1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Anyway, my 1991 Honda Accord died mid tunnel during rush hour last friday. Mechanic said cam shaft split and destroyed the inside of the engine. Not sure what would cause that.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

That really sucks. Getting something new(er)?

I'm interested to see if I'm pissed off at MB enough that I go get a Ford Explorer Sport (has the "Ecco Boost" engine).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  3. sonick

sonick Senior member

^ What about the big Infiniti SUV QX-whatever it's called now. V8, 400hp.

4. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Absolutely- I was hoping to put that off until after the wife returned from mat leave so we could get something a bit better. I'm monthly payment averse- we have no debt now and want to keep it that way while she's off. I'll probably continue to check autotrader and local dealerships for something with low milage. I'm assuming you get a better deal if you walk in with cash? Budget is between 10 and 15k so as to avoid payments. I don't want new, would rather not pay and lose 30% instantly.

We have an 08 Fit which is about the most toothless thing a person can drive, so I'm looking for something with low milage that might be a bit more interesting. There's an 07 Audi A4 with 60,000 km on it that's piqued my interest but I'm wondering what the maintenance costs/reliability would be like. The other option is something like a Mazda 3. I don't know. I've never driven anything newer than 15 years old so I'm not quite sure what to look for here!

1 person likes this.
  5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It's very fugly and they are driving the price up. I could have lived with how fugly it is for a couple of hundred cheaper a month. Having MB walk me on the 2014, and now the V6 thing in the 2015, has me seriously re-evaluating my car habits. That Explorer Sport is running about 5.9 0-60, has nothing but good reviews in the magazines, and I think I can land one optioned up for about $460 a month. Between lower monthly, lower insurance, and gas mileage I bet I can save 1k a month vs. the cost of driving the new GL. That's a lot of wine...

6. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Explorers look a helluva lot better now than they did a few years ago.

Range Rover?

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Sport = too small, full size RR = more than I want to pay. If I was not adverse to paying more I'd just grab a 2015 GL550 (with the better tuned version of the V8 the 450 had last year).

Yeah, the Explorer looks better and the Sport is nicely powered and optioned vehicle. I plan to drive one this weekend if the weather is nice.

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The Explorer was a pleasant surprise for me, as I mentioned earlier. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Cbrown, at that budget I'd stay away from the usual European suspects if you're concerned about maintenance costs. Unless you'd be ok with a Mini Cooper, which is actually a pretty good choice IMO

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Acura TSX can be had with lowish miles in that price range. Solid vehicle.

TL for a bit more but you lose a good bit of economy going to the V6.

Koreans might be worth a look. Nothing fancy but they're probably a good bit better than your old Accord.

I'd stay away from Audi's at that price point. Maintenance will be $$$$

10. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Have heard a lot of positives on Mazda 3 for driving mechanics. Someone recently told me they were debating between a 5 series and a Mazda 6, so that is a pretty big compliment.

11. otc

otc Senior member

I always thought the Mazdaspeed 3 seemed like a sweet ride...but I think I would always end up choosing the GTI over it. The car itself seems like it would be great, but the Mazda interior finishes and seats are just not on VW's level.

12. Flake

Flake Senior member

I had a RR Sport up until a couple of years ago. It's deceptively big on the inside.

13. Flake

Flake Senior member

My son just bought a new Mazda3. You won't forget it's a front wheel drive, but it's still a fun car and seems like a lot of car for the $$. Getting excellent reviews as well.

14. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Well, I do try to pop in and post whenever I get something new in the hopes of moving the needle off the 0 for a few pages. :)

My favorite is people who criticize your choice, preference or need for a particular vehilcle when they do not currently (or in some cases never have) own a vehicle at all.

Interesting. One of the reasons I traded the sport in on the fullsize is that the I felt the interior space on the sport felt a little cramped relative to the overall proportions of the vehicle.

15. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

Pio,

I can't imagine getting an Explorer over a 4Runner. Then again, I actually do drive off-road in mine so there is genuine need for the qualities that a 4Runner (and very few other SUV's) possess. If you don't have those needs, I'm sure the Explorer will do nicely.

You could certainly argue that sample size (1) is an issue, but my 11 year old 4Runner has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. It's going to be genuinely difficult to let go of her, even if I'm just trading it in on a new one (have my eye on the TRD Pro version which comes out later this year).

16. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I had an '02 Mazda 3 5 door. Loved it other than I went through 2 front drivers side wheels and 2 sets of front suspension in 2 years due to pot holes according to my mechanic. I don't remember hitting pot holes either.

In the 10-15K range I would almost try to go new and pay slightly more. You may be able to get into a very basic Subaru Impreza slightly used.

17. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

have they changed the dash system in the explorer? I spent a few hours in one that belonged to a friend for a ski trip. Pretty comfortable ride but the infotainment system was slow with touch response, and TBH a bit of a pain in the ass. maybe its a day or two learning curve with some of these new ,edia systems but i didnt like how the My Touch worked.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I had an LR3, which has more interior room than a Sport, and my GL is far more spacious. The only Rover with comparable room is the full size RR and that is more than I want to spend. I'm not saying I don't enjoy Rover, as I enjoyed the entire experience (driving, service, dealership 4x4 outings) but for the $$ MB gives far more interior space.

:fistbump:

If I was going for a long term vehicle I would certainly pick the Toyota too. However, 24-36 months is all I do, and the Explorer Sport model is far faster and more comfy on the road (and I'm never going to do much off-roading again).

19. Flake

Flake Senior member

I should have elaborated on my comment. Passenger space in the Sport wasn't anything special, rear passenger space in particular. It is the rear storage space that I found surprisingly large. That car could haul a whole lot more than most people would think.

20. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Well, piob does like to stuff a lot of things into his rear, so that's a helpful comment

5 people like this.