1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

WTF? The BMW Gods do not like you

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Don't think they offer carbon in standard range, so it must be Azurite Black.

3. horndog

horndog Well-Known Member

Turbo tuneability seems to be the only reason to jump from an e9x to the newest m3/4. I don't see that many practical differences between the two beyond that.

Per the earlier conversation re: BBS LMs, I agree they're a good looking and classic wheel, but think the Work VS-XX trumps it. And the mod community plays the fuck out of the LM.

4. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be upset with either one

5. Cedric

Cedric Well-Known Member

[quote name="akatsuki" url="/t/17839/cars-we-drive/14220_30#post_7295651

Switching topics. Would buying a Ferrari 360 for 80K or so be a terrible idea?[/quote]

Credit to Member "Barrister" from Teamspeed

General Buying Advice

Here is a list of general buying tips when shopping for your 360 Modena.

1. Demand to see the service record and maintenance history on any 360 Modena you look at. The first question you should ask the salesman is whether or not the car is due for service. This is particularly true for the major services at 15K and 30K miles. The car is due for its 15K service at the 5-year point regardless of mileage. At these service points the timing and cam belts must be replaced. These services can run around $4K - $7K. If you are getting a particularly good deal on a 360 Modena, it may be because it is due for a major service. If it is, be sure to work it into the price of the car. If the car has any holes in its service history, move on.

2. Get the car personally inspected by a Ferrari certified mechanic. Any trustworthy dealer or private seller will allow you to take the car long enough to get it checked out. Only a trained mechanic can detect everything that may be an issue – things you won’t see. Don’t ever use a mechanic that is hired by or associated with the dealer or private seller – even if the service is offered for free. Have the mechanic tell you how much clutch life is left and that the exhaust manifolds are structurally intact.

3. If the deal is too good to be true, then it is. You should not be paying less than $100K for a 2004 with similar mileage and optioned like mine and no less than $80K for a 1999 of any ilk.

4. Never buy the first car you see. Look at and test drive many.

5. Be sure that the car has all of the original books, tools and records. Things that often go missing are the battery tender, seat covers and the key fobs. You should get two keys and 3 fobs – one red master fob and two black fobs. You use the black fobs and put the red fob in a safe place. If you are not given or lose the red master fob, an expensive re-key of the car will be necessary.

6. Always try to talk to the original owner. Be wary of cars that have had too many owners – e.g., more than 4 in a 5 year period.

7. Try to get a car that has been driven less than 2000 miles a year on average. For a 2004, that would be a car with less than 10,000 miles on it. Mine came in just under that at 9800 miles.

8. Talk to the mechanics that have serviced the car. They will be listed in the service record.

Click the image to open in full size.
    Maintenance and Reliability

Now on to the part that everyone is afraid of – is the car going to break down and cost me a fortune? Actually, the 360 Modena is a very solid car and only has a few common issues.

1. The clutch can and will wear rapidly on the F1.

2. Transmission on pre-2001 F1 models needs upgrading.

3. F1 shift from 1 to 2 can be rough, indicating clutch wear.

4. Camshaft variator on early models were subject to recall.

Less common but other potential issues include:

1. Motor mounts on early models can crack.

2. Gasket leaks (like the one I experienced with my gas cap).

3. Alarm system is sketchy and can cause premature battery wear.

4. Bearings and seals in clutch assembly.

5. Starting in late model 2000s the exhaust manifolds are integrated with precats. If intake cam timings are not set correctly there is a good chance that excess fuel will get dumped into the manifolds causing the catalytic substrate to sinter. Extra care must be taken to set the timing by a degree wheel rather than going with the cam shaft factory marks.

6. When any service is done, the owner must demand a before and after printout of any error codes that were detected and what was done to correct the problem and showing key parameters like exhaust cam angles, cat temperature, oxygen sensors (big gremlin here) and other errors recorded. In short, you must become a bit of an expert on your car.

7. The 360s all still use belts instead of chains. For the F430, Ferrari moved to an all chain system. Thus, for the F430 there is no need to change the timing and cam belts at 15K and 30K miles. This makes the F430 a car with a lower maintenance bill than the 360.

I use a few rules of thumb to be sure that my 360 Modena runs smoothly. First, I do not use my Ferrari as a daily driver. This is not to say that you cannot use it as such – you certainly can and I know many who do. But for me, it would be like eating fillet mignon every day. Even fillet mignon would get old if you ate it every day. When I do drive it, I always let it warm up from a cold start for at least 5 – 10 minutes. At a bare minimum I let it run until it idles down. It is best if you get some heat into the oil before taking it above 4000 RPMs. You don’t want any metal-to-metal contact in the engine. Second, I don’t put any junk miles on the car. I don’t take it on short trips. If I am going to drive it, I wait until I have an opportunity to go at least 30 – 40 miles and really enjoy the ride.

In general, if you adhere to the factory recommended maintenance schedule, the 360 Modena is one of the most reliable Ferrari's on the road. Unfortunately, no maintenance can be done by the owner due to a large amount of proprietary electronics in the car. Very few independent service centers have the diagnostic equipment. Thus the dealer is usually your only option.

Conclusion

Approach the Ferrari buying process with energy and a careful eye. The buying process can be an unforgettable and fun experience and is a big part of Ferrari ownership. If you are lucky enough to afford a factory spec Ferrari or are willing to pay the dealer for a model with merely test miles, then these rules won’t mean a lot to you. But if you are looking for a sweet deal on a used Ferrari – particularly a 360 Modena – the above should be helpful. There are some really bad cars out there that can make your Ferrari ownership a nightmare. But if you follow the guidelines above, ask the right questions and have the car inspected, you won’t get stuck with a problem 360 Modena.

If you ever have any specific questions, feel free to send me an email at downforcemedia@cox.net or send me a PM through the site.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest for the right Ferrari!

Thanks,

Dana
    Barrister

Summary

Pros:

1. Ferrari's big breakthrough design.
    2. Likely to hold at current values.
    3. Great driving car and very comfortable.
    4. Great reliability.
    5. Performance and responsiveness.
    6. Large trunk space.

Cons:

1. All maintenance must be done by the dealer.
    2. Wide footprint.
    3. Bad economy depreciation.
    4. Low front end clearance – speed bumps and steep drives can rub.
    5. Alarm system can be temperamental.
    6. It’s not a F430.

[​IMG]

6. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I had the first set of vs-xxs in the country for an m3, true story.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

LM's are the safe quality choice and you know you are going to be able to sell again without loosing your ass.

8. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

:slayer:

3 people like this.
  9. horndog

horndog Well-Known Member

+rep dawg

10. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

That your car? Looks great!

11. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

Credit to Member "Barrister" from Teamspeed

[​IMG][/quote]

Thanks - but definitely thinking 911 Turbo instead right now - the low ground clearance just won't work where I am right now. Maybe in a couple of years...

13. BBSLM

BBSLM Well-Known Member

I like these.

3 people like this.
  14. kwonster

kwonster Well-Known Member

How did you like the cayman? Negotiated 10% off msrp for a 2014 model

15. jet

jet Well-Known Member

haven't gone, i imagine 10% is excellent

that white m3 was my buddy steve's from back in the day

16. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

I'm generally not a Ferrari fan, as I haven't been tempted to drive/one yet but that 360 looks like something I could think about owning.

17. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

but aren't you "bawlin"??

next you'll say that the rollie in your avatar isn't your either :(

18. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I thought "bawlin" means that he cries a lot :confused:

19. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

I know you do not care for the headlights but the 996 Turbo has the metzger engine too.

20. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one here has a 458 or late-model gallardo at the very least.

Where are all the ballers?!