Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

GF I sometimes can't tell if you're serious, but working for a car dealer is hell on earth. Read the "confessions of a car salesman" on Edmunds for a good example of what I'm talking about.

I used to be a supplier to the car dealers in the LA and SFV area of SoCal and it was horrifying to see how they did business, and treated their employees. There were some good guys and ethical, well-run businesses but those were the exception.

If one is a good salesman with a thick skin and has no problem working with terrible people (or is a terrible person himself), then he would be a good fit. Otherwise you'll want to commit suicide

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I will say your post history here has certainly proven points 4, 5, and 6.

:fistbump:

3. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

That's a C6 ZR1, i.e. last generation, though in general there are only handful American cars I would consider buying, Corvette being definitely on the top.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Obviously it's a difficult job where only the top performers do really well. All these things that all you guys are mentioning are not news to me at all.

Yes, but they don't have any corporate-level jobs that interest me. Further, I'm sick of the corporate world.

I see my superiors and people who are so extremely talented and smart, getting stressed and agitated over how their bosses simply disagree with how they worded a phrase on a powerpoint slide, and I just don't want to follow down that path.

Only 20% of people are happy with their jobs and I so desperately want to have a job that makes me want to wake up in the morning. Corporate is not the answer for me.

I'm dead serious.

I think you hit the nail on the head in that it's important to find a dealership that's not sleazy and actually places a focus on customer service.. but damn, when I think of how hard you'd have to hustle to become one of the better salespeople, I envision the type of work you'd have to do and I honestly feel a sense of passion within. A sense of passion and motivation that I've never ever felt for any of the work I've done in consulting.

I'm reading the confessions of a car salesman right now and when I think about the typical car salesman, I just can't help but think I'm better equipped than them in terms of communications skills, people skills, and personality.

Not sure if you're being serious, lols.

--

One thing is for sure though: my online presence / persona is quite different from my real-life persona. I'm the type of person who can genuinely listen to you and make you feel like I care about you as a person. One of the best things to happen to me after taking my leave was my embracing of a newly-developed sense of confidence and self-worth that really, really affects how I relate and talk to people.

I'm the type of guy who can make you feel like we've made more than a superficial connection after having met, and I fucking love it. It's not fake at all.

I genuinely believe I can channel this skill + my passion for BMWs into being a competent salesman. I don't want to sell Toyotas, Chevies, Audis, or any other brand. I only want to sell BMW, and if that works out, I would definitely not object to 'moving up' and selling Porsches and other high-end vehicle brands that I respect and appreciate.

I interpret all these bad things that people use to describe working as a car salesman as challenges that I can overcome. In a way, they motivate me to break through them, and I've never felt this kind of positive reaction to any of the negative aspects of my current job.

You guys are all understandably thinking I'm crazy. I would have found this idea crazy, too, if you had asked me even a couple days back.

Besides, sales skills are so, so important.

5. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

GreenFrog

Be an engineer then, if you're truly passionate about car, make a great car..., joking aside, good luck. I don't think I am thick skin enough to be car salesman, or any salesman for that matter. I will negotiate as a buyer, but as a seller, I wouldn't really push you to buy something you didn't want or need.

p.s. have you looked at Tesla, not saying their culture would all be nice and tree hugging (it is not, just look at the boss, probably slightly better person than Steve Job), but might be something different, and Tesla is actually a good car to drive (from a friend who use to own Honda S2000 and BMW 330).

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I don't have any reason to disbelieve what you say about your skills, but the problem with that industry is that its entire ecosystem and incentive structure will force you to use that ability to connect with people to fuck them over. not just customers but coworkers. your ability to put food on the table depends on it.

but if you end up selling a car I want, I'll buy one from you for 500 over invoice less customer cash and any other active incentives. easiest sale you'll make.

ps - I have the same corporate job where people get stressed when their boss tells them to change their slides. the secret is not to give a fuck - sure I'll change the slide. whatever you want. you're the one ultimately responsible for the work, so it should say whatever you're comfortable saying. but you're not going to stress me out in the process.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

a first. somebody "sick of the corporate world" seek refuge as a car salesman.

8. nootje

nootje Senior member

I hated retail sales, and this was in something I loved, namely cigars. Hanging around in the lounge was cool, getting to smoke whatever cigar I liked was good, but in the end I was desperate for an intellectual challenge.

And btw, and don't think that having a skill in being able to relate to people will help, if anything it will only help to wear you down faster. But if you can accompany it with a lack of empathy -ergo being a sociopath- you will be very successful.

Look into teaching something with bmws, it might help. Perhaps some drifting/ racing course. And yes, I realize that being able to do that will take a lot of time, you have a steady paying job to get there..

9. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Those two lines are crucial.

Firstly never confuse social skills for an ability to sell. Using myself as an example, I have terrible social skills. I hate people, I'm an introvert, and my finest hours are spent alone, but I'm a fantastic sales person. The ability to "connect" is less and less valuable as you are selling more expensive products. I worked for a European company who had art galleries in 40 countries, and the top three salesmen were myself, a skater guy, and a goth. People weren't handing over tens of thousands of pounds because they thought they'd made a new friend.

If you really would take those negatives as challenges then you may well be a good fit. Personally I have found that the grind of constantly watching your back is too much stress to be enjoyable.

I love sales, and would never try to put someone off trying it. I've built a career out of sales, that has seen me move through multiple savile row tailors and luxury markets. But. You have picked the most cut-throat, all-or-nothing environment in which to cut your teeth. Know that going in, and you might do ok.

10. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

What do you do now?

Why not go into b2b sales, branding or marketing etc.

11. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

WE BOUGHT A MINIVAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2013 Toyota Sienna XLE.

I love it.

12. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

13. epb

epb Senior member

I swear car-makers have figured out how to make mini-vans out-gas some sort of narcotic that makes men like the things. I've been stunned at how many friends of mine trudge to the dealer grousing about losing their sports car, yet come home raving about how great their mini-van is. If ugly women figure out what chemical they're using and make a perfume with it, we're doomed.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

automotive rationalization.

that said, my dad has an older Sienna. it only comes out when taking long trips, or if more than one of his kids shows up with family in tow and we all need to go somewhere. for those purposes, it's pretty awesome.

15. rocks

rocks Senior member

:crackup:

The guys at work tease me about how once I have a child I will have to trade in the bimmer for a caravan lol..Never gonna happen, besides, I'm a jerk, have yet to meet a woman who could compel me to commit such an atrocity.