1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Explain why the car is .8 seconds slower. That's a 14% decrease. And FYI, MB says it's a bi-turbo. http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/model/class-GL/model-GL450W4

You really think a guy that's this concerned doesn't read the tech sheets? :confused:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I have that lease worksheet too, last time I called a bunch of dealers and asked them to give me quotes using that same worksheet. And then I loaded one of the lease website pages that has that calculator on my phone, so when I sat down with my sales guy, I was cross checking all his figures on my phone. He found it somewhat amusing, but it cut through the BS. Residual is static, and as long as you get the best MF possible, the only place where they can move is the vehicle purchase price.

Knowing that, it was a very simple transaction for the both of us :)

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Page 3 speaks of the left and right bank turbochargers. It's a biturbo, not a twin turbo, per your definition of the words. A better designation would be sequential vs. parallel. Page three indicates they are parallel, or rather, biturbo.

5. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

[​IMG]

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I understand it the other way round, I know a MB engine tech, I can ask if he knows, but in the end it doesn't really matter if you don't want one.

Lol, yeah that's not a standard G63 :p

The 6x6 has 18" headlocks on 37" tires, the normal one has 20" profile 50 and most have something retarded like 22/30. ;)

7. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I'm a bit skeptical of that 5.8 second quote for the old GL450. Doesn't the 550 do the trick in 5.5 seconds? Would expect the old 450 to be in the 6's if the new one is at 6.6. No way are you going to see that much of a difference in acceleration. But hey, you're the expert right?

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Had no idea that twin turbo and bi turbo were two different things

I should have known, since bisexual and twinsexual are different things as well :laugh:

9. jet

jet Senior member

bilzerian is cruising around LA in a brabus 6x6

10. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Private sales are, well, private. That's why the only observable figures happen at auction (And even there, you can not always trust it). Rumors of the last few GTOs sold privately are anywhere between $35m and $55m. In the end, who knows? My Bonhams friends indicated that they would be happy to get ~$40M for the GTO. Did not happen. We thought it would send a trend for the weekend but so far, at Bonhams, day 2 and RM, day 1, money flowed very easily for cars. While increases are flattening out, serious money is still exchanged.

FindFinn, for auctions results, go the Bonhams, RM and Gooding websites for results. Bonhams is all done and posted results online already. Once sold though, you no longer get the pre-sale estimate to compare. RM day 1 should also be up. RM day 2 is tonight, and so is Goodings day 1. Sports Car Market will have full results in a few days.

Thanks for this. This is helpful, as I am getting ready for a new ride and want to lease. Living in LA, a pure bred sports car is just not too practical so right now the top two choices are a hot roded Abarth 500 (With goodies, hp increases from 160 to 210) or the Mecan (Don't hate. I love how it looks and size is perfect for this single guy).

Mike

11. Desi

Desi Senior member

Here, is the link to the Yahoo! article. It briefly mentions one going for 52mil last year but doesn't particularity say where or back up its claim.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

In 2014 the 550 and 450 shared the same V8 "bitrurbo." The 450 was detuned and did it in 5.8. The 550 was tuned better and did it in 5.5. It was all on MB's page so think of it whatever you want. I don't really give a shit at this point. Went and drove a 4Runner Limited today. This I can get into one for like $500. Fuck MB. I can drive that 4Runner Limited and buy a thousand dollars worth of wine every fucking month.

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Some dutch guys did gumball in one.

They do it at night okay, so at some point later today (sunday), they will be up, I'm curious about the 2000gt and the GT-R.

14. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

2000GT went for $1,15M

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

250 over estimate, not bad.

16. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Senior member

Both RM and Gooding tweeted most of the results.

The GTR hammered at $220k + fees

There were two 2000GTs; RM sold for $950k + fees and Gooding's car pulled $1.155 all-in.

I liked the GTs better when they were cheaper ;)

17. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

They sold a white in 12 or 13 for a million plus, that was in white though. (and a yellow one last year for 9xx)

The white one at gooding is pretty damn sexy.

http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1967-toyota-2000-gt/

The gtr went for more than I expected, but they are pretty damn rare outside of Japan, from what I've been able to figure out there's only 1 in Europe.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  18. horndog

horndog Senior member

Piob have you looked at the Audi SQ5? Bit smaller than the GL but has a supercharged V6 and does 0-60 in 5.1.

19. horndog

horndog Senior member

And very very few cars ever used sequential twin turbos. Off the top of my head: the 4th gen Supra, 3rd gen RX7, and Porsche 959. They're pretty damn complex and in applications other than the Supra they weren't very reliable.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Too small but thanks for the rec. Even the Q7 is noticeably smaller and it started off life underpowered like the GL450 is now.

I might just end up extending my current lease for another year. I think MB is going to see emasculating the 450 as a bad choice and go back to the V8 biturbo. The 450 accounts for about 65% of all GL sales; they can't afford to fuck it up.