1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. horndog

horndog Distinguished Member

GreenFrog, one more post about E46s and you're liable to kill this thread for good. Let's get back on track.

Here's a guy that dropped $20K into his Nissan GTR and after receiving the car months after the build completion, the engine grenades after 40 miles. Improper rod / piston installation, spun bearings, twine used to secure the battery, see the jalopnik link (and the huge thread on GTR life) for more. What a nightmare. Owner is taking the incompetent shop to court.

http://jalopnik.com/owner-says-18k-engine-build-ruined-nissan-gt-r-with-tw-1029580432

2. rocks

rocks Senior Member

3. gort

gort Distinguished Member

Are there any hardtop convertibles that have a moonroof besides the VW eos that are in a similar price range? (40K'ish depending on build)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

4. bawlin

bawlin Distinguished Member

5. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

So I finally saw the new 'Vette in my neighborhood. I have never liked the Corvettes, they always seemed to be missing something designwise (aside from the crappy interiors) and I always felt that it was a compromise, both from Chevy's standpoint and from the buyers standpoint. This new one, you may not like the styling but there is no compromise. Its probably the most beautiful mass produced car that has come out of the US in the last 30 years, probably longer. You can say that it is a cheap Ferrari knock off, but to me it has its own identity. The interior is still very Chevy, but nicer than any other Corvette I ever saw. The exterior is sexy, the tires and rims are right and its a car that I didn't think Chevy could make. I never thought that I would ever even consider getting a 'vette but this has changed my mind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My only issue with it right now is this hood badge, I hate it, would have preferred nothing or at worse a piece of glass looking into the engine (although now that I think about it, this may be that)

[​IMG]

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

You realize that is a C6 ZR1 and not the "new" corvette stingray?

7. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I did not :blush: Shows you how much I know about Corvettes. So I guess that is two corvettes that I would consider getting.

8. gort

gort Distinguished Member

I was about to say....pretty sure the new corvettes hadn't hit the streets yet (have they?).

9. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

So... I don't know where else to post this, but I'm actually considering quitting my job to become a BMW car salesman.

I'm dead serious.

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Stylish Dinosaur

LOL

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

1. I love the brand
    2. I love the cars -- I actually believe in the product (well, the latest models less so, but still)
    3. I am tall and attractive
    4. I have great listening skills
    5. I am excellent at reading people
    6. I am good at building rapport with strangers

Honestly, the more and more I think about this, the more and more excited I get. It's risky as fuck but that almost makes it more appealing. Even if I flame out and fail hardcore and long for another corporate, cock-sucking job, this could be a unique story.

I have more than a year's worth of living expenses saved up.

AHH I'm seriously, seriously considering this!

In a way, I've finally seen the light that chasing prestige, money, and all this stupid shit is worth nothing at the end of the day. I want to have a job that I enjoy and look forward to.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

13. bawlin

bawlin Distinguished Member

People actually BUY new BMW's? I thought they were all leased... :bigstar:

14. Blackhood

Blackhood Distinguished Member

The environment in the US might be different to the UK but here new car salesman is a painfully difficult job.

Most dealerships will fire you if you miss target three times in a year.
    You will never have another weekend.
    Your cash-flow is entirely dependent on performance. You may only bring home $1500 one month and $6,000 the next.
    You're in a constant cock-fight with your fellow salesmen (I've heard from friends some terrible stories, constant poaching of customers, hiding demo keys, damaging a car that you're about to sell just to get the customer over to another version)

Before I worked in tailoring I sold art and had a lot of friends who could sell ice to penguins. They were offered jobs at VAG/Merc/Jaguar/BMW and accepted based on the higher (potential) salary and perceived perks. Most lasted a year, some less, and one still works there.

I'm a salesman through and through, but even I wouldn't consider the gladiator-style alpha-male contest that is car sales unless I was truly financially independent and doing it just for fun. Far too much risk of turning into Gill from The Simpsons.

15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Stylish Dinosaur

GreenFrog, you realize that BMW may have other jobs besides sales, right?