk of the market. The simplicity of the drivetrain has many advantages. Eliminating gas stations for 95% of all refueling needs is huge for convenience.

I think someone (GF?) mentioned hybrids as a better compromise but to me hybrids are mostly hype. They do great in the city, but most city drivers don't drive that many miles. The only people piling up big miles in the city are taxi drivers (or I guess people with pink mustaches on their cars). My guess is that most people putting 12k+ miles a year do a lot of their driving on the freeway where the advantages of hybrids are minimal - better off with diesel if you drive on the freeway. Prius' are a notable exception, they do great on the freeway, but most other hybrids do worse than comparable diesel.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Not to mention hybrids are more complex than a regular car. Not only do you have a battery, you also have a regular motor to maintain.

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

tons o teslas here in CT too.

i think the two major banks in stamford UBS/RBS have charging stations for their employees/clientele.

13. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

A lot of Teslas popping up in Norway too. I read that we have the most Teslas after the US -- which makes sense, given that electric vehicles are exempt from any taxes. The Tesla starts at around $80-85 grand here, which would outherwise get you an entry-level Audi A6 2.0 TFSI or a VW Passat with some extras...
    Combine that with free toll booth passings, free parking+charging in most major cities and at major office buildings (charging stations are operated by the city/employer) and perhaps most important, you're allowed to use the bus/taxi lane. The last part really saves a lot of times in congested cities.

Any similar advantages in the US as well?

14. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Not to that degree, Norway car price is usually twice as high as US right?

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Aprox. from what I remember the tax is based on engine size.

The exempt from tax in Denmark as well, the Fisker wasn't.