Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. razl

razl Senior member

I suspect it's more a matter of tinting and/or if the sun is getting in/on the black itself. Since you're a FL person too, you probably know what I mean when I say I pay attention to parking in order to minimize the amount of sun that gets into the - literally - greenhouse". If it does, then I bet black is worse for the same physics reasons as it's worse on the outside -less reflection of the suns energy.

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Definitely. Grew up in the Carolinas, black interiors, or black cars in general, are a no-no.

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

pretty much this

grey interiors are probably the most bland but my aunt's car has this and is extremely hot, also dependent on the quality of the leather...if you know where to park, the direction and have a climate comfort windscreen like i do 100 degree days ain't nothin, and i always leave a 2" gap for ventilation

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Ventilated seats solves the hot ass problem so black interior problem solved. That option is worth its weight in gold.

5. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

You know though, I have ventilated seats and I don't really feel them.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Have you checked the controls? You might not have them on max setting. I can feel ours through jeans and it's a real butt blaster when wearing summer weight trousers.

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

That brown interior is awesome. You don't see enough brown interiors... and unfortunately, BMW's cinnamon brown is pretty bad.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Black absorbs more heat than any other color. This is basic physics. Now granted any car's interior will absorb heat in a hot sun, but black will always absorb more. Touch a white car in the sun vs a black car. The white car is noticeably cooler. Interiors suffer from the greenhouse effect, they will all get hot but black will always be hotter.

I try and remember to crack the sunroof, it makes a big difference.

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Yeah, but there's an upper limit on how much the interior will absorb. Also basic physics. I don't disagree that black will be hotter, but how much hotter? Because if it's 5-7 degrees then you won't be able to tell - it will just feel hot. I did a search but no one seems to have done research worth posting here...all I found was various forum experts.

Exterior is a different story - I totally agree black will feel a lot hotter. But interior has a lot of different factors.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013

10. razl

razl Senior member

My wife's Lincoln LS has this and even on the lowest settings it tightens up my jewels. it's doubly worse because most times when I want to use it, I'm - ahem - sweaty in my nethers, and blasting chilled air in there doesn't so much cool as makes me reach for the sky.

11. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Also doesn't black absorb light, not heat? The heat is a by-product of the lack of reflective property. In direct sunlight it will get hotter than tan or silver, but if the car is parked in the shade the difference between the two would be negligible because its to do with airflow and outside temperatures?

12. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Was in the market for a 435 xi but the deals on the 5 series are ridiculous right now. Ended up getting a 535 xi with m sport package for $6.5k off retail... guess they want to clear out the 2013's for the tiny refresh for 2014?

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

My mistake, yes light. In the shade you'd get the same temp.

14. David23

David23 Well-Known Member

Can we talk about how perfect this is. British Racing Green with dark brown interior and contrast orange stitching.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. rocks

rocks Senior member

What is this? I need something because my E46 being Jet Black on black is freakin hot in the SFL weather. There's no parking garages where i work and parking in shades means parking under trees where there are always bird crap galore waiting to greet you in the evenings. In other news, my euro tray fell apart last week due to the heat here and yesterday my arm rest broke, again from the unbearable heat. SFL sucks in summertime.....

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013