1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

Yea, love the GTO.
    Whats the story on the one above?
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

2. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

I was slightly worried about that as well. If I keep with Mercedes I am almost certain they will overlook this, but if I leave the brand that will increase the scrutiny. Depending on when I will turn it in, I could buy another set of used and still be well ahead of the game.

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

It's a good strategy - my wife's car is leased and has a reputation of going through rear tires very fast, so I might follow suit

4. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

6. horndog

horndog Senior member

Full disclaimer that I've never driven any of these models but have window shopped them a lot. The S2000 is bullet proof Honda reliability and likely makes mince meat of the other two in the handling department, but it supposedly feels gutless around town unless you're revving to 8k between stop lights. If you're willing to mod, and the S2000 drivetrain is very friendly to mods, supercharge it and never look back. Per the other two, given the cost of ownership for a used base z4 and TT and your willingness to spend 20k, I'd bump up my budget to 25k and grab a Z4M (M Coupe), which has much bigger balls.

7. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Agreed with your assessment horndog.

Z4M would be great, but 25% over budget.

S2000 I think looks better and has a very mod friendly platform with a ton of 3rd party support to get the performance up up up.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I've driven them all - didn't like the TT at all. The S2000 will give you the most performance for the money, but I don't think it outperforms the Z4. Z4 is more "prestigious" if you care about that but cost of acquisition and ownership is higher. Aesthetics is subjective but I think it's TT > S2K > Z4 on that factor alone

I realize that I haven't said anything that you couldn't read in a magazine or forum, but those are really my impressions. Other competitors you could consider are the Nissan Z and the MB SLK.....but those suck :p

10. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Word on the street is from high 30s to high 50s. The optimists reach 60s. 100 would be completely and utterly outrageous, given the last somewhat known private sales in the $40 - $50 range. Will be there on Thu and let you guys know. There is a nasty but persistent rumor that the car has already sold and Thu show is, well, just for show ... again, a rumor.

On the 275 GTB/C. Frankly, that's RMs way of making up for not having the star car this year. Both, Gooding and RM are trying hard to position a few cars against Bonhams coup with the GTO. Don't get me wrong, as always they all have an outstanding selection but the 275 is a bit of a lame duck: No racing history, no significance, no cool factor or cool development story like the GTO, by far not as pretty. Even not as pretty as the regular 275 in my book. It will bring a pretty penny but it is nowhere near the Ferrari echelon of "must have" cars. Put in other words: Nobody up here even talks about this car and the catalogue description is no more than nicely written exaggeration and wishful thinking.

Mike

1 person likes this.
  11. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Senior member

The rumour of the GTO sale has been circulating nearly since it became known that Bonhams was "auctioning" it... Prices for either private placement or actual sale are expected to be the same; I hear ~US$63MM, but that's to be seen. Apparently, there are a few other GTOs with possible sales pending, dependent on the price attained by 3851.

IMO, the 275 Speciale is a far prettier car than the GTO (which I've never like that much - give me SWB! [​IMG]). It was hard for either RM or Gooding to compete with a GTO, and I think they've done an admirable job; both companies have 'headliner cars' in any other year.

Auction descriptions are always nothing but "nicely written exaggeration and wishful thinking" [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Good outcome, Congrats. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

14. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Okay, you were right . . .

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I had been walking by a new Audi S8 for the last 6 months, almost every day and enjoying the view. Now I'm seeing a ton of the new Merc S class, a few AMG sport spec'd and they're quite fetching.

Enjoy it well, TC.

16. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I like it except for the lines of the LED headlights - just don't work for me.

17. TC (Houston)

Thanks guys! I actually wasn't wild about the car when it was first released but over time it has really grown on me. I actually had parked our 2012 S550 right next to it and it is remarkable how much fresher the new one is when sitting side by side the old one. Still loved the old one.

A few more shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a funny one I took when I was sending Mrs. TC some teasers of what I picked up for her (the car was a suprise). I since turned the ambient lighting way down and changed it to a normal color. My 7 year old was pretty blown away by the flat screens and wireless headsets. LOL

[​IMG]

18. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

I see a lot of those in my parts, that is a majestic automobile. Congrats TC!

19. TC (Houston)

Dude, you so should have posted "FAKE". LOLLLL Thanks, B.

On a lighter note. Today was one of those 2-3 days a year I was very glad to have a truck in the garage (note the tire tracks through the yard). Glad the Rover finally got to see some offroad action!

[​IMG]

20. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Classic! Couldn't resist.