Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Kunk was really happy with his Honda Odyssey purchase. Raved about it.

I've test driven a pretty wide range of makes lately looking to get a car as an extra vehicle for my family to use and that I'd use full time if/when I move out of Manhattan. Sedan with decent mileage, creature comfort, driving dynamics and decent power are my requirements. Oh and under 60k miles and $18k. Also ideally something that can be wrenched on myself for anything short of complete engine or transmission overhaul.

2012 Kia Optima. Impressive, for a Kia. Sloped roofline has low headroom for tall passengers.

2010 Mazda 6. Only got to try the 4 cyl, composed chassis, somewhat upright driving position, engine is lacking but would like to try the 6 cyl some day. The interior was pretty poor.

2009 Acura TL. I liked the driving dynamics, direct steering, responsive engine, comfortable and supportive seat for my tall frame, somewhat compromised rear legroom and smallish trunk.

2010 Nissan Maxima. Very throaty and fun engine note. The CVT was annoying. The non-leather interior was beyond abysma; VERY cheap feeling fabrics. The size and touring comfort was nice, but not terribly communicative or confidence inspiring.

2007 Volvo S80 V8 AWD. Non sport package so it was slightly soft with lighter than ideal steering. Lovely interior and very comfortable and quiet. Equipped with every luxury amenity necessary and more. Impressive brute strength yet very refined. The V8 just sings and roars at the same time; intoxicating engine note. Biggest smile rendered.

2011 Volkswagen CC. Sharp styling and interior. Seats were slightly too small and narrow across the shoulders. The 2.0t engine lacked character and the steering was too light and numb. Far too much extra road noise leaking into the frameless doors. Very reasonably priced.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013

2. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I would call it automotive rationale. The central purpose of an automobile is to transport you, and your stuff, from point A to point B. If you may have a need for transporting lots of people, or lots of stuff, or larger stuff, the simplest, cleanest, most effective way to do that is to put a box on wheels. That's a minivan.

If there's any rationalization going on, it's in the folks who have convinced themselves, due to nothing more than discomfort with their own ego, to deny that simple, self-evident truth, in keeping with a fashionable ethos. Family men who drive SUVs over minivans give up room, accessiblity, space flexibility, and usually gas mileage, for no comparative advantage in driveability (in fact, sometimes even a penalty). Simply because the shape of the car is considered by some to be uncool? Who's doing the real automotive rationalization here?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

3. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

The other possible reason that family men drive SUV's over minivan is that they find minivan's to be ugly, generically styled boxes on wheels without the handling/capability in bad weather of a SUV, the high driving position of a SUV or the towing capacity of a SUV.

4. Douglas

SUVs aren't any inherently more or less beautiful than minivans. Neither are particularly beautiful. You think SUVs aren't generically styled?

SUV handling in all weather conditions is grossly overrated vs. many other vehicles unless you need particularly high ground clearances. In Minnesota, perhaps that's a concern. In Baltimore (or New York!) it's generally not. If you have AWD, you have what you're going to need. And I have AWD in my hot-ass minivan. (and in my 3-series coupe as well, and I was the only one on my block, including those with SUVs, in the massive snowstorms of a few years ago, who could get out of the neighborhood, and that had shit for ground clearance.)

Towing capacity, sure, maybe some SUVs do outdo minivans for towing capacity, but that's a very small subsegment of the market who need that. And I think you'd find the differences between the majority of SUVs and minivans for torque and horsepower to be quite small.

And van driving position is pretty high. You're splitting hairs here, dude.

I'm not totally panning all SUVs or their drivers, but the vast majority of SUV drivers are making nothing more than an ego decision.

5. edmorel

My SUV came with (vintage, but cleaned) Beni Ourain floor rugs, your minivan???

6. Douglas

My minivan is bedecked in the highest quality sheepskins.

7. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I learned to drive in a minivan and massive pickup truck. True story. The patina on the minivan leather seats is out of this world.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Looks like I touched a nerve here. I was referring to the person epb was talking about that was forced kicking and screaming to give up his sportscar, was given a minivan against his will, but now thinks it was the best idea ever. I'm aware that there are plenty of people who make car buying decisions on purely objective criteria, and a minivan suits them just fine.

I'm still going to give you shit about being a minivan owner, but I'll find a better reason. How do you like those power sliding doors? I'd caution you to not get your balls caught in them, but you lost those when you bought the minivan :fence:

9. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Last night my wife and I bought her a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Sahara). We traded in her 10-year-old Tahoe for it. She loves the smaller size and maneuverability. It's a fun car to drive.

10. Douglas

I might be slightly sensitive to the minivan stigma, but only because I think it's so stupid.

Cars in general are a funny thing. Even though I'm a minivan defender, I still am very glad we kept our coupe, which is a joy to drive, even as it is a PITA now that we have a child and a big house and all the THINGS that you need to move with respect to them. For us now, sensibly I think, we have one fun car for nights on the town, and one practical car for everyday hauling. But it's funny; the other day, since I was looking, I thought what I might replace the coupe with in a few years, thinking with an older child we'd eventually need four doors. So I was looking at 6-series four-doors, which I think is one of the best looking cars in BMWs lineup these days, and then comparing that with something more sane like, I dunno, a Camry. Or an Impreza. Or hell, a Kia Optima, which actually is a pretty solid looking vehicle.

I like driving, but I'm not a race car driver. There's no way I'm ever eking out more than 30% of what my 3-series is capable of. Frankly, neither are 95% of drivers. Hell, I might be better off in the a WRX than a 6-series for driving excitement. The Kia can go 90 on the highway and get a ticket too. Maybe it's slightly less enjoyable in the twisties? And every car these days has Bluetooth, satellite, USB, nav, etc etc. 80% of the "luxuries" inherent in a luxury car are standard anymore.

Yet even as I was thinking about it I kept trending back to the Bimmer. Why? Because driving a BMW just feels right to me now. Because driving a Subaru would be taking a step backwards. It's pure, utter ego. Nothing else. And I'm willing to spend, what, $30,000 to stroke my ego?

It's fucking nuts, but, yeah, probably I will.

11. Douglas

Of course I'm posting all this as a longtime member of an online forum where we spend hundreds of dollars on pocket squares, and thousands not to have shoulder divets.

12. edmorel

I like the Subaru four door. I am not a car nut, but I do enjoy driving and like cars that go fast without too much trouble. At the same time I realize that I am typically in the car with 2-3 other people so a four door sedan and a SUV are our cars. The missus and I want a "sports" car, but that will most likely be a 4 door car also as a 2 seater just would not work for us at all.

13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

It's partially ego, but also it's the same desire for luxury consumption that we see in clothing/SF and other industries. I can't explain it, but the amount of money people are willing to spend for marginal luxury/utility is enormous.

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Don't you have the A7? Audi let me drive the S7 on a track and it's pretty capable. Still long and heavy (twss) but will be plenty 'sporty' on the street.

Of course, the car to get would be the RS7...!

15. edmorel

was in line for an A7 (have the A6) but then decided to wait for the S7. Then started taking a liking to the Panamera GTS. Now in a bit of limbo, not sure what to do. I have about a year or so, my oldest doesn't start driving until next summer and the plan was to give him my car.