Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Ah, so this is encouraging. So even if they built 10,000 stations it's only $1.5bn, which our buddy Elon can still afford to do.

3. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

Automakers could lend at 0% because interest rates were effectively 0% (and still are). As rates go up they will raise interest rates on loans. But Tesla has said they will provide free charging (power) for all their cars. That's like a gasoline-based car company offering free gas...not exactly the same obviously, but at some point when there are 50,000 Teslas on the road and everyone is charging them at a Tesla station because it's "free", I have to think that the company is going to have a problem paying for all that power. But once you offer it, you're stuck. I realize that it's a chicken and egg thing so they really didn't have a choice. But if natural gas prices go back up to $8 and our electricity prices all move higher accordingly, you're talking about big numbers to charge all these cars.

As far as degradation on the batteries, I don't know much other than second-hand information from technical types that seem to generally be in agreement that the batteries don't last as long as most people think, when run hard. This remains to be seen I guess.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Not too worried about Tesla's cost of powering its fleet. Once you have the car, the cost of "fuel" is extremely price inelastic, and if customers were still (albeit grumblingly) paying $4-4.50 for gas, they'd pay for electricity once a pricing scheme is established.

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I wonder what happens if AMG would actually be able to put its power to the ground? :p

7. David23

David23 Well-Known Member

BMW M and Audi > AMG

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Makes for a quick ride over to Home Depot.

9. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

Yeah but a company's goodwill is destroyed if they offer to pay for electricity and then start charging for it a few years later. People are absolutely banking on free power when they run the cost/benefit analysis and make a determination to buy this car. So I'm just saying that it's going to be a material ding on profits once Tesla is charging 50-100k of these things regularly for free. Ultimately the company needs to actually make money producing cars.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Hydrogen is the best friend of the oil industry. I mean, when a clown like Bush was touting it as the future, you know something is wrong. Its a long way off and to many unfeasible. Just think of the potential explosions. Its 20 years off, minimum.

I was expecting another Jeremy Clarkson sideways lap. The guy drove well, nice to see.

I agree. The goal is to get to a critical mass. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks for a charge. At my office, there are charging stations. I could charge for free 99% of the time today. By the way, a full charge runs about $6 from home.

Per above, I don't agree. They are making the right move eliminating a major drawback of electric cars. Its a start-up cost. I don't think buyers believe it would be free forever, I accept its a benefit gotten now for early adoption.

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Drove my wife's R32 yesterday for the first time in about 2 years. What a great car. It has to be one of the most fun cars for the $$$. It feels great, has a lot of spunk, it's compact enough to make parking a breeze and has plenty of room to carry things on a trip.

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Ask Jon Olsson ;)

I have a mate with a 6.2 V8 W212 E63 a blower on it and he says it likes to let the ass go, the new ones comes with option for 4x4, so that should help.

The old RS6 was in the same region after a remap, I think the F10 M5 gets up their as well.

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Prefer the Cooper S to the R32.

14. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I'm not sure if buying a +$60k car based on any sort of fuel-savings/cost-justification is more hilarious or sad.

I haven't spent that much cumulatively in 15 years of car ownership, including maintenance, fuel and insurance.

This is tantamount to justifying $1600 John Lobbs as savings over $40 Converse; don't feed me bullshit that it is primarily a financial-based decision.

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm not sure I see your point because people buy cars and Lobbs for different reasons. What you've spent in the last 15 years might not justify something for you, but what I have spent in the last 5 does for me so it may not be economically viable to you but it might be for others. I spend approx $4000 a year just on car maintenance. To drop that to $900 is significant. I spend between $3000 and $5000 on fuel. Dropping that to $500 is again significant.

$9000 vs $1400... is that hilarious or sad?

A car has to check a lot more boxes than raw economics, but you better believe I wouldn't mind trimming my maintenance budget and not giving my money to OPEC.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013