1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Your property market is fucked, letting the majority of housing being left vacant, is just plain old bad for the city.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Developers only care about what's good or bad for their pocketbooks therefore only care about the city in regards to how it impacts them.

Sounds like Vancouver needs a land value tax.

3. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

It'll get paid. Vancouver is an offshore bank account with bridges.

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

We have requirements for developments, where upwards of 90% of all housing need to be primary residence or rented to someone who uses it as a primary residence.

5. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

I have an '07. Very fun car. Drives like a fast go-cart.

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Stick shift?

I test drove a 2014 Cayman S with the PDK tranny several months back. I loved it. The shifts were so crisp and quick. The exhaust note was amazing. Lot's of burble and cracking. Best of all was how light and nimble it felt.

7. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

8. Flake

Flake Senior member

The PDK is pretty instant. I still like driving a real manual but as automatics go, it's pretty fun. Especially in 'manual'/tiptronic.

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I have a PDK, a DCT and a manual. Manual is the best but there are certainly days that I don't want to row the gears. For those days, I like the DCT better. It allows more fine adjustments, shifts are more crisp, and it actually shifts to neutral when the car is stopped. I don't know why the fucking porsche engineers decided to have the pdk make the car creep forward like an automatic when you stop the car - it drives me crazy.

Had a steptronic - didn't like it. Don't like the tiptronic in my dad's cayenne either. Those two are basically the same thing. Drove the Audi/Lambo single clutch autos too - didn't like them either. You had to let off the throttle while shifting to make it shift smoothly. SMG slightly better but still too rough when you're not going 9/10 or 10/10

YMMV, of course. I know plenty of people here love the SMG, and don't mind the slushboxes

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just got back from driving an Explorer Sport. Much better than expected. In the red the Sport styling package looks pretty damn good. Has 20" aluminum rims like the SHO, nice light treatments, all the toys. Power and handling are completely acceptable and the ride is better that expected.

[​IMG]

Main problem? Fuckers are liars. They gave me the residual and MF they're using. Their first volley was a 2k cap cost reduction. Okay, fine, we're just starting the dance. They shot me the payment. The problem is, using their parameters, the payment should be $76 a month less than what the quoted me. Well, we have a place to start. I have a number in mind and the math shows I should be able to get that number. This option is still on the table.

Edit: lol, the fuckers. Just ran the numbers at full MSRP. It's still $16 a month less than what they quoted me! Gotta appreciate the balls.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Does the DCT actually shift to neutral? I thought it stayed in first gear without the clutch engaged. At least that's how it works on my SMG. But now that I think about it, DCT has two clutches where one is always technically engaged, right? So I guess it must shift to neutral in this instance.

Don't remember the cayman creeping forward.. if so, that's annoying. I always feel so uncomfortable when I get into an automatic because the creep forward always takes me by surprise at first. Then I get annoyed that I have to always be pressing the brake at a stop.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

It may, I didn't think of that. I suppose what you are saying is that it's the equivalent of keeping the car in first while keeping the clutch pedal pressed down in a manual. But it's the same effect

13. Flake

Flake Senior member

Wife's 981 with PDK creeps like any other automatic unless you have the auto start switched on. I noticed going downhill it shifts into neutral when auto start is engaged but does not when it's not engaged. In Sport (which is how I always drive it) you can't engage auto start at all.

14. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Just drove a Lexus GS 350 F Sport. Absolutely amazing car in every way.

Good thing I liked it too since my wife killed the idea of the 911 since I just bought two motorcycles.

15. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

can't wait for that new MB manager seeing you get this.

1 person likes this.
  16. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

New manager prolly already forgot about our dear Piobaire poaster.

:(

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Your bro-crush on me has been showing again in the last few days.

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

He wants to be your Asian sensation.

19. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

In Cayman world, is it "S or bust", or is the base model a formidable vehicle on it's own?

20. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I test drove both. If you want to get the Cayman, don't drive the S model.

Ignorance is bliss.