Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

Agreed with the plastics, but otherwise the car's dynamic is spot on. It only weights about 1100kg which is like base BMW E30 territory.

2. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

its a strange car that one. friend had a cooper s.

first time driving it resembled a scaled down version of my s2000 in characterisics - nimble, light, urgent.

second time diving it was thoroughly annoying. bumpy bouncy suspension without payoff in overall handling. stiffer clutch pedal with too-short travel. hefty and short gear change but absolutely lacking the *precision* of honda transmission. ugh-seats.

and that interior design was UGLY both times around. gross.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

If you don't like driving a cooper, you are driving it wrong, it should be driven like an Italian would drive it.

4. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Don't get me wrong, it moves forward well and dices around corners but the massive steering wheel, lack of any interior space and play-pen style interior just doesn't endear me to the car at all. The clutch is too heavy for start-stop traffic and gears are just a mess. Nowdays owners are paying BMW prices for the extras and servicing costs, and to me it feels neither like a baby BMW nor the ultra-go-kart that the original mini was.

5. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Sorry to interrupt all the discussion about cars we don't drive, but I actually got my hands dirty (really dirty) this past weekend with one of my cars. As some of you are probably aware, for many years Ferrari used some sort of coatings on their interior pieces that deteriorates over time, resulting in a sticky and gooey mess. This problem plagues cars well into the 430 run. It's a real pain in the ass, this tarry mess will stain your skin and ruin your clothes. The only real solution is to refinish the pieces, because replacing with original parts will only buy you a couple of years before the new ones start to deteriorate. There are a couple of companies that perform the refinishing, and they are very, very pricey (thousands of dollars to redo all of the coated parts).

So, I figured if I was going to have to go to the trouble of taking the car apart to send the parts off anyway, I would give the refinishing a shot myself. Worse comes to worst, I phuck it up and just send them off to the pros. It was a long day of disassembling, stripping, priming and painting, but I'm very pleased with the results. The HVAC panel is a little warped so I will have to purchase a replacement for that, but otherwise, the rest looks as good as new (better, really, because it won't melt over time!).

Before:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  6. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

TC: Went through the same thing with my father's 355 spider a few years ago but didn't try to DIY. This looks good (other than the HVAC, which you mentioned replacing).

7. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Quoted for posterity. So "speed ties to momentum" is what you take from all this? You really have no idea what you are talking about.

:facepalm:

TC: panels look great. I think the warped HVAC panel adds character.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

It's been some time since I had high school physics so maybe they've changed the formula for momentum so it no longer includes velocity? I could be wrong and am incorrect concerning what mass x velocity gives us and that speed is the "size" of velocity. As we both agree I do not have any real knowledge so my being wrong would make perfect sense here.

So what type of car do you drive, UnF?

9. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Thanks! I was very reluctant to attempt it, but it turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be. The hardest part was taking everything apart and putting it back together, which I could do in 1/3 the time next go round.

LOL, thanks! The effect is greatly exaggerated in the photos, it's not nearly as noticeable IRL. I will probably live with it for a while.

10. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I drive a 4wd vehicle that obeys the laws of physics. So do you, you just don't realize that Newton came along and shook everything up.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. Piobaire

P = MV.

> M = > P

V = rate of change of position (speed) + direction

Therefore > V = > P

A fast heavy vehicle will have more momentum than a slow light one. Now let us stop fucking up this thread?

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I want a F355 :fu:

13. Piobaire

I keep thinking about a fast car but just have so many other things to spend my money on. :(

14. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

A fast car will get you to places where you can spend your money faster! Think about the possibilities!

15. Kai

Kai Senior member

I love those gated shifters. One of the reasons I'd love a Testa Rossa. Last V12 Ferrari with a proper gated shifter.